Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clear coat touch up x 200

My wife's car got blasted in a hail storm a few months ago. Now there are about 100 small chips in the clear coat. I don't have a body man's bone in my body, but my wife loves her car, so I guess I'll have to try to fix it.

I remember seeing something on tv a long time ago where a guy was using thick paint and a small squeegee. He just dabbed paint into the chip and cut any extra off with the squeegee. It looked really quick and easy. I don't remember if he was selling a product or if this was something I was watching on one of those car shows- I just remember seeing him do it and it looked really quick and easy.

Has anyone ever done this or seen it done? Is it a specific product or just a technique done with standard paint products? What would you do with this car anyway...?

BTW, the finish we're talking about is on a suburu.

OP
custom500
Thread Starter #3
Yes, I have coverage. But my wife is only 5'2 and has never actually seen the roof of her crosstrek. If I can get the hood reasonably well, the rest doesn't have to be perfect. Mainly I'm concerned about protecting the color coat.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I had $2,600 worth of hail damage repaired this year for $250.
Insurance took care of it hassle-free.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
custom500
Thread Starter #6
I fear that a body shop is going to want to refinish the whole roof and hood, but I'd much rather preserve the factory paint job if possible. So that's why I would rather take care of this myself.

I might experiment a little in a door jamb or some other completely inconspicuous place and try to develop an application technique before getting started on the real thing.

I thank both of you for your responses.

OP
custom500
Thread Starter #7
BTW I bought the "Doctor Color Chip" and it works very well. It actually works very well, but you may need several coats if the chip is deep. Anyway, in a few hours I was all done and most of the chips are completely gone- absolutely no blobs. Perfect color match, too- and her color has a lot of flake in it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
BTW I bought the "Doctor Color Chip" and it works very well. It actually works very well, but you may need several coats if the chip is deep. Anyway, in a few hours I was all done and most of the chips are completely gone- absolutely no blobs. Perfect color match, too- and her color has a lot of flake in it.
What color is your vehicle?

I've used Dr. Colorchip on essentially every car I've owned for the last decade - stuff is amazing. I bought some for my FiST before I even had the need, knowing it was going to arise.

The best technique is patience - it does take time to build up layer by layer on deeper chips. I'll do this over a day or a few, applying a layer - go do something else entirely, come back, apply another layer, drink a beer and watch some sports, apply another layer, and so on. Usually no more than 3-4 layers are necessary (otherwise it's more like a dent, not a chip). Just make sure you really do get all the excess off the parts that don't need it each time, as that can build up and not look good.

OP
custom500
Thread Starter #10
Dark grey. It's a Suburu (my wife's car- i feel the need to specify that here!) and has a lot of flake in it, which is perfectly matched by the touch-up.