Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch bleeding Procedure

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’m sorry Typhoon, I should have paid better attention. I was reading this as a thread about bleeding the clutch, not the brakes too. I assume it would be beneficial to do both simultaneously. I saw you said you bled/ran the clutch 2-3 times, was that due to air bubble concerns? I’m grabbing 1,000 ml of Motul 5.1, would you suggest buying 1.5 L for the clutch alone? Thanks in advance!
Do the whole Hydraulic system while your doing the clutch. Don't be that guy..[driving]As for brake fluid...its better to have to much than too little also.

FYI, I bought the Motive 0108 kit linked at the beginning of this thread. However, neither of the two provided rubber gaskets seem to be able to provide a tight seal with the brake fluid reservoir, and there is not enough room to stack both gaskets together. I have a 2016 FIRST, and the reservoir neck looks like this:

PXL_20231104_165350843.jpg

I was able to get it to hold pressure long enough to get the clutch fluid flushed, but not without some spillage (and overflowing of the reservoir, as you can see in the photo).

Not going to do the brakes until I can figure out a solution for getting this to seal up properly.

On the Motive website, they seem to recommend kit 0118 when you take the application quiz (Ford -> fiesta -> 2014+). But not sure what exactly is different about that kit, as the cap provided in 0108 seems to fit just fine. Maybe different gasket thickness?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
FYI, I bought the Motive 0108 kit linked at the beginning of this thread. However, neither of the two provided rubber gaskets seem to be able to provide a tight seal with the brake fluid reservoir, and there is not enough room to stack both gaskets together. I have a 2016 FIRST, and the reservoir neck looks like this:

View attachment 58927

I was able to get it to hold pressure long enough to get the clutch fluid flushed, but not without some spillage (and overflowing of the reservoir, as you can see in the photo).

Not going to do the brakes until I can figure out a solution for getting this to seal up properly.

On the Motive website, they seem to recommend kit 0118 when you take the application quiz (Ford -> fiesta -> 2014+). But not sure what exactly is different about that kit, as the cap provided in 0108 seems to fit just fine. Maybe different gasket thickness?
Same as my 15' The thicker gasket of the two worked for me. Bled the clutch and brakes multiple times also*

Same as my 15' The thicker gasket of the two worked for me. Bled the clutch and brakes multiple times also*
Odd. I just reached out to Motive as their online application guide is a little confusing and unclear. Depending on how you answer the quiz questions, it's showing me 3 different options:
  • If I select Ford -> twist-lock 1992-present, I am shown either the 0107 or 0117 kits.
  • However, if I select Ford -> Fiesta -> 2014+, I am shown the 0118 kit.
Hoping they can offer an even thicker gasket, or maybe I can stack two of the thin gaskets (will have to look at how the thicknesses compare), and that I don't have to buy a new adapter for $30.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Odd. I just reached out to Motive as their online application guide is a little confusing and unclear. Depending on how you answer the quiz questions, it's showing me 3 different options:
  • If I select Ford -> twist-lock 1992-present, I am shown either the 0107 or 0117 kits.
  • However, if I select Ford -> Fiesta -> 2014+, I am shown the 0118 kit.
Hoping they can offer an even thicker gasket, or maybe I can stack two of the thin gaskets (will have to look at how the thicknesses compare), and that I don't have to buy a new adapter for $30.
Maybe they had the wrong gasket in your kit. The same one you bought works perfectly for me.

I've got a lot to unload here, bear with me...

First of all, kudos to Motive for their customer service. Emailed them around 9am, got the first response back 6 hrs later. And then the representative who was helping me was very responsive (usually responding within minutes).

Quick side note about Motive PNs - PNs that begin with a "1" refer to the adapter kit only. PNs that begin with a "0" refer to the kit that includes adapter + power bleeder. So, 0108 is the full kit, 1108 is just the adapter.

Regarding the proper brake bleeder selection, they said I should be using kit 0118 for my 2016 Fiesta ST. However, the only differences between the 0108 (recommended in this thread) and the 1118 are as follows:
  • 0108 (1108) cap is plastic, 0118 (1118) cap is anodized aluminum.
  • 0108 tabs are slightly longer than 0118. They had to shorten the 0118 tabs to fit Tesla.
  • 0118 includes a longer (4 ft) hose.
Otherwise, the cap geometries are identical, and both kits include the same two gaskets. So in my case, it seems like switching to the 0118 wouldn't seem to help.

The rep also stated that in my photos, the tabs on my reservoir fill neck looked thin - can anyone else take a look at theirs and confirm whether mine look normal or not? Photos attached below.

PXL_20231106_224553190.jpg

PXL_20231106_224605233.jpg

Finally, I asked if I could stack two of the thinner gaskets, as that would result in a gasket thickness that is greater than the thick gasket, but thinner than the thin + thick gasket. Two different gasket thickness shown below (0.166 and 0.139 inches):
PXL_20231106_221928645.jpg PXL_20231106_221913345.jpg

I'm not too hopeful this will be a good strategy though, because the distance between the sealing surface to the underside of the tab on the adapter cap is 0.254 inches (red arrow in photo below). Two thin gaskets stacked will be 0.278 inches, which means the gaskets will already be squeezed under the tab. Not sure they will compress enough to allow me to install the adapter cap onto the brake fluid reservoir when the gaskets are already squeezed in there so tight.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 171312.png

All that being said, Motive is sending me an extra thin gasket so I can try it out anyway. Once again, kudos to them for their customer service. Just wish the adapter would fit my car!

So what do you do if you do the 15 psi dry pressure test and it fails to hold pressure?
Well, do NOT proceed with the bleed procedure like I did! If it leaks, it means the pressurized fluid from the power bleeder will be able to displace the air that is in the reservoir (the air will leak out between the adapter cap and the reservoir fill neck). Once all the air has leaked out, that means your reservoir is completely full of fluid. And then the fluid will start leaking out next.

For this to work, the seal needs to be perfect. I still haven't received the extra gasket from Motive, but will keep this thread updated on if doubling up on the thin gasket works.

Otherwise I suppose you could try to cut your own gasket out of a different material, or try to somehow clamp the adapter cap against the reservoir, etc.

Well, do NOT proceed with the bleed procedure like I did! If it leaks, it means the pressurized fluid from the power bleeder will be able to displace the air that is in the reservoir (the air will leak out between the adapter cap and the reservoir fill neck). Once all the air has leaked out, that means your reservoir is completely full of fluid. And then the fluid will start leaking out next.

For this to work, the seal needs to be perfect. I still haven't received the extra gasket from Motive, but will keep this thread updated on if doubling up on the thin gasket works.

Otherwise I suppose you could try to cut your own gasket out of a different material, or try to somehow clamp the adapter cap against the reservoir, etc.
Clamping is out seeing how everything is plastic. I haven’t “leak” tested it so it could be a connection elsewhere although I suspect it’s the gasket issue like you’re having. That said it felt very snug when I used the thicket gasket, I didn’t suspect leakage from there.

I’m reading the instructions- they suggest teflon tape on the brass fittings. I hadn’t expected to need that so I’ll be getting that. I doubt it is the issue though.

OK! So I put the brass connecting under water in a tray- instant bubbles. The leak may be coming from there. I’m heading to buy some teflon tape now and will post results after application.

Last edited:
Completed the process with some extra work- had my wife apply physical pressure to the mouth which connected to the reservoir; it was a very slow leak, maybe 5 psi in 3-5 minutes. Towards the end of the brake flushing process the extra clamping force was not necessary; I suspect the gasket needs fluid in order to swell enough to seal. Thanks for tips guys!

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #74
OK! So I put the brass connecting under water in a tray- instant bubbles. The leak may be coming from there. I’m heading to buy some teflon tape now and will post results after application.
I had to use Teflon tape on the brass fittings to get my bleeder to seal properly.

So did it work? I’m encountering the same issue with my 2016 dry testing my new 0108 kit.

So did it work? I’m encountering the same issue with my 2016 dry testing my new 0108 kit.
Thanks for the reminder. I actually had my clutch slave replaced by a local shop and they bled the system during that process, so I never got around to testing the doubled up thin gaskets. In fact I think Motive dropped the ball and never actually shipped me an extra gasket, so I just followed up with them. Once I get it in the mail I'll do a pressure check and update this thread.

Thanks for the reminder. I actually had my clutch slave replaced by a local shop and they bled the system during that process, so I never got around to testing the doubled up thin gaskets. In fact I think Motive dropped the ball and never actually shipped me an extra gasket, so I just followed up with them. Once I get it in the mail I'll do a pressure check and update this thread.
I went ahead and bought one since they sell them for $2 on their site. I'll race you!

I didn't realize they sold them separately! Looking forward to hearing your results. I have a feeling you'll be the winner of this race 😁
If the doubled gasket doesn’t work, I might try rigging this CTA adapter that looks like a much closer fit. They also make a real adapter for my wife’s Honda Pilot, which Motive just sells a clamp-on hack for. Maybe CTA would have been the better bleeder to buy…😒

If the doubled gasket doesn’t work, I might try rigging this CTA adapter that looks like a much closer fit. They also make a real adapter for my wife’s Honda Pilot, which Motive just sells a clamp-on hack for. Maybe CTA would have been the better bleeder to buy…😒
Good find, I'll have to keep that in mind. Actually finding the right adapters to get the hoses to match up shouldn't be much trouble.