Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Compact tool sets

koozy

3000 Post Club
Anyone else a fan of trying to keep their tools sets simple?

So show us your most often used tools/sets used on the Fiesta ST. I'm always looking for new ideas and ways to improve.

Here's mine. 85 pieces in the palm of my hands.
90% of what I use to work on the Fiesta ST is in here. Best part I like is that I can easily throw it in the car without taking up a lot of space.
If it's not in here, I shouldn't be working on whatever it is on the road.

Here's what's inside.

and in the zippered pouch.

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I use this: https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Tool-Bag-p/21tb-l.htm

It’s a little larger than yours but I need the space for some of the tools needed to replace my truck’s front axles when they break on the trail. The build quality it outstanding and worth every penny.

What are the most common sockets used on the Fiesta ST? 7,8,10,12,13,14,15,17? You’ve got me thinking about putting together a smaller kit for my car.

I am a geezer. I still think s-k made in usa rule. comes in a green plastic box no bigger than a laptop. I never have rounded off or stripped or broken hardware. places like tooltopia sell them heavily discounted. fwiw boyracer

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Early SK is awesome. I like early Williams, SK, Proto, Klein...

I keep a Klein tool bag in the trunk. It is relatively complete and I can do most everything on the car with the tools in it. I will take a pic later today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I use this: https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Tool-Bag-p/21tb-l.htm

It’s a little larger than yours but I need the space for some of the tools needed to replace my truck’s front axles when they break on the trail. The build quality it outstanding and worth every penny.

What are the most common sockets used on the Fiesta ST? 7,8,10,12,13,14,15,17? You’ve got me thinking about putting together a smaller kit for my car.
That Blueridge is nice, the materials used look similar to my Kriega Tool Roll, which is also very durable. I've had mine for about ~10 yrs. now. https://kriega.us/tool-roll/

I got it as part of my motorcycle tool gear, as it was compact enough to take along with me.

One of the features I appreciate are the hook and loop straps. They provide some sort of organization and a home for my tools. It's so accommodating that I gave up my dedicated screw drivers which I find that I really don't use that much for a multi-use driver and added more tools today to make it an 85 piece kit. I've updated my photos above. The hook/loop straps helps in accounting for all of my tools to make sure I didn't forget something behind. Small things in the pouch tend to get forgotten over time. I forget what I have in there until I empty it out, like my valve stem tool.

The socket sizes you mention are pretty common and good to have in general. What I have found good to have are my picks, especially the 45 degree one I use for releasing electrical security release clips and pulling the metal cowl clips. Also good to have is a small t-socket set for the Fiesta. Some things like the headlight screw you can get away with using a flathead because it has provisions for it, but there are some screws that require a t-socket and if you don't have one, game over LOL.

I don't have any 1/2" tools in there. Anything that require 1/2" is usually for chassis/suspension and for those types of jobs I do at home. I do have several extensions for 3/8" and 1/4", this allows me to create a needed length if I'm not at home.

Last edited:

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Only thing it's missing is some slip joint pliers. I really like the Knipex pliers wrench but it would cost more than the entire tool kit I have put together here LOL. Most of it is Kobalt with some Proto and SK mixed in with the spark plug socket and extensions.

My actual mobile tool bag is much more complete and has slightly higher quality tools. For sockets I like Snap-On, for combo wrenches I like Mac but if they're ratcheting they need to be Matco for me. The mobile tool bag is what I bring for roadside repairs for friends or family and I can take apart and put back together an entire car with it.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I'm also a fan of SK tools and have a few, just hard to find locally.
One of my favorite pastimes is digging through the tool bins at pawn shops. That's about the only way to find SK locally for me.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I also have this Gorilla extending tire iron. It's 1/2in drive so works with any normal socket. I have a thin-wall 19x21 combo socket on it.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thanks, yours too. You had me pulling out my mobile tool bag to compare and see what I'm missing! Haha

I grabbed some pics while I had it out. I've been fine tuning this bag for the past 10 years or so. I've never needed more than this, whether roadside or driveway repair. Sometimes I'll use 1/2in drive tools and larger breaker bars, but I could get it done with this kit if needed.

All my sockets and wrenches are 6-point btw.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Thanks, yours too. You had me pulling out my mobile tool bag to compare and see what I'm missing! Haha

I grabbed some pics while I had it out. I've been fine tuning this bag for the past 10 years or so. I've never needed more than this, whether roadside or driveway repair. Sometimes I'll use 1/2in drive tools and larger breaker bars, but I could get it done with this kit if needed.

All my sockets and wrenches are 6-point btw.
I also use tool bags, most of my tools are Craftsman because it was easy to source, their warrantee and quality. Now that Sears is on the brink I'm not sure if the warrantee will stand soon. I also have some Harbor Freight tools, which serve my use perfectly fine. I don't make a living with my tools, if I did I would probably have nicer quality sets. As long as the tool does not hurt me, ruin fasteners or break under normal intended use as designed I'm good.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Yeah I have plenty of Craftsman tools also. I have recently started facing them out for Kobalt but now it looks like Kobalt will be no more because Lowes is clearing them out so they can carry Craftsman instead. LMAO who knows what's going to happen

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Craftsman is now carried at lowes! They picked em up. Goid deal for those of GB us who have them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Actually Stanley Black & Decker picked them up. Sears sold off the right to the name. It's just a name nothing more at this point. Lowe's has good customer service. Kobalt tools are guaranteed for life anyway.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Stanley? craftsman? oh too funny. 50 years ago New Britain tool in new britian conn made the tools for Stanley, MAC, military, napa and various others. as the stomach churns, aka as the world turns.....

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I usually carry my tool bag....I have no organization to it just throw a bunch of wrenches....sockets....ratchets....Bits.....torch....soldering iron....special pliers...assorted screw drivers. Keeps the mind sharp when you can just look into a bag and grab the correct tool the first try.[cheerleader]