Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car doesnt want to start.

Zormecteon

Very possible, but unlikely.

Was the replacement starter a new OEM part or a remanufactured(aftermarket) part? I work in the automotive industry and its not entirely uncommon to have brand new parts that are bad out of the box.
Norry's Law: Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good.

OP
I
Thread Starter #22
Very possible, but unlikely.

Was the replacement starter a new OEM part or a remanufactured(aftermarket) part? I work in the automotive industry and its not entirely uncommon to have brand new parts that are bad out of the box.
Brand new, ordered it online so it'll be a headache to replace.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
In a prior car, the starter wasn't being engaged due to an interrupt switch (that only liked to malfunction in frigid weather). The interrupt switch for manual shift vehicles is the clutch pedal switch. We have two. But before making that leap of assumption, put a volt meter on the starter positive for the starter solenoid to see whether it's even getting power. If it's getting power, use voltage drop testing to eliminate the possibility of a weak connection. If it's not getting power, verify whether your clutch pedal switches are functioning proper. If the switch is bad enough, it might show high resistance. Otherwise voltage drop test the switch to verify.

slopoke

Until Intuit mentioned the clutch safety switch, I totally forgot about it. I think he's probably hit the nail on the head. I would pull the connector off of the switch and place a jumper into the plug, simulating activating the switch and try to start it. Crossing my fingers for you.

I just reread the OPs initial post and since there is clicking, the switch is working and I'm assuming that the starter solenoid is what is doing the clicking. Maybe pull the starter out and leave it connected and see if it operates? You can do it yourself by taking a video with your phone. Now I'm scratching my head as to what it could be.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
just reread the OPs initial post and since there is clicking, the switch is working and I'm assuming that the starter solenoid is what is doing the clicking.
Prior car I ran a jumper wire directly from the battery to the starter solenoid. Double, triple, quadruple and quintuple checked to make sure the trans was in neutral even though the wheels were up in the air anyway. Also kept the key out of the ignition because I didn't want the engine to start with me under it. Starter consistently engaged each and every time I touched the wire to the starter terminal. In addition to having the jack stands, jack, there were some boards placed under the frame behind the front wheels. Can't be too safe with over 1.5 tons perched over ya.

OP
I
Thread Starter #27
It was not the clutch safety switch.

I took it to my favorite shop and it took them a bit of time but it was a relay from the BCM that wasn't kicking correct voltage. It was high enough not to be a problem anywhere visibly but low enough it wasn't actually doing its job.

I appreciate all the help, yall rock.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
🤔 May have meant RFA module?
Wonder what codes were in the system for the BCM to have been suspected?

Ah, I see in the description...
1673226080058.png
... I didn't see the BCM in the diagrams ...

1673225488583.png

1673225588603.png

Clutch switch below shows as BCM and PCM, but above is RFA?

More info...
1673226263943.png
1673226285278.png
1673227048264.png