Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Choose a tuner carefully

I’ll be an example here. Be sure that who you choose to tune your car knows what they are doing for your specific platform. I chose to get a dyno tune from a local tuner. He had awesome reviews. Tunes multiple makes and models (should have been my clue). He said he tuned fist’s and would be no problem. Left after the tune and car had issues right away. Random backfires that were not normal. On my way home check engine light came on with a P0240 (catalyst system below efficiency). Thought, crap another problem. Didn’t link it to the tune. Power seemed pretty choppy. Going up hill one day car went into limp mode. Got 4 different codes dealing with map sensor, boost control solenoid along with catalyst code again and air leak between throttle body and intake valve. I replaced both map and tmap sensors just to be sure that wasn’t the cause. No sir!! Took it on the same route after clearing codes and same thing happened. Read some stuff on tunes and how they can affect sensors and performance if not programmed specifically for the correct parameters.
So I re-flashed my previous tune. So far I havnt gotten any codes. I’ll update if they come back but pretty sure my problem there was the tune from this local guy. SO!!! Don’t make the mistake I did and make sure to go with someone who has a good reputation for tuning our cars specifically!! Continue ripping out there guys 🤙🏽

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I’ll be an example here. Be sure that who you choose to tune your car knows what they are doing for your specific platform. I chose to get a dyno tune from a local tuner. He had awesome reviews. Tunes multiple makes and models (should have been my clue). He said he tuned fist’s and would be no problem. Left after the tune and car had issues right away. Random backfires that were not normal. On my way home check engine light came on with a P0240 (catalyst system below efficiency). Thought, crap another problem. Didn’t link it to the tune. Power seemed pretty choppy. Going up hill one day car went into limp mode. Got 4 different codes dealing with map sensor, boost control solenoid along with catalyst code again and air leak between throttle body and intake valve. I replaced both map and tmap sensors just to be sure that wasn’t the cause. No sir!! Took it on the same route after clearing codes and same thing happened. Read some stuff on tunes and how they can affect sensors and performance if not programmed specifically for the correct parameters.
So I re-flashed my previous tune. So far I havnt gotten any codes. I’ll update if they come back but pretty sure my problem there was the tune from this local guy. SO!!! Don’t make the mistake I did and make sure to go with someone who has a good reputation for tuning our cars specifically!! Continue ripping out there guys 🤙🏽
That's a helpful post, thanks for sharing this lesson with the rest of us.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are a few tuners that know this platform very well. I went with Tunewerks, and it runs flawlessly. Lots of oomph, and never had a code.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
A note: After the Fed crackdown on tuning, I do not believe a tuner can clear a P0240 code anymore which routinely pops up if the catalytic converter has been modified. If your old tune is indeed "old", that tuner probably set the code to never pop up.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
A note: After the Fed crackdown on tuning, I do not believe a tuner can clear a P0240 code anymore which routinely pops up if the catalytic converter has been modified. If your old tune is indeed "old", that tuner probably set the code to never pop up.
They’ve never been “allowed” to do it but almost every tuning software has allowed for it due to race-only applications where it’s perfectly legal. Cobb’s “greenspeed” project that eliminated the capability from accesstuner. Others still have it.