Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakes!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm in the market to upgrade the brakes on my car. I try to track my FiST at least 3-4 times a year and want brakes that can DD and handle some track duty.

I'm currently running my stock brakes with the Mountune RS-R pads. Seems to be okay, but I was thinking about also picking up the vented rotors by stoptech off of the mountune site as well.

What do you think? Any help is appreciated!

Frank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Slotted rotors that are cryoed off rockauto....best thing I can say...stay away from drilled rotors....no go there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
ALL of the front rotors for our cars are "vented", what you are looking at is called "slotted" as Typhoon above pointed out.

And yes, I also agree to stay FAR away from any cross drilled rotors, which I will do even if they are cast into the mold for the rotors and not drilled as an afterthought.
(WAY TOO MANY chances of heat cracks/stress risers with even properly chamfered holes!! [nono])

I found the best improvements came from hi-temp fluid and brake cooling ducts. Here's the diy instructions for the cooling duct installation - https://tinyurl.com/htuzdvd
It's easy and cheap. And it works well with stock pads and rotors.

I'm happy with the carbotech pads I got from oakos. I went with the ones suited for AutoX but they also have track pads that wake up around 100 degrees. I have those paired with cryo slotted rotors in the front and can't complain. I'm also running Castrol SRF for good measure.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
I'm happy with the carbotech pads I got from oakos. I went with the ones suited for AutoX but they also have track pads that wake up around 100 degrees. I have those paired with cryo slotted rotors in the front and can't complain. I'm also running Castrol SRF for good measure.
Do you swap your rotors and pads before heading out to the track? I don't have a ton of track experience and trying to find a sustainable and budget friendly solution haha

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I found the best improvements came from hi-temp fluid and brake cooling ducts. Here's the diy instructions for the cooling duct installation - https://tinyurl.com/htuzdvd
It's easy and cheap. And it works well with stock pads and rotors.
Yes, I would agree with going this route. Proper cooling and fluid, and bleeding before and after track events will go a long way to improving brake performance for much less investment. You could also remove the splash shields from the back of the rotor or use them to attach cooling ducts. On my Mustang, I have brake ducts built into the front bumper and 3" blower fans installed in the hoses and have the ducts pointed into the center of the rotor. This allows the internal vents to pull fresh air through the rotor for better cooling. You want the cooling to be consistent.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Yes, I would agree with going this route. Proper cooling and fluid, and bleeding before and after track events will go a long way to improving brake performance for much less investment. You could also remove the splash shields from the back of the rotor or use them to attach cooling ducts. On my Mustang, I have brake ducts built into the front bumper and 3" blower fans installed in the hoses and have the ducts pointed into the center of the rotor. This allows the internal vents to pull fresh air through the rotor for better cooling. You want the cooling to be consistent.
This is some solid advice. Would I be able to run cooling ducts even in the winter with snow?

You could fabricate some type of plug or cover it with black racer's tape. I keep mine open all year. Even with all the rain in WA state and having the dust shields removed, my brake response is immediate in the wet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you swap your rotors and pads before heading out to the track? I don't have a ton of track experience and trying to find a sustainable and budget friendly solution haha

There's no such thing as a sustainable or affordable track exp....go big or go home....its always been a pay to play kind of deal man....but if you wanna stay cheap.....Rockauto has been the best place to find the least expensive rotors by far put of numerous businesses I've called and they are of good quality. Always....always do your research and put in the time to get what you want. I think I spent close to almost $400 to get what I wanted and it's been spectacular for aggressive street driving and low dust on the wheels was the biggest deal and factory pad feel. I went with carbotech pads.....call them....tell them what your looking for and they will help you at oakos! Good luck ...have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
This is some solid advice. Would I be able to run cooling ducts even in the winter with snow?

I would either tape over the opening or just point the duct away from the rotors in the winter. You don't want to overcool the brakes. On my Mustang, I point the ducts away from the rotor on the street and then move them back to the center of the rotor for the track. I run Hawk HP+ pads on the street and they need some heat to work properly.