Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cat or no cat

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Getting all the pieces together to eventually upgrade the turbo
Still makes no sense. There are lots of S280's and 2860's making big power through the stock down pipe, so staying with a stock DP would have gotten you $175+shipping closer to your turbo upgrade.

Right here is the problem - the EPA cares a lot more about people dumping soot out of their diesels with tunes and folks removing their cats for.... reasons than they do about our moderate tunes on gas engines and turbo upgrades, which make very little more emissions (unless you are popping and banging). So, because folks are rolling coal and leaving a stinky trail of fumes behind them the EPA is cracking down and enthusiasts who are looking for more fun at little additional cost to the environment are caught up in the sweep.

Although I am wary of additional regulations b/c of they are usually too broad to leave room for those of us that aren't having a material additional effect with our tunes and turbos, I don't have any sympathy for people getting fined for their ridiculous diesel tunes and who are removing emissions equipment from their cars. Nor do I have any sympathy for the vendors that are supplying them. If fining these owners and vendors into compliance gives the rest of us room to enjoy our cars with little further environmental impact, I'm all for it.

All that said, CARB is a tad over the top...

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Still makes no sense. There are lots of S280's and 2860's making big power through the stock down pipe, so staying with a stock DP would have gotten you $175+shipping closer to your turbo upgrade.

Right here is the problem - the EPA cares a lot more about people dumping soot out of their diesels with tunes and folks removing their cats for.... reasons than they do about our moderate tunes on gas engines and turbo upgrades, which make very little more emissions (unless you are popping and banging). So, because folks are rolling coal and leaving a stinky trail of fumes behind them the EPA is cracking down and enthusiasts who are looking for more fun at little additional cost to the environment are caught up in the sweep.

Although I am wary of additional regulations b/c of they are usually too broad to leave room for those of us that aren't having a material additional effect with our tunes and turbos, I don't have any sympathy for people getting fined for their ridiculous diesel tunes and who are removing emissions equipment from their cars. Nor do I have any sympathy for the vendors that are supplying them. If fining these owners and vendors into compliance gives the rest of us room to enjoy our cars with little further environments impact, I'm all for it.

All that said, CARB is a tad over the top...
Pretty well said and ya if your gonna play you gotta pay in my opinion. Oh and ya CARB is a bit over the top. Yet I would not get rid of them. There is a tendency in our country these days to throw the baby out with the bath water.
You don’t just get rid of things you fix the issues. Starting from scratch is usually a lot harder.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are some folks that are "shave weight from anything but my waistline" and air-conditioning. Won't help with them. Just a matter of priorities.

Despite having a much smaller engine and hauling a fraction of the weight, one can loose a few bwane cells riding behind some of the cruiser bikes for a length of time. Talk about getting fumigated...
I was stuck behind a putzbag (barely, as he was having some major throttle cable problems it seemed) riding an old, vintage, open piped Harley, and yeah, the PIG rich CO fumes were SO BAD that I purposely turned off of the road I was on, and went miles out of my way so as to not be stuck behind the f**kwad (the road was a solid double yellow two lane backroad for MILES, no passing and cops hide along it everywhere). [mad]

I was stuck behind a putzbag (barely, as he was having some major throttle cable problems it seemed) riding an old, vintage, open piped Harley, and yeah, the PIG rich CO fumes were SO BAD that I purposely turned off of the road I was on, and went miles out of my way so as to not be stuck behind the f**kwad (the road was a solid double yellow two lane backroad for MILES, no passing and cops hide along it everywhere). [mad]
Love the smell of an old Harley I would have stayed behind him lol

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
First vehicle I heavily worked on was a 64 Chevy C10 short bed small window. This would have been in 2004. Anyway it had a 350 V8 with a 750 Holley double pumper, full length headers and flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust. That truck sounded amazing. Absolutely nothing wrong with a classic motorcycle or classic car. Love the sound of a Harley.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Nothing wrong with them as long as YOU are not the one stuck immediately behind them, since their HC output is so filthy pig rich that it can choke you even with the windows up and the air on. [wink] [mad]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You are old and you like racing you shouldn't have a problem with classic cars/motorcycles. And if you do oh well don't really care.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You are old and you like racing you shouldn't have a problem with classic cars/motorcycles. And if you do oh well don't really care.

I like racing. I like classic cars and I like Sportbike‘s . I absolutely hate straight piped Harleys. They are the most obnoxious thing in the wheeled world IMO. They do not have to be so damn loud hell they are louder than any sportbike. They even beat out all the crackle tune AMG’s , BMW’s ,Lambo’s etc… noise level wise around here.

There is absolutely no reason for them to be that loud its pure noise pollution. Oh and I don’t want to hear the bike has to be heard sportbikes make noise and can be heard and are not nearly as obnoxious.

If you are behind a vehicle that smokes or stinks there is a very easy solution. Increase the distance between your car and the one you are following. Think about it, how much time will you save by tailgating? About the time it takes to travel a couple of hundred feet.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Nothing wrong with them as long as YOU are not the one stuck immediately behind them, since their HC output is so filthy pig rich that it can choke you even with the windows up and the air on. [wink] [mad]
Totally understand not wanting to get stunk out by someone else’s car. At least the factory five cobra stinks me out too with the side pipes so I can share the smell with you although I like it. Dumps right next where you sit. 7.1L big block with a super lumpy cam, no cats, just a big ass glasspack on either side. Makes a Harley sound quiet and wouldn’t have it any other way.

IMO I wouldn't ride anything other than a loud bike. It's an extra precautionary measure. If you can hear the motorcycle then you'll be looking for it.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I like racing. I like classic cars and I like Sportbike‘s . I absolutely hate straight piped Harleys. They are the most obnoxious thing in the wheeled world IMO. They do not have to be so damn loud hell they are louder than any sportbike. They even beat out all the crackle tune AMG’s , BMW’s ,Lambo’s etc… noise level wise around here.

There is absolutely no reason for them to be that loud its pure noise pollution. Oh and I don’t want to hear the bike has to be heard sportbikes make noise and can be heard and are not nearly as obnoxious.
I don't even ride motorcycles, so you will not hear that statement from me.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Pseduo-Hypocrite Talking:
Prior car, running the bi-metal engine cold, unbeknownst to me at the time, was causing an ashy output. Since the cat was catching all the ash, there's no way I would've known anyway. Took years, but this slowly clogged the cat to the point that I had to floor it to get up a steep hill... and would still be loosing speed. (engine couldn't breathe) I was all ready to fork-over hundreds to get a replacement cat but... all compatible models were aluminized-steel. Here, aluminized steel will last you but a year or less before it develops holes. (should be illegal to sell that thin-wall crap anywhere but down South) So... attempts at washing it out having failed, I chose to gut the thing and reinstall. Ol'factory wise, couldn't really tell it was cat-less though. Modern engine, ran pretty clean. Obviously that ordeal prompted me to correct the cold engine by replacing the faulty thermostat housing. It being a bi-metal engine (famous for scrubbing head-gaskets) I still went with a little colder thermostat though. It was nice to get some heat back for the Winters.

If you are behind a vehicle that smokes or stinks there is a very easy solution. Increase the distance between your car and the one you are following. Think about it, how much time will you save by tailgating? About the time it takes to travel a couple of hundred feet.
Yeah I doubt the people here are talking about tailgating, motorcycles especially. Probably >75% of my miles are on two wheels. Heavy smokers are obvious... cigarettes, cigars, especially weed. Tailgaters are rare and those that do I often just let them around even though they can't get any farther than the vehicle that was ahead of me. About a month ago I was on a long stretch of single-lane and had to back-off about a tenth of a mile just to make it tolerable... it was a garbage truck LoL...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
[QUOTE="Intuit, post: 457503, member: 4881”]

Yeah I doubt the people here are talking about tailgating, motorcycles especially. Probably >75% of my miles are on two wheels. Heavy smokers are obvious... cigarettes, cigars, especially weed. Tailgaters are rare and those that do I often just let them around even though they can't get any farther than the vehicle that was ahead of me. About a month ago I was on a long stretch of single-lane and had to back-off about a tenth of a mile just to make it tolerable... it was a garbage truck LoL...[/QUOTE]
Ya I don’t know how it is in your state but here ever since we legalized weed the weed smokers seem to think they can do it everywhere with impunity i.e . driving down the road hotboxing their vehicle. Man not only does it reek bad but hell if I drove down the road with a bottle of whisky open and drinking I would go to jail …open container…drinking while driving ….possibly drunk in public and drunk driving… damn just because we legalize it does not mean you can do it without rules of conduct.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If someone said you could have either vehicle free, and it was a choice between a flood-vehicle from Hurricane Ida, or a weed smoker's, I'd take that flood vehicle LoL... yeah that stuff reeks. It isn't legal here but before very recent times, they were very prejudiced when looking for it and the penalties never made sense.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The dolt was already going 25 MPH on a 45 MPH road (maybe due to the throttle cable problem, or just being a vindictive effing asshole to all of those behind him?).

There was NO 'increasing the distance', hence why I had to turn off of the road.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Totally understand not wanting to get stunk out by someone else’s car. At least the factory five cobra stinks me out too with the side pipes so I can share the smell with you although I like it. Dumps right next where you sit. 7.1L big block with a super lumpy cam, no cats, just a big ass glasspack on either side. Makes a Harley sound quiet and wouldn’t have it any other way.
This I can kind of see, as last night I was stuck 2 cars behind a '67 or '68 SS396 Chevelle ragtop on 313 south (I'm guessing from an area car show), and yeah, it was running rich, and I could smell it, but it was NOT even nearly as obnoxious as that old V-Twin at all (and I am NOT speaking to the noise it was making). [wink]

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I don't have any 'problem' with them (even the noise [wink]) besides breathing in the shit coming out of their tailpipes when stuck behind them.

As someone so seemingly concerned with your own health and fitness, one would think that YOU would be as well, yes, even though there are not many of them on the roads at the same time (except for around shows/meets/etc.).