Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coilover question

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are you asking about the rear setup only, as ALL of the front setups for this car are 'married', by factory McPherson strut design.

Even if it could/would work, geometry/function wise, I believe that the rear mounting point for the damper would be too weak to support that load/stress without substantial reinforcement. [wink]

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Ford Spec B coilovers are what you are looking for, and as stated above, the rear shock mounting points would need SIGNIFICANT reinforcement. in order to support the weight of the car. A strut tower bar would not be enough, that section of the sheet metal body is not intended to carry the weight of the vehicle.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was going to mention the Ford Racing B-Specs, but I figured that they were even more non-existent/UN-obtanium than even the Mountune front subframe braces are currently. [wink]

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Indeed, they are long out of production but they pop up for sale from time to time.

kevinatfms

The B-spec Eibach/Ford Racing kit required the cage to be tied into each upper strut mounting point. Without the cage reinforcement the shock mount location would tear away.

With that, a divorced setup is still a viable option in B-spec classing and i am actually building that exact setup right now.

Here is the parts list:
Bilstein 47-167490(Fiesta/Mazda2) or Bilstein 47-242043(Fiesta ST)
Chris Taylor Racing or DNA Motoring camber plates(need -3.0 camber up front)
Eibach ERS 2.50 inch dia Coilover Helper Spring × 4
Eibach ERS 2.50 inch dia Coilover Spacer × 4
Eibach ERS 7.00 inch L x 2.50 inch dia x 500 lbs Coil Over Spring × 2(REAR)
Eibach ERS 6.00 inch L x 2.50 inch dia x 500 lbs Coil Over Spring × 2(FRONT)

Take the progressive springs off the B14 kit and toss them. Slip the coilover springs on with the helper springs and the coilover spacers between the helper and eibach 2.5" springs. Use the Chris Taylor or DNA camber plates up front for as much camber as you need(im going with -3.0).

Eibach ran 450/500 while i am going with Chris Taylor Racing's recommendation for 500/500.

Hope to document the build out and install of these.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The B-spec Eibach/Ford Racing kit required the cage to be tied into each upper strut mounting point. Without the cage reinforcement the shock mount location would tear away.
^^^THIS! [thumb]

My guess is that those B-Spec crews also welded a very, very thick top plate on the top of the strut, and especially the rear top mount as well. [wink]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This is not 100% correct however the body at the top rear shock mount was modified to provide support.
The rollcage was only tied in to prevent inward bowing of the body.
When Eibach used my car test a streetable version of the B-Spec setup, I drove the B-Spec setup without mods for about a month.
For use here in the US, to prevent lawsuits, it was decided to relocate the rear springs back to the twist beam but then the project was canceled and not sold in the US.

BTW: This is where you can get the B-Spec coilover set.
https://www.motorsportandperformanc...ford-racing-fiesta-b-spec-race-suspension-kit

Last edited:

kevinatfms

This is not 100% correct however the body at the top rear shock mount was modified to provide support.
The rollcage was only tied in to prevent inward bowing of the body.
When Eibach used my car test a streetable version of the B-Spec setup, I drove the B-Spec setup without mods for about a month.
For use here in the US, to prevent lawsuits, it was decided to relocate the rear springs back to the twist beam but then the project was canceled and not sold in the US.

BTW: This is where you can get the B-Spec coilover set.
https://www.motorsportandperformanc...ford-racing-fiesta-b-spec-race-suspension-kit
You literally state exactly what occurs.....the body bows inward causing the sheet metal to tear.

From what i have personally seen the only thing done to the rear towers is the cage tie points and the dimpled reinforcement plate(which happens to be under the grey rule for backing plates). What other modifications have you seen?