Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake dust on new FiST

Does anyone else have a lot of brake dust accumulate on the wheels right after cleaning the wheels?

I washed wheels and between the wash and home the dust was heavy on the wheels again.

should I change the OEM pads? If so, what brand is recommended??

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Yeah, that was about 300 miles of daily driving iirc-the first week I had the wheels installed.

I rarely endorse ArmorAll products, but I figured I would try out their brake-dust repellent stuff and it has honestly made life much more bearable. It only does a good job for the first two weeks, but even after that it still keeps the wheels much more presentable than having nothing applied.

Yeah, these cars just generate ridiculous amounts of brake dust. We'll see what happens when I switch up to new pads.

me32

1000 Post Club
Do a search this has been talk about in a huge thread. Also if you want great braking there is a trade off. If you don't like it buy some autozone pads an you'll be happy.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
having to clean wheels every other day or so is annoying, however, knowing that the stock pads can take all sorts of abuse makes it ok. Remember that even if you don't touch the brake pedal, there are all sorts of systems that are using the brakes for different things.

I use a wheel wax applied monthly and started using quick detailer every week. I will see how that combo helps keep the wheels clean. It was suggested to me during the Fiesta Movement that if you don't like to have dirty wheels, pick the rado grey option. Ford now offers the same for the Focus ST as well for those who dislike the look of dirty wheels. Remember things could be worse, you could have Focus ST brakes, meaning they make all the same dust but work poorly.

me32

1000 Post Club
having to clean wheels every other day or so is annoying, however, knowing that the stock pads can take all sorts of abuse makes it ok. Remember that even if you don't touch the brake pedal, there are all sorts of systems that are using the brakes for different things.

I use a wheel wax applied monthly and started using quick detailer every week. I will see how that combo helps keep the wheels clean. It was suggested to me during the Fiesta Movement that if you don't like to have dirty wheels, pick the rado grey option. Ford now offers the same for the Focus ST as well for those who dislike the look of dirty wheels. Remember things could be worse, you could have Focus ST brakes, meaning they make all the same dust but work poorly.
Good info. I actually used a good wax on my gt500 rims it helped a lot with brake dust. I will do the same on the st. Im actually ok with the brake dust before the braking on the st stock is damn good compared to other cars I've driven.

From my experience there always seem to be a trade off with brake pads; noisy, make a lot of dust, lots of initial bight, only work great when hot and so on.
On the NA Miata i had i found it was easier to change wheel color then constantly clean my wheels, but thats me I don't like to spend more time than necessary cleaning my car. I do like it clean but I'm not ready for a car show every day.
These pads are dusty tho and the wax/repellent seems interesting to me.