Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch pedal sticking intermittently

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Started friday with the 90+ degree temps. Usually after being in stop and go traffic for a bit. My clutch pedal will have a soft return to it ( on the way back to the clutch being engaged) a couple times it seem to stick down but then sharply popped back up.
Ive never had clutch issues before on my prior cars so idk. Clutch feels normal any other time.

Dude before you end up stranded like I did, stop driving the car! Its the throw out bearing.
Sadly you have to pull the trans to get to this cheap ass part. Sux. Ron @ Whoosh has 'em
for $40. And while your in there Ron has the stock clutches for $150. Sux man. sorry for the bad
news.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
So im stranded at my gf's without tools and a throwout bearing thats going?? And if i get the part i have 2 days on a weekend if that to get it fixed. 🤕 this is becoming tiresome, having to majorly repair the car every 3 months, if that.

Last edited:

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As has been said, its likely the throw out bearing. How many miles are on your car? check and see if your brake fluid is getting low. Its somewhat time consuming to drop the transmission but its not impossible to do in a driveway with a couple of spare, strong hands.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
110k. Brake fluid is still at its normal spot 🤷. I just did a clutch a rear main on my gf's car this spring. That was a 2 day job and her car is less crammed than this one is.

Thing is am i gonna need to replace the clutch assembly as well? Its upsetting because of how much ive already had to repair the car this year. It still needs axles replaced, front brake rotors, and i gotta start thinking about doing a timing belt

This just started to happening to me and I’m only at 30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Drove it around today a bit with no issues. Maybe it takes a 3 hour drive and then getting stuck in traffic

Drove it around today a bit with no issues. Maybe it takes a 3 hour drive and then getting stuck in traffic
I’m taking mine to Ford this week for warranty.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Gonna kepe trying to get it to happen again to confirm the issue.

Gonna kepe trying to get it to happen again to confirm the issue.
Mines been going it for about 2k miles now. From what I’ve been seeing it related to high temps, traffic, and high speeds.

SrsBsns

Man... You've got some bad luck with yours huh? Seems like something is always going on.

Hopefully it's nothing, but that would be unsettling to have the clutch stick.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I had all that the last 2 days. 🙁

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Man... You've got some bad luck with yours huh? Seems like something is always going on.

Hopefully it's nothing, but that would be unsettling to have the clutch stick.
Yup. It always needs something. I've been thinking of the next car a lot lately....

My pedal stuck to the floor twice ( I popped it up wit my foot). The problem was a crack in the line in by the slave. I was really happy that it was under warranty. They replaced the master 1x the slave 2x as one was DOA new line clutch and flywheel, I was amazed and grateful.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
My pedal stuck to the floor twice ( I popped it up wit my foot). The problem was a crack in the line in by the slave. I was really happy that it was under warranty. They replaced the master 1x the slave 2x as one was DOA new line clutch and flywheel, I was amazed and grateful.
Ill take a peek at that.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Reporting back that this issue is ongoing. Dont really want to sink another grand into the car if its not going to fix the issues. Hearing horror stories of excessive end play in the crank where the transmission input shaft goes has me pretty worried.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
A few months later. Still going on occaisionally.
Ive since dropped down to ots stage 1 for a tune and it has dramatically reduced the number of times it happens. Maybe stage 3 is too much for the stock clutch after the deer hit?? Idk. Going to be pulling parts and selling them to get money up for a trade in next spring.

Started friday with the 90+ degree temps. Usually after being in stop and go traffic for a bit. My clutch pedal will have a soft return to it ( on the way back to the clutch being engaged) a couple times it seem to stick down but then sharply popped back up.
Ive never had clutch issues before on my prior cars so idk. Clutch feels normal any other time.
Hey, report the mileage and final outcome/diagnosis on your issue, seems that temperatures seem to be an issue for slave cylinder failures, and did you have any issues or have your replaced the slave cylinder? Go to the Transmission/Drivetrain thread on this at least if you will, thanks.