Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Charge Pipe Pipe/Hose Clamp Recommendations?

anticon

T-Bolts or Worm? Spring loaded T-Bolts?

I just bought a used MTC intercooler and Depo charge pipe kit and the t-bolt clamps were rusted so bad that they were destroyed during removal. So I am in the market for a new set of clamps. I plan on running an E30 tune. So I guess boost will max out around 25-26 psi.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have always used Worm Type clamps for this application.
I have used many different charge pipes and also run the same boost as you expect to.
I have never had any problems with hoses coming loose.

Dave

Spork1569

Good vid! I've already blown off that hot side pipe on the X37. Need to pick up a couple of those clamps
I'm on the stock snail for now but that little tip definitely gives some peace of mind. Especially if/when I decide to go HT/BT and the risk of popping off is much greater.

I changed out to woosh hoses when installing my IC and it's crazy how loosely attached some of the stock charge pipes are, my cold side exit side from the stock IC was only like halfway on! It's no wonder I was struggling to hit then 21 psi before lol.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm on the stock snail for now but that little tip definitely gives some peace of mind. Especially if/when I decide to go HT/BT and the risk of popping off is much greater.

I changed out to woosh hoses when installing my IC and it's crazy how loosely attached some of the stock charge pipes are, my cold side exit side from the stock IC was only like halfway on! It's no wonder I was struggling to hit then 21 psi before lol.
Yeah from factory those charge pipe clamps are not tight at all. I had a Boost leak when I first bought my car. Not sure what IC you are running but I have the Pwnall version and the end tanks aren't exactly perfectly round, so I think thats part of my issue as well. I tightened the S*** out of the clamps on the hot side pipe and its OK for now. I'll pick up a few more clamps and double up though.

Just a heads up on those Whoosh hoses and upgraded turbo. I have those hoses and I ran into an issue with my X37. The car developed a crazy loud whistle, like a balloon deflating, under full boost. I ended up tracking it down to the whoosh boost hose at the turbo neck. Swapped it for OEM hose and I'm good. Not saying you will have that issue but just be aware of that in case you here any funny boost leak noises.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Yeah from factory those charge pipe clamps are not tight at all. I had a Boost leak when I first bought my car. Not sure what IC you are running but I have the Pwnall version and the end tanks aren't exactly perfectly round, so I think thats part of my issue as well. I tightened the S*** out of the clamps on the hot side pipe and its OK for now. I'll pick up a few more clamps and double up though.

Just a heads up on those Whoosh hoses and upgraded turbo. I have those hoses and I ran into an issue with my X37. The car developed a crazy loud whistle, like a balloon deflating, under full boost. I ended up tracking it down to the whoosh boost hose at the turbo neck. Swapped it for OEM hose and I'm good. Not saying you will have that issue but just be aware of that in case you here any funny boost leak noises.
first I've ever heard of that
the hoses are identical to OEM, what could have been the issue? hundreds of these kits sold with not a single issue
have any other details?

Spork1569

I installed a CPE and the end tanks are pretty much perfectly round as far as I can tell. Also traded one of the worm clamps for a t-bolt that came with the IC and tightened everything as far as I could safely do. Hopefully it holds up.

So are you saying the turbo outlet hose was basically inflating? If so that's crazy since they seem so much thicker then stock I would expect that from the stock Hoses instead, not the upgraded ones.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I installed a CPE and the end tanks are pretty much perfectly round as far as I can tell. Also traded one of the worm clamps for a t-bolt that came with the IC and tightened everything as far as I could safely do. Hopefully it holds up.

So are you saying the turbo outlet hose was basically inflating? If so that's crazy since they seem so much thicker then stock I would expect that from the stock Hoses instead, not the upgraded ones.
I would guess not regarding inflating, 5 layer lined silicone does not balloon like OEM hoses

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure what it was doing but I first tightened the shit out of all the clamps...noise still there. Then I one by one removed the Whoosh hot side hoses (since thats the side where it was coming from) and replaced them with OEM, doing a test drive after each replacement. Only when I removed the Turbo outlet hose did the noise go away so I know that was the culprit. Could it have been an install mistake? Sure, I can't rule that out.

I put all of the Whoosh hoses back on except the turbo outlet and the noise hasn't come back. I did blow off the hot side hose on the tank but I think that is more to do with the IC end tank pipe not being perfectly round.

One of these days when I get time (about to move across country) I am going to order another set of clamps and double up all of the boost hoses. I'll try to re-install the Whoosh turbo outlet hose with multiple clamps and see if that cures the noise

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I'm not sure what it was doing but I first tightened the shit out of all the clamps...noise still there. Then I one by one removed the Whoosh hot side hoses (since thats the side where it was coming from) and replaced them with OEM, doing a test drive after each replacement. Only when I removed the Turbo outlet hose did the noise go away so I know that was the culprit. Could it have been an install mistake? Sure, I can't rule that out.

I put all of the Whoosh hoses back on except the turbo outlet and the noise hasn't come back. I did blow off the hot side hose on the tank but I think that is more to do with the IC end tank pipe not being perfectly round.

One of these days when I get time (about to move across country) I am going to order another set of clamps and double up all of the boost hoses. I'll try to re-install the Whoosh turbo outlet hose with multiple clamps and see if that cures the noise
let me know if there's an issue with it, I'll gladly send you another