Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,242
So bare turbo x37 vs bare turbo cyborg, power and cost. Which wins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
The pumaspeed stuff changes with exchange and tax rates.

BUT....

This is the pumaspeed inlet, showing the size of the compressor wheel they use.

This is a cyborg turbo inlet, clearly showing we use a larger compressor wheel. For something measured in .5mm from one size to the next, to see the difference with the naked eye, means its a real difference worth noting.

Puma speed also does nothing to the exhaust manifold to help it flow better.

Pumaspeed does no porting to the turbine.

Pumaspeed's inlet....? Well... I'll be nice and just say look at the pics of ours vs theirs, and it seems more like an adaptor than an actual big inlet, where ours is a REAL big inlet, hand fabricated from stainless steel in the USA by a real person.

Not sure if pumaspeed includes an upgraded internal wastegate, but we do.

Pumaspeed also does not have an external wastegate option.

I'm not positive, but I think pumaspeed claims a bigger turbine wheel is used? But from the pics I looked at close to 2 years ago, its an extremely small upgrade size wise because I couldn't tell from their pics where the turbine area had been machined at all. We clip the stock turbine wheel blades to let more exhaust flow by without added size or weight to the rotating assembly.

Also.... I've been in the house, super sick since Monday evening. Been missing work and kind of "in and out of it", so if I haven't gotten back to anyone, sorry, I didn't die ( just felt like it ).

jayrod1980

Member ID
Don't die sour, you have a cyborg to make me this fall. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member ID
Don't die sour, you have a cyborg to make me this fall. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you order the external gate to? I can't wait for mine to come in. I know how crazy busy SS is. And he still finds time to send updates, and do this.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,246
No... Being so sick all last week, I even put off getting my babies on Friday evening till Saturday. I did goto work Friday, but I did computer based training the entire tire because I couldn't do much physical. Saturday I spent with the kids. Sunday I took the twins to the drag strip for the first time to meet Russ at DHM and to watch my buddy break the "stock fuel" fost record at 12.6. But I didn't stay long. I crashed early Sunday and worked on turbo's for two different guys tonight, but just got home ( 6am to 10pm work day ).

Tomorrow, I have a few little things to do, but I'm going to actually twist a few bolts on my car tomorrow.

I'm actually still sick.

Ever have someone you know that is too cool for the trip to the doctor? You do now.... I'm fixing to be on day 8.

We were actually discussing what would happen to my car if I took a bad turn and died from this sickness. Would the insurance pay it off ? Could ANYONE actually reassemble it? Lol. Would ford just write it off?

I just really want my car that I pay $387 a month for back, lol.

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

Member ID
No... Being so sick all last week, I even put off getting my babies on Friday evening till Saturday. I did goto work Friday, but I did computer based training the entire tire because I couldn't do much physical. Saturday I spent with the kids. Sunday I took the twins to the drag strip for the first time to meet Russ at DHM and to watch my buddy break the "stock fuel" fost record at 12.6. But I didn't stay long. I crashed early Sunday and worked on turbo's for two different guys tonight, but just got home ( 6am to 10pm work day ).

Tomorrow, I have a few little things to do, but I'm going to actually twist a few bolts on my car tomorrow.

I'm actually still sick.

Ever have someone you know that is too cool for the trip to the doctor? You do now.... I'm fixing to be on day 8.

We were actually discussing what would happen to my car if I took a bad turn and died from this sickness. Would the insurance pay it off ? Could ANYONE actually reassemble it? Lol. Would ford just write it off?

I just really want my car that I pay $387 a month for back, lol.

245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph
Wow! Man I am sorry to hear that. That sucks! Yeah, Russell told me earlier in the week he was going to see you, and I seen the videos of the focus. That is bad ass man! Wow, yeah you texted me about my wastegate and stuff. Ha. Man, dedication, that is all I can say.

Still sick and wont go to the doctor. You sound just like my dad. He is the same way, death can be on his door and he is just like I am not going, I will be fine.

Crazy man! Don't think like that. You got a family that could use you around I am sure. Ha. Hopefully everything passes and you get better soon.

I thought I paid a lot for mine! I pay $320, I would not know what to do if I had to pay for it and couldn't drive it. I know I thank you very much for dedicating time to my cyborg and I am sure who ever elses you are building appreciates it just like me. As I told you in my text, when I visit florida, I will make sure to make a pit stop to grab you some beers for all the hard work you put in on these turbos for us and leave your own projects behind.

thank you for that!

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,248

Gasp.... What is this !!!? Is that a stock turbo being prepped?

Yep... Doing some stock turbo testing. Stock turbo, big inlet, ported manifold with external gate (internal gate in-tacked, but bolted shut ). No clip, no wheel upgrade and its a core from someone that I don't even remember where it came from, lol.

Its really starting to look like that big messy POS engine bay we all love to hate !! Lol.
Turbo installed, alternator tightened down, Serp belt back on, passenger side mount installed, cams torqued to spec, HPFI installed and torqued with a goofy sequence, valve cover torqued, hot pipe...

ATP hot pipe was looking like it was going to have an issue once I installed the TB traction bar, so to raise it up, I cut a bit off the coupler on from the turbo to pipe. I also recycled my worn gear clamps from my stock cold pipe, and now every single clamp location is double clamped. Who needs motor mounts when your charge pipes are this tight and secure !!

I also drained the transaxle fluid and engine oil right before I closed the shop down and they are still "dip draining".

The 15k mile old motul looked PERFECT. I wish I had caught it so I could have just put it back in...

The engine oil was... Typical of my 5-6k mile engine oil lol. But it had no water in it at all, which I figured, but with the cracked head, who knows.

Also removed my boomba RMM and installed a stock one that has been filled with my own mix of silicone and large roll pins. Its softer than boomba by a good amount, but still controls engine roll. If looks are any indication, this new passenger mount is going to be a little hairy for a while. I'm going to look around some trash bins for something to shove in the driver side trans mount gaps.

Not real pretty... But it will work for now.

Also resealed my meth tank that had a super super super slow leak at the aem fluid level sensor.

Throttle body is the first thing to go back on after trans gets refilled tomorrow.

Good night guys. Doing some internal wastegate testing for you guys tomorrow, I'll do my best to share :)
Turbosmart vs stock on the bench.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Member ID
Even with the gaps filled, something I have talked about for a long time, the trans side still can move quite a bit I found when I took a pry bar to it.

Tape up one end, fill with 2 part urethane, two days later ready to go is what I recommend now and do the passenger side as well, $50 could do both mounts and the REM (we do have an engine not an electric motor:) on possibly two cars.

I have not driven the car yet but the vibration and noise is not all that bad at idle and reving it a bit, only done leak checks so far, might drive it a bit tomorrow but stopped early when it got over 100 in the garage today, supposed to be better tomorrow.

----------------

As usual you are having to much fun, getting sick sucks though!!!

As for the stock turbo testing a bit of clip might slow down the donkey kick, something you might be planning to test after stock trim, will be interesting to see what you can gain from what you are doing.

-------------------------

UPDATE:
I just thought of this, I left the rubber bumper things on the stock drivers side aluminum mount section and built a new lower weight cover that went up tight over them. I would cut them off and use something thick enough to really snug it down, I bet that will be much better and maybe all you need:)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,252
Cyborg Upgraded Stock Turbocharger System

Fixed. Poly.

I'm not trying to super stiffen it up, just add a little extra support for when it needs it the most. The poly I used is pretty hard though. I filled it with RVT just to try and keep any pieces from wiggling out. I'm actually hoping the new passenger side mount doesn't drive me nuts.

Mistumoto hot pipe installed. Advise #1.... If you have a boomba throttle body spacer, its not going to fit perfect. advise #2 don't waste your money on a boomba throttle body spacer, lol. Unless... You need it for something like meth injection or something. I wish I'd have left mine off...

Refilled the trans with fluid.

Installed the injectors and fuel rail.

Put turbo coolant lines back on, turbo heat shield, catch can mount done and cans mounted ( no lines yet ).

Doesn't feel like I made much progress...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,255

Def good to be driving a fiesta again !!

Edit.... And then.... The AC compressor freezes and eats the serp belt...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,257
I'll post a parts list and cost for anyone in the future that is interested in completely by-passing the AC compressor because of either a AC compressor failure ( gotta be rare ) or because "race car".

245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,258
https://vimeo.com/165799488

This is how it normally goes.

This is required. Its the replacement idler pulley (the grooved one in the video above under the alternator ). The oem pulley is meant for the belt to run on the smooth side, so it has to be changed. Its a single 10mm bolt. Pretty easy.

This is the belt i used.

This belt also worked, but was really tight ( I shredded it because I didn't know my tensioner pulley got melted and ran the new belt on it ).

This is the metal replacement pulley for
The oem tensioner. Not required unless your as lucky as me and your comp seized up and melted the oem plastic tensioner pulley.

Anyway... In case anyone ever needs it.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,259

Also.... I do not recommend an external open dump for a daily driver with a stock turbo, lol. While its quiet until 4600-4800 with the cyborg, and even then, its not very loud, with the stock turbo.... Its freak'n loud at 3100rpm at wot and it even pops open in a lot of part throttle situations, and its loud.

Not that any one was considering doing this... But just putting it out there, lol.

Also have a log where the charge temp starts at 93degrees and drops to 90degrees at 6,000rpm, lol.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #1,260

Well.... Did some logging on my way home. Had some throttle closure ( also in the log ), but my laptop was dead at work, so I knee it would and I couldn't fix it.

Anyway... This stg3 timing and basically stage3 boost +2-3psi. So its pretty low on the side of things ( essp for me, I'd pushing a stock turbo to 29psi plenty of times ).

Anyway, here is the log
http://www.datazap.me/u/sourskittle/log-1462842758?log=0&data=3-6-7&mark=172

Spoiler alert.... The charge temp at the start of the run is.... Identical to the charge temp at the end of the run :0 [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION]

Status
Not open for further replies.