Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broken Turbosmart Kompact bov......can it be fixed

Finally wrestled the thing out. First thing I wanna say is NEVER AGAIN. You can judge for urself from the pics, but I don't think it needed the maintenance. Not so much so that makes it worth the absolute curse fest it is to get the bastard out...and then back in lol

There's some wear showing but the piston was still smooth in the discolored areas when I re-lubed it so all good.

One thing of note is that the whoosh replacement screws advertised to work for the GFB don't...at all. They're tooooo long and bottom out (so much cursing). Notice in the pics the length of the brand new screw vs the GFB units. I reused the screw i stripped... pure luck. Thanks Ron. Hope he takes them back and pays for shipping!

Originally installed November 2017 with about 22k. I'm at 61,400 so ur looking at about 40k miles, with Strat tune.
View attachment 42885 View attachment 42886 View attachment 42887 View attachment 42888 View attachment 42889 View attachment 42890
I borrowed some pics from another thread. Thanks to OP for posting pics.

My turbosmart kompact bov blew apart today. Anybody know if I can buy replacement guts? I put it back together, but all the inside bits are gone. Piston spring anything else that's supposed to be inside is gone and I'll need

Thanks

Last edited:

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Took me a minute to understand why I'm quoted here but my post was in regard to the GFB diverter, not the Turbosmart.

OP
svtcanuck
Thread Starter #3
Hmmm, apologies. I must have misread the thread. I thought the pics were of the turbosmart.

I would bet probably not. your best bet I would think would be to email turbo smart themselves.

Honestly, the cheapest option I would think (unless it's still under warranty) would be to buy a used one.

OP
svtcanuck
Thread Starter #5
My other question, because i honestly don't fully understand what it does, is it ok to drive? Am i going to hurt the engine driving with a bov with no internals?

There have been many turbo cars throughout the years that didn't come from the factory with a bov, and in those cases I'm sure it's fine (my '93 Toyota Celica Alltrac didn't have one). The bov is used to vent the air pressure in the intake when you close the throttle. There's a short period of time when the throttle is closed, but the turbo keeps spinning and making boost pressure. In your/our case, I woudn't hesistate to drive it the way it is, but I would be careful not to make a lot of boost.

From my understanding when not having a bov, that extra air (pressure) tries to stall the compressor wheel of the turbo which puts some load on the shaft & bearing (in the turbo). In some cases, like my alltrac, perhaps that loading was minor so they decided not to install a bov. I think my Alltrac made 12psi as the factory maximum. I suspect in cases of high boost that the loads could cause a problem over time.

well, if the BOV is left closed, it can cause turbo surge with is very hard on the turbo. there is a reason it's there, I wouldn't recommend it.

If it's left open, you'll be leaking a good bit of boost.

do you still have your stock diverter valve? I would throw that on. if you really need to drive it and you have an accessport, you could put it in eco mode (which will limit the boost)

OP
svtcanuck
Thread Starter #8
No stock parts, i bought the car already tuned and modified, 4 years ago. Although i could get a stock part from a friend.

Contacted Ron@whoosh. He has part in stock and can get it to me in time for next race day.

Turbosmart stil hasn't replied. Ron got back to me in under an hour.