Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb AccessPort V3 Review on STOCK Fiesta ST

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Then I'm assuming you also upgraded the MFT. Could be a hardware issue with an older version of MFT. When I flash I don't lose anything, not even my preset stations.
:D

koozy

3000 Post Club
we're not losing station presets, we're losing equalizer settings. Those that don't adjust their equalizer wouldn't notice a difference, but I'm ok with it since MFT is basically rebooting and resetting itself.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yup my radio would not turn on and sync told me i had a text message then showed it to me and then said I couldnt read it as I was moving .. after the hard fuse pulling reset it said my phone can not display text meassages LOL.. at least now after the last reflash it still turns on and sync works as well as it ever has...

razorlab

1000 Post Club
we're not losing station presets, we're losing equalizer settings. Those that don't adjust their equalizer would notice a difference, but I'm ok with it since MFT is basically rebooting and resetting itself.
Yup I just lose the EQ settings and the Fade L/R F/R settings.

It also reverts back to the that annoying as hell 911 setting that tells you that you don't have it set up every time you turn the car on.

felopr

NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LEAVE THE ACCESSPORT CONNECTED AFTER INSTALLING THE MAP!!

So I know a lot of you are on the fence regarding what tuner to get... I received my Cobb AP V3 this last Thursday, installed it and had it mounted in 10 minutes, literally. I did it on a 10m break. It literally could not be easier to install, and the cable routing is a snap - I ran it through that crack in the lower dash over to where I mounted the unit, next to the start button. This looks tidy and doesn't obstruct my view, and I can clearly use my boost gauge.

The 91 Octane Stage I Map is what I am currently running, and holy hell, the car wakes up. On paper, the gains don't look that significant, until you drive with it and realize those gains are across the entire powerband. I haven't needed to downshift as much and the car has significantly more low-RPM torque - 2nd gear starts are now possible - and easy. I don't need to downshift after losing revs.

I also tried the Economy map. I ran the 91 Stage I map back to back with the Economy Map - the Economy Map limits you to 5psi of boost, which really takes a lot of steam out of the car, BUT the tradeoff is that it DOES legit improve fuel economy. Normal range for me on a freeway run is 30 even, today's run in light traffic both ways was 28 for the Stage I and 32 for the Economy tune. I don't really feel lacking for power on the freeway with the economy tune, it's just low-speed stuff like passing on the street where you discover where that other 15psi of boost gets you out of the hole. It's a great option for those who really like fuel economy or want to make a road-trip. The 91 Octane map is daily driveable but you do need to be more ginger with the throttle as the car is now MUCH more responsive and has much more noticeable power.

A friend of mine has Randy from FSWerks' maps on the car and notes that the FSWerks maps, while they do make more power, are harder to drive with - any throttle = you are making boost and mileage goes down - the Cobb tune seems to be a nice middle of the road place to be for those who want more speed but don't want to feel like they're driving a goddamn racecar to work (those who have driven a racecar know just how different than streetcars they are - they are not comfortable and DEMAND your full attention at all times)

Install/Removal takes moments and there's nothing the dealer would see - take 5 mins and reflash to stock before your every-7500-mile dealer visit. Do you know how infrequent 7500 mi is? That's every 6.5 months or so of average driving.

For $500, it's a hell of a lot of bang for the buck and makes way more difference than an exhaust or "intake" will net you. Hit up Jurrian (ModBargains on this Forum) and he can probably work you a deal - and they pricematch.

Dollar for dollar, it is the best money you'll spend on your Fiesta ST. Don't waste your money on anything else until you've got one of these badboys - and the thing to keep in mind is that it's easy to change maps to adjust as you mod the car more.

Coupled with a performance airbox and an intercooler, it might be REALLY formidable.

Something to note, you may want to hold out for the Cobb IC - I recently installed the Cobb FMIC on a Focus ST and the one thing the Cobb kits include that Mountune doesnt is intercooler piping. You wouldn't think there's that much to lose from IC piping, but the OEM Ford bastards were all kinds of wonky with weird oval bottlenecks and had some sort of weird resonator donut. MounTune's IC doesn't include piping - they just sell that separately.

I don't know what you're holding out for - this is the best mod on the market.
reviving an old thread lol, anyways, dont you think this is a little to high to set the AP for one too see clearly?

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #86
I think i did end up moving it slightly lower after the adhesive let go on a hot day.

But I like it there for my personal preference, and I didn't see many other "convenient" ways to mount it. Cobb now offers a pillar mounts as well which are quite popular

Have the MFT issues been fixed with the newest MAP? Do the AP V3 come preloaded with the newest MAP that fixed the rpm hang?

JasonHaven

NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LEAVE THE ACCESSPORT CONNECTED AFTER INSTALLING THE MAP!!
So does this mean you can install a tune (lets say economy tune), disconnect the Accessport, throw it in the glovebox or whatever, and it'll keep running the economy tune indefinitely, until you plug it in and install something else? Or do you have to connect it every time you turn the car on and choose a tune?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
You can disconnect it and the tune stays. Once you have installed the tune you never have to have the AP3 in the car again if you don't want.

koozy

3000 Post Club
No need to have the Accessport connected once a tune is installed, though a majority of people do to use the helpful gauges and logging features.

JasonHaven

No need to have the Accessport connected once a tune is installed, though a majority of people do to use the helpful gauges and logging features.
Yeah, I would if not for recently getting an OBD dongle that connects to a fuel tracking website etc, hence why I was curious. Thanks for the answers :)

The "stock" COBB tunes are pretty dependable I'm assuming? This really seems like the best bang for buck out there.

Is it ok to run stage 1 tune with some mods such as a intake and tb spacers. Also, if I add an intercooler and continue running stage 1, am I staying on the safer side of the tune? Never used an accessport or similar in the past and am just a tad nervous about changing what the manufacturer configured for the engine :)

thx!

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Is it ok to run stage 1 tune with some mods such as a intake and tb spacers. Also, if I add an intercooler and continue running stage 1, am I staying on the safer side of the tune? Never used an accessport or similar in the past and am just a tad nervous about changing what the manufacturer configured for the engine :)

thx!
You will be good stage 1. Stage 1 is modified intake and tune. 2 is intercooler. And cobbs ots maps are super safe. Don't worry about that.