Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car breaking up at WOT.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I am running E40, stock heat plugs and whoosh coil packs. I’m going to swap the coil packs back to stock to see if that solves it.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Somehow your thread title made me think of this

Depending on what you mean by breaking up, it could be not enough spark, too much heat, or timing. Or not enough fuel. Or boost leak.
Diluted E40 back down to around E33. Did a 3rd gear pull, car was hesitating badly under WOT or high boost.

Went home changed whoosh coil packs back to stock. Immediately went out and did a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear pull. No problems. Bad coil packs.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Ron wants me to swap them back in and monitor which coil/cylinder is causing the problem. Probably will wait until this weekend, I want my torque for my daily commute.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Which parameters should I be observing to see cylinder misfires?

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I swapped the whoosh coils back in as requested. I tried a 3rd gear pull and I could feel the misfires. 101 counts in a single partial pull. I only got to 21psi before I let off. No issues all week on my stock coils.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
bah i was looking for something starting with "cyl" lol

I like the accessport but its 2023, I sure wish it could show more than 6 monitors at a time and had a better input schema.

Like if you could create profiles from your computer or phone and then just switch profiles on the AP, that would be sweet.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
And for anyone wondering, after I swapped back in the stock coils (again same stock heat NGK spark plugs), I monitored the same parameters, immediately did another 3rd gear pull and I hit 25psi and not a single knock count in any cylinder, and zero misfires.

And for anyone wondering, after I swapped back in the stock coils (again same stock heat NGK spark plugs), I monitored the same parameters, immediately did another 3rd gear pull and I hit 25psi and not a single knock count in any cylinder, and zero misfires.
What made you decide to change out the OEM ignition coils to begin with - age?

DEss

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
What made you decide to change out the OEM ignition coils to begin with - age?

DEss
Yes, I have 148,000 miles on the car and I had a rough idle and hard starting during the winter with the step colder plugs because they were fouling. Changed back to stock heat plugs and figured I getting new coils wouldn’t hurt.