Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coils: NGK vs Motorcraft vs ?

Searched but couldn't find any threads on this so far. I have 3rd party in right now, Nappa brand and i want to get them replaced soon. I was recommended to stick with Motorcraft (stock?) but i also read that NGK was an actual ford item, or designed by ford perhaps. Regardless the plugs we all use are NGK so i know the brand is good but how do the coils compare? The only place i have found Motorcraft coils are at the local Ford dealer and they are $330 for a set of 4, while NGK online are $130. Any and all thoughts and info on coils is welcome. If there are other threads on this already im happy to head there.

the duke

OEM. Aftermarket coil packs gain nothing really, unless you’re pushing silly power. These aren’t like old Sparkplug wires where that’s a bit to be gained. Coil packs operate on a rather digital “they work or they don’t” principle.

much like oil filters, the OEM ones never really fail. I just replaced all 8 on my fathers 03 mustang GT (FML they’re 60 a coil!). Even 1000hp mustangs ran the OEM packs, aftermarket offered no gain, half the time had quality issues.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
A lot of folks run weird-idium plugs and such. I ran full stock on E30 for years and only switched to step colders after upgrading some of the plumbing and wastegate because my tuner preferred it. I'm thinking about going back to stock heats again just to see if they perform any worse than step colders.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #6
I had NGKs on my Acura. Good quality. $330 is outrageous. Get the NGKs
I'm running NGK coils at the moment. They work great. Cars been running good on FBO X57RS E30 tuned.
Ok this is what i was wondering. May be no "performance" to be gained as GTX mentioned but the price savings would sure be nice, i've already spent over 5 grand in the last year in mods 🤢

the duke

My apologies, My perspective was for aftermarket (such as holly, MSD, etc). If it’s from an OEM supplier it’s likely the same piece as motor craft.

Fiestig

Aftermarket... Pumaspeed...Period. I just did a 600 mile run on mine and power comes on stronger and smoother throughout the entire RPM range. I did cycle back to OEM just to make sure it wasn't a fluke or placebo affect... and it's no fluke.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Aftermarket... Pumaspeed...Period. I just did a 600 mile run on mine and power comes on stronger and smoother throughout the entire RPM range. I did cycle back to OEM just to make sure it wasn't a fluke or placebo affect... and it's no fluke.
You have a link to the ones you bought?

Fiestig

Have you taken any logs to see a measurable difference?
Nope. I have no need for an AP since I run custom piggybacks, however I suppose I could run logs on Torque. I have already swapped them back and forth so I probably won't do that again for a while. I have logged the lower price difference though at $47.89 shipped compared to OEM...lol.(y)

dhminer

2000 Post Club
It’s the opposite of savings but you can always hit up Westley at Phul Performance and run his kit that lets you use Focus ST/RS coils.