Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can someone with an st200 airbox post some sounds/impressions?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I decided the 2j is amazing but not for me, I spent way too much time at the perfect RPM that it drilled my brain; I'll cook up a post or a reply to one of my 2j posts about my noise/vibe mitigation experiments. I was also wondering, does the ST200 airbox actually sound substantively different? Any chance of some sound clips? I know the Cobb intake uses the stock box but still manages to sound intake-y, I'm hoping the ST200 airbox does as well. I also have an injen intake sitting around I can toss back on, but theres nothing quite like OEM style fitment.

The only video I really found of the st200 airbox sound was of some dude thrashing his car in the driveway revving, I'd like some actual driving sounds if anyone has any. I don't care about outside, I want a little noise from the driver's seat.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the mountune. Same thing. It's a little louder than stock, but not by much. From the outside, it's whoosh-ier, but inside, you only hear it louder when you're on the boost. An intake hose makes a little more noise, so much that I deleted the symposer. Now I hear the whoosh-pshh pretty well when I get on it, don't notice it when I'm just putting around.
If you like all the noises, it probably won't do it for you.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That was probably my video if it had exhaust clips in it. I didn't notice really any sound difference. I didn't notice a difference in my intake sound until I replaced the hot side charge pipe, and I only hear that sound at full boost.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
That was probably my video if it had exhaust clips in it. I didn't notice really any sound difference. I didn't notice a difference in my intake sound until I replaced the hot side charge pipe, and I only hear that sound at full boost.

lol no i dont think it was you i think it was a younger kid, you're in your 30's arent you?

the hot side sound is the little whistle on boost right? I kinda dig it :p

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
lol no i dont think it was you i think it was a younger kid, you're in your 30's arent you?

the hot side sound is the little whistle on boost right? I kinda dig it :p
View: https://youtu.be/DHgMcEiqhug

Yeah I would say the hot side charge pipe has a little bit of a whistle noise. What's funny is the noise increased when I put a rear motor mount on it. I'm 29 but very mature for my age. Wife is 34.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have the ST200 I put it in the at the same time I put in my Whoosh crossover pipe. I noticed I could hear the stock diverter valve letting off and some whoosh. I then put in Mountune intake hose and now I hear more whoosh and let off from the stock blow off. I have a Turbosmart em. Plumb back going in. I also have a Mountune charge pipe I am putting in.
I have thought about a venturi velocity stack to put on the end of the cold air tube as well that might enhance intake suction and noise

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I own a ST200 air box......the main reason of purchase was to keep it stock looking and I liked the fact of having the air hose in the bottom. This giving me the ability to route it too outside ambient Temp air. Now that I have a set of Fog lights that can now let cold air in due to being hooked up to the hose is something else! Love it!

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Barf - I'm so tired of CA. I've half a mind to move to another state; other than being taxed to death because I made good decisions years ago, I can't even have fun with my car :|

There's an unpunched fitting in the side of the airbox, I wonder if I could drill that out and run it into the symposer hose lol

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
View: https://youtu.be/DHgMcEiqhug

Yeah I would say the hot side charge pipe has a little bit of a whistle noise. What's funny is the noise increased when I put a rear motor mount on it. I'm 29 but very mature for my age. Wife is 34.

No it def wasn't your video - I would say maybe you should break that out into several separate videos; it helps people find specific content and you'll get more clicks. On one of my YT accounts I do basic tutorials for cybersecurity stuff and it makes enough to pay my internet bill each month :p

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you see the deal on the mountune intake on the Ford performance thread? The intake hose is pre-'16, but you could sell it and get the newer mountune hose.

Again, it might not make the noise you want, but it's a true CAI.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Mine is in transit so I should have it in the next day or too . [twothumb] [wrenchin]
Sweet!

One thing I noticed - previously I was using the Injen intake with a Turbosmart EM vr2 dual-port (loud) diverter valve. I switched to the plumb-back when I installed the 2j intake, then when I went back to the Injen the entire intake is a LOT quieter than it used to be with the dual-port, and much quieter than with the stock DV. The stock DV made it so the 2j or Injen intakes were constantly "breathing". It's weird but the turbosmart valves seem in every way.. "tighter", if that makes sense.

Installed the ST200 box last week and I can barely tell the difference to the stock box. I can just barely hear the DV sometimes and I would say overall intake racket is maybe 15-20% louder than OEM. It's most noticeable revving it in the garage honestly. Running it with the OEM filter now but my green drop-in will be here next week. That might add a little more noise.

I have had all the noise and BS that sometimes comes with open intakes and valves. This time I wanted to keep it low key, OEM fitment, quality, and appearance, and probably the same or better actual performance than any of the open stuff. This fits the bill perfectly for me. If we had more OEM+ or euro only crap to choose from I would do it.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have the ST200 airbox Whoosh crossover pipe amd Mountune Intake hose. I put in the Airbox and crossover pipe at the same time and my stock dv suddenly become audible with my window down. You could here the Whoosh as it let off. When I installed my Mountune intake pipe it made that sound a bit more audible. Each time there has been a bit of an increase.

While I like some blowoff noise I am not after tons as on a daily driver it can get annoying if its excessive and I have deiven next to FiST’s on the freeway that were loud and letting off comstantly.

Last edited:
I have the ST200 airbox Whoosh crossover pipe amd Mountune Intake hose. I put in the Airbox and corssover pipe at the same time and my stock dv suddenly become audible with my window down. You could here the Whoosh as it let off. When I installed my Mountune intake pipe it made hat sound a bit more audible. Each time there has been a bit of an increase.

While I like some blowoff noise I am not after tons as on a daily driver it can get annoying if its excessive and I have deiven next to FiST’s on the freeway that were loud and letting off comstantly.

That's probably the road I am headed down. Good to hear that it gets incrementally louder and not just silly instantly.

Spork1569

I have the ST200 airbox Whoosh crossover pipe amd Mountune Intake hose. I put in the Airbox and crossover pipe at the same time and my stock dv suddenly become audible with my window down. You could here the Whoosh as it let off. When I installed my Mountune intake pipe it made that sound a bit more audible. Each time there has been a bit of an increase.

This is where I'm hopefully heading with my intake. Installed mountune induction hose last week and just ordered the crossover pipe to install next, and will hopefully order st 200 box next check.

I'm hoping for something loud enough to enjoy myself when I want to listen for it, but nothing overtly loud as to cause unwanted attention. That's what lead me to choose the DV plus over an actual BOV this time around.

Last car was a veloster turbo with an injen intake and Forge BOV and while I enjoyed it I would not want that level of noise again. Everyone I stepped off the gas my girlfriend said it sounded like when a bus let's off its air brakes but louder lol. Plus living in CA not trying to give the cops another reason to Ref me.

I took the hood blanket off this morning and that freed up a bit more sound. Can actually hear the DV sometimes with the windows down. My Green drop-in will be here tomorrow to finish this thing off.