Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure Used or New - Fiesta ST - DG9Z-7A564-B - Report it

OP
Redty
Thread Starter #23
Again, if you have had a slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder failure happen, new replacement, low mileage failure or otherwise, report it here as a reply, and additionally, take time to report it at https://www.nhtsa.gov/ and https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fiesta/ also.
Report Year, Mileage, general area of the country you are in, and any correlation that you might think might give clues, like right after a really couple of hot days, etc.
Poll added here in warranty forum https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/clutch-related-issues-poll-fiesta-st.25566/ select Year, issue(s), repair(s) all that apply.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My replacement slave is leaking (replaced original since I already had the transmission down.) My sons replacement slave failed like the OP's (his original clutch disk failed, replaced slave since he already had the transmission down). Both were done at a Ford Dealer.

Cant be any worse than what ive got now.
I came to the Fiesta party because my '14 WRX hatch blew a motor after 30k miles. There was a class action lawsuit. Still kinda freaked out that I drove all the way to Deadhorse on the Dalton with that thing the winter before.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I came to the Fiesta party because my '14 WRX hatch blew a motor after 30k miles. There was a class action lawsuit. Still kinda freaked out that I drove all the way to Deadhorse on the Dalton with that thing the winter before.
I know 09-14 had issues with factory tuning having the afr wander on part throttle cruise, killing engines, and apparently weak rings. So ive been told to avoid those years.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know 09-14 had issues with factory tuning having the afr wander on part throttle cruise, killing engines, and apparently weak rings. So ive been told to avoid those years.
You're talking about the latency they had between closed and open loop modes, it was done to meet emissions standards and caused so many issues. A simple tune (even like a stage 0) makes up for this and vastly improves the reliability. All Subaru 2.5L Turbo engines have shitty piston ringlands. Who knows why we never got the better EJ207 2.0L engine.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I think so? I know my st is doing it as well now for about 30 seconds if im driving while its still not fully warmed. Didnt do it till this year too 🤕. ( cobb stage 1 tune )

My new 2019, first summer, less than 10k miles, and I had one incident where on a long hot drive going like 80 for over an hour, when I pulled off to get gas and the clutch was super weird, I don't remember exactly how, spongy or mushy or soft or not returning quickly or some such like that. Definitely seemed heat related.

If you told me there's some defect in the slave cylinder design that is particularly susceptible to heat, I'd believe it.
My 2017 started having issues of the pedal not returning all the way at about 38,000 miles. This only occurs after driving at highway speeds for at least 20 minutes or more. Car still shifts fine, clutch doesn’t slip, the pedal comes partway up, and I can lift it with my foot.

It cools down after getting off the highway and returns to normal. I’m sure this is heat related, as it corresponds to the oil temps always being higher at highway speeds.

I have around 43,000 miles now, and am considering taking it to the dealer to see what they say.

I’m thinking I might try a turbo blanket to solve the clutch slave issue since it seems directly related to heat.

No. It’s so infrequent I know not they’re going to look at it unless it’s acting up when I pull in.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No. It’s so infrequent I know not they’re going to look at it unless it’s acting up when I pull in.
Better safe to Document the complaint now than too late if it happens outside of warranty* Then you really screw the pooch.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

2017 @ 5k miles I had a Ford Dealer trouble shoot the dreaded clunk shifting from 1st into 2nd and a bleed of the clutch hydraulics was one of the items to check. The clutch was never a problem but when they did the bleed a leaked developed so the slave cylinder was replaced.. Now @ 30K the transmission is smooth and I don't hear any clunks (the cooler winter temps in Florida may help) and the clutch feels like it did when new. Go figure.

Drillbit

Just bought a 2015 FiST 49k from the original owner, He works for Ford and bought it new. The former owner had all work done at the dealer, The car was his baby, he is in his early 50's, so not a kid beating on it.
The day I was driving it home this "clutch pedal" problem happed to me, The clutch was near the floor, it still worked but it was nearly on the floor, I lifted the pedal with my foot and it returned to the proper height and has continued to work OK since.
The former owner provided me with all of the service records, so when I got home I went through them and found a dealer receipt that he took the car in for this same problem, they bleed the Hyd clutch and said they didn't see any problems. FYI this is in Michigan in the winter. The former owner reported the problem in August/summer. I will admit I was driving the car hard (what a fun car!) and had 2 adults and 2 kids in the car when it acted up for me. Has not happened again since. I did reply to the poll.

OP
Redty
Thread Starter #39
Just bought a 2015 FiST 49k from the original owner, He works for Ford and bought it new. The former owner had all work done at the dealer, The car was his baby, he is in his early 50's, so not a kid beating on it.
The day I was driving it home this "clutch pedal" problem happed to me, The clutch was near the floor, it still worked but it was nearly on the floor, I lifted the pedal with my foot and it returned to the proper height and has continued to work OK since.
The former owner provided me with all of the service records, so when I got home I went through them and found a dealer receipt that he took the car in for this same problem, they bleed the Hyd clutch and said they didn't see any problems. FYI this is in Michigan in the winter. The former owner reported the problem in August/summer. I will admit I was driving the car hard (what a fun car!) and had 2 adults and 2 kids in the car when it acted up for me. Has not happened again since. I did reply to the poll.
Good to know, thanks for adding to the overall discussion.

Well, all of a sudden the problem started again today. Now it’s hard to drive. 44K miles. Is the clutch slave considered a part of the drivetrain?