Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunking/creaking from suspension or wheel area?

CSM

1000 Post Club
After last autocross, my fiesta started developing a slight creak/knocking from somewhere in the suspension, feels like wheel area and the frequency of the noise is tied to the rotation of the wheel. only happens when moving, when the steering wheel is turning/not straight, and I can feel it in the pedals.

Thoughts?

CV Axle? Wheel bearing? tie rod?

I'll have time this wkd to jack up the car and inspect. Hoping to repair it by 27th for next autocross

Any or all of the above. Any noises or vibration coming from the front end, while rotating, would be something from the steering assembly. My Mini had the same issue just before I got my FiST. I replaced all of it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

If you get the clunking noise while turning, I would look at CV Joint. It should be pretty obvious because grease will be everywhere. As for wheel bearing, if you put a load on the wheel, sharp tight turn, possible.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
- CV Axles look fine with boots intact and minimal play
- All bushings are intact/look OK
- Tie Rods OK
- Jacked front end off ground and accelerated the car, no wheel bearing noises/hums.

I noticed when reversing at low speed and near full lock, I get a thumping noise, THUD THUD THUD as the wheels turn. Some other forum member had this and it was premature CV axle failure. Makes me wonder if this is what Im dealing with?

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/cv-joint-failure.11213/

What a mess this car has turned out to be. I have fitted new powerflex bushes front and rear plus coilovers front and rear (rear are actually separate shock and spring), and I still have a sloppy bouncy mushy feeling front suspension. Plus makes a loud thud on suspension rebound.

Honestly need to get rid of this car. [emoji107][emoji107][emoji107][emoji107][emoji107] Done 111,000km.

Also found this thread...

https://www.fiestast.org/threads/fiesta-st-front-suspension-knock.4630/

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Sam4

What a mess this car has turned out to be. I have fitted new powerflex bushes front and rear plus coilovers front and rear (rear are actually separate shock and spring), and I still have a sloppy bouncy mushy feeling front suspension. Plus makes a loud thud on suspension rebound.

Honestly need to get rid of this car. [emoji107][emoji107][emoji107][emoji107][emoji107] Done 111,000km.

Also found this thread...

https://www.fiestast.org/threads/fiesta-st-front-suspension-knock.4630/

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk
I removed all of my power flex. At a minimum, they're noisy.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am suffering from the distinct bang/ clunk that randomly happens over certain road incongruities as well. Its not easy to spot either as I took my mechanic friend for a drive trying to duplicate it and it did not do it. It just started happening in the last 500-1k miles over the last month or so.
Of course after hitting a pothole on the 110 freeway where it curves around Dodger stadium last night I know have another issue of a bent wheel or something because I immediately got a flat spotted tire type reaction i.e. rotational unbalanced feel that transmits into the steering wheel. I know the tire is not flat spotted as no braking . Possibly some steel belt damage to the tire . Have to drive it around slow today. Looks like I am not doing any distance driving this weekend. :cry: