Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COBB exhaust possible issue???

I was waiting to do a turn around today to head into my work parking lot, and all of a sudden I hear a ticking noise big time coming from the back of my car, I pulled into work get out and it is my cobb exhaust. I have the Cobb exhaust hangers on there which have been great, but all of a sudden there is a tick noise. I cant figure it out. If I move the exhaust a little bit it makes a tick like something is loose, or something broke inside the muffler possible. I am not sure, anyone else experience this?!?

J2FoRS

Could be as simple as a leak at one of the joints, a break in a weld, or ya the internals of the muffler could have broke loose but usually that's a lower quality kinda issue I've never heard of Cobb issues. Lifetime warranty? If not...I could draw you a..MAP on where to get your next bad ass exhaust ;) haha. But seriously, I'd love to know how this turns out. Subbed for interest.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
If you can hear the noise by moving it, maybe get under the car and see where it's coming from?

OP
Thread Starter #5
If you can hear the noise by moving it, maybe get under the car and see where it's coming from?
I did that for the brief second I had before running late for work. It is 100% coming from the muffler. I don't know if something broke inside, or if the welds on the hanger for broker or what. I BURNED the shit out of my wrist touching it, so Hopefully at lunch I can run out there and look more in depth..I just thought if anyone else had a noise, It is the same noise when something gets to hot it makes a tick kind of sound if that makes sense? I will update this thread as soon as I figure out what it is, but it is 100% the muffler area. I can rev it up al lday. Launch control at 6200 rpms, no noise. soon as I move with my hand it makes the tick, or go over a bump or anything.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I did that for the brief second I had before running late for work. It is 100% coming from the muffler. I don't know if something broke inside, or if the welds on the hanger for broker or what. I BURNED the shit out of my wrist touching it, so Hopefully at lunch I can run out there and look more in depth..I just thought if anyone else had a noise, It is the same noise when something gets to hot it makes a tick kind of sound if that makes sense? I will update this thread as soon as I figure out what it is, but it is 100% the muffler area. I can rev it up al lday. Launch control at 6200 rpms, no noise. soon as I move with my hand it makes the tick, or go over a bump or anything.
I kid you not I had a squirrel hide a nut in my vehicle's tail pipe before. Meaning check the tailpipe to see if there is anything visible there.

OP
Thread Starter #8
Pretty sure I figured it out. The weld on the LAST hanger on the muffle is broken a little bit, and moving up and down, and making the ticking noise....Time to contact cobb....Hopefully they will make it right for me, considering I have had the exhaust maybe 6 months.....

OP
Thread Starter #9
Figured out exactly what happened. The weld on the last hanger right near the bumper broke. It started to come apart from the muffler, which is why I heard the tick noise. I called Cobb they told me to take pictures, and send them in. I went to take pictures this morning, and the entire weld broke. The muffler is hanging in the back. Just wanted to give an update so everyone knows. [MENTION=3329]j2FiST[/MENTION] this is for you! Hopefully they will take care of me quickly! Driving to work this morning it sounded like someone was beating the back of my car up with a bat or something.

MPA

You can probably take it to a muffler shop, and they'd have you fixed pretty quick

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Could it be hitting the I-brace ? My injen 3" was making noise until I took the brace off
^^^ This. I had this same issue with my Scorpion exhaust system. I was using the crap OEM hangers. Over time the hangers started stretching/sagging. I didn't want to remove the brace so I just added washers to give the exhaust more clearance. Then one of the hangers broke and put a strain on the other hangers. They stretched a bit more and I started hearing the noise again. It just continued to get worse after a week so I looked under the car and found the broken hanger. Replaced all the hangers with heavy duty ones. No more sagging and I don't even need the washers under the brace anymore. [:)]

I'd take a look under the car.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Remove the rear (muffler) section and move it around and see if something is in there. Maybe it is just some welding flash and you can get it to fall out. I've actually seen this happen before after many heating/cooling cycles.

OP
Thread Starter #15
^^^ This. I had this same issue with my Scorpion exhaust system. I was using the crap OEM hangers. Over time the hangers started stretching/sagging. I didn't want to remove the brace so I just added washers to give the exhaust more clearance. Then one of the hangers broke and put a strain on the other hangers. They stretched a bit more and I started hearing the noise again. It just continued to get worse after a week so I looked under the car and found the broken hanger. Replaced all the hangers with heavy duty ones. No more sagging and I don't even need the washers under the brace anymore. [:)]

I'd take a look under the car.
Yeah I have the Cobb exhaust hangers on there because the stock ones sucked so bad. But the actual hanger on the welded to the muffler that connects to the cobb exhaust heavy duty hangers. broker off the muffler. So the muffler is hanging down. Ha, it sucks.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Yeah I have the Cobb exhaust hangers on there because the stock ones sucked so bad. But the actual hanger on the welded to the muffler that connects to the cobb exhaust heavy duty hangers. broker off the muffler. So the muffler is hanging down. Ha, it sucks.
Yep, that would do it! LOL [tongue] Did it break at the weld?

That's an easy fix, albeit a trip to a muffler shop is in order.

OP
Thread Starter #17
Yep, that would do it! LOL [tongue] Did it break at the weld?

That's an easy fix, albeit a trip to a muffler shop is in order.
Yeah it broke at the weld. Yeah, I supposed I could, I am going to see what Cobb says first..I don't like the muffler shop around me, They did my exhaust on my Dart when I had it, and Wow was it garage...The welds leaked, and just a long story. haha