Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake replacement coming up, what should I do?

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering everyone votes on what I should do brake wise for my fist. I drive it all year (in canada), mostly spirited country driving but I wanted to know is it worth it to upgrade to aftermarket pads/rotors? Maybe just slotted rotors with OEM pads due to the great initial bite? Any input is welcome. I was looking at stoptech or hawk. Brake dust is not a concern for me it is mostly performance I am after and of course safety.

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering everyone votes on what I should do brake wise for my fist. I drive it all year (in canada), mostly spirited country driving but I wanted to know is it worth it to upgrade to aftermarket pads/rotors? Maybe just slotted rotors with OEM pads due to the great initial bite? Any input is welcome. I was looking at stoptech or hawk. Brake dust is not a concern for me it is mostly performance I am after and of course safety.
I have the stoptech front slotted rotors with hawk pads all around and for spirited driving its a great setup. Quiet braking and less dust, still a lot, but less. However when I autocross in >80deg weather I start to boil my brake fluid and my abs sensors go haywire. So wilwood is on my list. But if your mostly just doing twisties I say fo for it, good upgrades for a decent price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
EnioMagFiST
Thread Starter #3
I have the stoptech front slotted rotors with hawk pads all around and for spirited driving its a great setup. Quiet braking and less dust, still a lot, but less. However when I autocross in >80deg weather I start to boil my brake fluid and my abs sensors go haywire. So wilwood is on my list. But if your mostly just doing twisties I say fo for it, good upgrades for a decent price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
What level of hawk pads do you use?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads if your never going to Autocross or track it. I've rolled them since 24k now at 60k. Stopping very linear....doesn't activate the Abs when you mash on it harder than normal but does if you hammer the brakes. Dust...very very minimal! I'm satisfied with them....higher end equals higher price. Good luck...oh I also have cryoed front Slotted rotors and normal slotted rears from Stoptech I do believe.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Zormecteon

I just replaced my pads (for the second time) with mountune rsr street pads. I also installed the slotted rotors. I stopped by the shop a two weeks later to tell them I didn't know how they could be any better. They are fabulous. I drive spiritedly.
YMMV
My 2¢

I am at 45 K mi. on my 2016 and soon to need pads and rotors according the local Ford dealership. They are quoting me $390 for the front pads and rotors. The OEM works for me but this seems a high price.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That sounds about right if they are doing the work.
If that's just parts yeah that's high.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Depends on track time and usage. I've enjoyed the Hawk HPS for daily driving, but they won't have the bite of the stock pads. HPS will have significantly less brake dust. If you don't care about noise and do a couple AutoX event a year, I like the HP+. Great bite but a ton of noise.

I did a bunch of research and decided to go with EBC yellows for pads and their slotted and dimpled rotors all the way around. They are quiet and less dusty than stocks but still dusty. They really start to bite if you use them hard once and warm them up. They have about the same initial bite as stock even when cold. The difference comes in when making hard stops/or repeated stops. They then have a ton of initial bite and perform stops that on stock brakes would result in abs kicking in now just have a very satisfying hum as it stops like an roller coaster pulling up to let you off. I liked them so much I actually glazed them a little when breaking them in. Cause I couldn't believe how well they worked together. I think it was just the pads but there was a lot of smoke haha. They now stop much better than stock. I havent raced them but I did use dot 4 fluid for a flush and ss lines. I think they were well worth the price although the rotors can handle more than the pads from what i can tell. I used a infrared thermometer to check temps and the rotors cool down very fast.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Stock summer pads and autozone heavy duty rotors. No need for high buck rotors, they are a consumable and should be treated as such.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I just replaced my pads (for the second time) with mountune rsr street pads. I also installed the slotted rotors. I stopped by the shop a two weeks later to tell them I didn't know how they could be any better. They are fabulous. I drive spiritedly.
YMMV
My 2¢
How long did the first set last?

Zormecteon

The original equipment pads were replaced at about 40,000 (41.052). The reason for replacing the second set was warped rotors. I take care of my car but I had lent it out and it was driven by my son and by my son-in-law. I don't know that they for sure did it, it's more of a "post hoc ergo proctor hoc" thing. I believe the mountune pads were good, but one should use new pads with new rotors.