Car misfires in cylinder 2 at 100mph.

Member ID
This is not my car I’m talking about but asking for a friend. He has a 2017 fiesta st he just bought with 70k miles . and as far as I know it’s tuned on93, has a 2jr intake setup , a guardian angel map setup, a upgraded inter cooler , borla exhaust ,and miscellaneous cosmetic parts . Car runs fine and pulls 23.4 psi at peak boost. After 100mph every time the check engine light comes on for a misfire in cylinder 2 . We changed out for new spark plugs and coil packs . Any ideas ?

OP
T
Member ID
Thread Starter #3
It has a brand new set of ngk ruthenium’s and duralast coil packs that he bought so they should be good?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID
It has a brand new set of ngk ruthenium’s and duralast coil packs that he bought so they should be good?
Like @Capri to ST said, I'd try switching the plugs and coils to see if the problem cylinder changes. Also even if the spark plugs claim to be gapped a certain amount, I'd still double check them to confirm that they're correct.

Sam4

Member ID
and perhaps that 'dial the spark plug' thingy - orient the gap/spark into the fuel stream instead of possibly blocked by the ground electrode.

It's not the physics textbook related to the Bilstein B6/8 discussion, but there's truth to it at 100mph. Everything makes a difference there... (amazing discussion on those shocks/suspension in general)

Member ID
Like @Capri to ST said, I'd try switching the plugs and coils to see if the problem cylinder changes. Also even if the spark plugs claim to be gapped a certain amount, I'd still double check them to confirm that they're correct.
Seconding to double-check the plug gaps. Pre-gapped sets I've bought have varied wildly and been inconsistent even within the 4 purchased together. Whoosh has a gaping tool and feeler gauge set for sale as of recently. ;)

OP
T
Member ID
Thread Starter #9
Checked all the gaps they were good just had a bad coil pack! Thank you guys for your help my buddy really appreciates it!! It was just so odd at only 100 mph it would misfire 🤷‍♂️

Member ID
"Checked all the gaps they were good just had a bad coil pack! Thank you guys for your help my buddy really appreciates it!! It was just so odd at only 100 mph in Mexico it would misfire 🤷‍♂️"

fixed that for you.

OP
T
Member ID
Thread Starter #11
"Checked all the gaps they were good just had a bad coil pack! Thank you guys for your help my buddy really appreciates it!! It was just so odd at only 100 mph in Mexico it would misfire 🤷‍♂️"

fixed that for you.
my apologies I forgot to inform the people that I am friends with border patrol and take weekly trips to mexico 😈

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Member ID
^^^That link article seems VERY self-contradictory in parts. [???:)]

Also, they do NOT define "high engine speeds" at all.

Depending on engine design (valvetrain, bore vs. stroke dimensions, etc.) the power band's upper peak could be maxxed-out at anything from 5500 revs to 9000+ revs for a street car, so even more confusion yet. [dunno]

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Member ID
^^^That link article seems VERY self-contradictory in parts. [???:)]

Also, they do NOT define "high engine speeds" at all.

Depending on engine design (valvetrain, bore vs. stroke dimensions, etc.) the power band's upper peak could be maxxed-out at anything from 5500 revs to 9000+ revs for a street car, so even more confusion yet. [dunno]
I think some of these spark plug designs are gimmicky, but Tune+ has found some benefits depending on the application.

View: https://m.facebook.com/adamtuned/posts/1008226939606328