Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ceramic Coat - Wow!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Recently had my FRS professionally ceramic coated with this stuff https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/crystal-serum-ultra (9 year treatment)

Holy cow! Its pretty amazing. Did my first wash today after having the application done and its pretty amazing at how easy it is to wash the car now. And the gloss...amazing. Water sheets right off in the rain, its hypnotizing.

I feel like engineering explained does a great job of showing you what to expect from a coat
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY-8KyRrOuE

Can't recommend this enough. I think later this summer I am going to do a multi step compound/polish on the Fiesta and do the Crystal Serum Light ceramic coat (5 year treatment) myself.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
FWIW, you can get the 5 yr version for $60 a bottle. It'll just take a weekend probably with my Fiesta due to decontamination, wash, clay, touch up paint, two stage polish, and CC application

I did the C.Quartz UK 3.0 on my car and on my wheels. As an example of how easy it is to clean: I don't even have to wipe dried bird crap off my car, I can use a spray bottle of water and blast it off. Also, since I did my wheels, brake dust doesn't stick to the wheels as much now and it's hilariously easy to wipe it off. Would recommend at least the home/diy version.

Cost was around $60, it is a bit of a pain to apply, but it's worth it

I've always wanted to do this, but I know that the endeavor will turn into a full-on paint correction. Too much money to have someone else do it. I might just do it myself one weekend and get the bottle of ceramic coating to see how it goes.

Well you have to do a total decontamination, paint correction/polish then clean the polish off in order to apply it. Or else you'll just seal in the scratches and contaminants. Took me about 12 hours doing two cars at the same time.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Once these coatings are done properly, does one then ever use any sealants, waxes, etc. on top of them (save for maybe the occasional SiO2, or whatever, 'touch-up' spray application sold by the original coating's company), or does that just dull, and/or wear into the coating's 'finish'? [dunno]

Once these coatings are done properly, does one then ever use any sealants, waxes, etc. on top of them (save for maybe the occasional SiO2, or whatever, 'touch-up' spray application sold by the original coating's company), or does that just dull, and/or wear into the coating's 'finish'? [dunno]
I use wax (built into the instant cleaner I use), with no ill effect. It kind of double downs on the glossiness. But the touch-up spray stuff probably is better and will help the coating last the longest. It never really gets dull if I'm honest, just worn out (after a couple of years), with the only big indicator being just water doesn't sheet off as nicely.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
My Gtechniq installer said that additional layers on top of the coating will be fine but some of the waxes will dull/haze the finish. I've seen some folks say that SiO2 infused products will "refresh" the coating but I'm not really buying that...once the CC structure is set its not like its going to accept new SiO2 molecules.

A friend swears by this stuff for maintenance washes on his ceramic coated car. https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-ECH2O-Waterless-Detail-Spray/dp/B076KNF38C I might try this once my Optimum no rinse runs out.

SrsBsns

I have a couple of bottles of the ceramic coat too. I'm planning to spend my next 3 day weekend doing a full paint correction and then applying it to the entire car... paint, wheels, glass and see how it goes.

I have enough to do the bike as well, although that should be pretty easy to do to a naked bike.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Bringing this up again. Once the weather clears here in Cleveland, I'm going to do a pretty major detail on my Fiesta, including a ceramic coat. Here's the info:
  • Decontamination two bucket wash with dish detergent to strip all remaining wax
  • Full clay bar decontamination
  • Fill in paint chips with Dr. Color Chip Molten Orange kit. Wet sand and self repair (prep, prime, and paint) some of the gauges under the front bumper
  • Two stage polish with Meguiars M105 + Meguiar's cutting pad, then polish with M205 + Lake Country Orange Pad
  • Panel wipe prep for Ceramic Coat (to remove any residual polish and filler)
  • Application of Crystal Serum Light Ceramic coat, full 24h cure
  • Application of EXO Top coat for enhanced gloss, Full 24h cure.
This should get the exterior of the Fiesta looking nearly as good as new. I'll be sure to post full results and I might even make a video of the project.