Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolerworx PRO Short Shifter Kit

Just ordered the Coolerworx shifter assembly, over 200 off from standard price on their website for Black Friday was too good to pass up. Coolerworx owners, what should I expect? I hear the install is very finicky, but it's worth it in the end. What do you guys think?

I love my Coolerworx. Granted I bought it second hand so I didn't have to do any adjustments on it so I can't speak to that, but you're right, installation is a bit fidly with the trans cables and fitting over the studs on the floor. But with patience it goes in. I had to shave off some of the passengers side plastic trim to fit the right and left movement joint, and a bit closer to the AC controls but that's not too hard, and it's so worth it for the way more direct feel the shifter gives and the psychological effect of feeling like it's a much cooler sequential box (even if it's not). Just prepare to explain how to use it to anyone who might drive your car.

Attachments

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #3
I love my Coolerworx. Granted I bought it second hand so I didn't have to do any adjustments on it so I can't speak to that, but you're right, installation is a bit fidly with the trans cables and fitting over the studs on the floor. But with patience it goes in. I had to shave off some of the passengers side plastic trim to fit the right and left movement joint, and a bit closer to the AC controls but that's not too hard, and it's so worth it for the way more direct feel the shifter gives and the psychological effect of feeling like it's a much cooler sequential box (even if it's not). Just prepare to explain how to use it to anyone who might drive your car.
After reading through the thread of all the Coolerworx failure issues, thinking about cancelling my order and getting a quick shift kit instead, to be honest. But the notchiness that I hear the shifter gives is something I'm looking for. Hard decision to make...

Personally the only thing negative I've experienced is one of these bolts came a little bit loose (felt more movement than normal in between the gear gates), so I just removed my center console again and tightened it back up. I heard that they upgraded the design a few years back after a lot of the negative issues were reported, and I've had nothing major with mine. But completely up to you of course

Attachments

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #5
Personally the only thing negative I've experienced is one of these bolts came a little bit loose (felt more movement than normal in between the gear gates), so I just removed my center console again and tightened it back up. I heard that they upgraded the design a few years back after a lot of the negative issues were reported, and I've had nothing major with mine. But completely up to you of course
Considering this won't be a track car (yet), I sent Coolerworx an email about cancelling it. I'm sure the Mountune kit will be good enough for a street car. Knowing Coolerworx's customer support, I may end up with their assembly anyway. If so, I'll just end up using it.

I always felt like the biggest pro to the Coolerworkx setup was how little distance your hand has to travel from the wheel to the shifter. I really enjoy the feel of a short shift adapter and upgraded bushings but I'm sure the Coolerworx feels pretty great overall. Can't go wrong with either direction it seems.

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #7
I always felt like the biggest pro to the Coolerworkx setup was how little distance your hand has to travel from the wheel to the shifter. I really enjoy the feel of a short shift adapter and upgraded bushings but I'm sure the Coolerworx feels pretty great overall. Can't go wrong with either direction it seems.
I cancelled my Coolerworx order in favor of a Mountune quick shift kit. Practically speaking, installation difficulty and risk are on the side of the Mountune. I do absolutely see myself eventually owning a Coolerworx kit, now was just not the time.

I cancelled my Coolerworx order in favor of a Mountune quick shift kit. Practically speaking, installation difficulty and risk are on the side of the Mountune. I do absolutely see myself eventually owning a Coolerworx kit, now was just not the time.
Heard on that! The Mountune kit sounds great anyways.

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #9
Heard on that! The Mountune kit sounds great anyways.
I hope it's as great as I've heard it is. Wish Mountune didn't die in the US, their parts always seemed pretty good quality. Wish I could've got their catback.

I hope it's as great as I've heard it is. Wish Mountune didn't die in the US, their parts always seemed pretty good quality. Wish I could've got their catback.
Did they formally discontinue it? Seems like they get just a handful in stock a few times a year. Was out of stock for months before I managed to grab mine about a year ago. Also a big fan of the overall fit and finish on Mountune parts personally.

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #11
Did they formally discontinue it? Seems like they get just a handful in stock a few times a year. Was out of stock for months before I managed to grab mine about a year ago. Also a big fan of the overall fit and finish on Mountune parts personally.
Not dead, but they might as well be. All the new (and cool) stuff gets exclusively released to mountune’s non USA site, which sucks because you can’t order from there if you live in the US. Originally the plan with my FiST was to go all mountune, but that went out the door when I realized the situation their US sector was in.

Not dead, but they might as well be. All the new (and cool) stuff gets exclusively released to mountune’s non USA site, which sucks because you can’t order from there if you live in the US. Originally the plan with my FiST was to go all mountune, but that went out the door when I realized the situation their US sector was in.
Damn, talk about unfortunate. Could go for a Whoosh V1 intercooler if you're trying to hit the Mountune size / responsiveness balance. I feel like the ST200 airbox is probably going to be a touch better than the Mountune intake kit, and overall plumbing seems to be an option as a blend of Whoosh, Ramair, etc. so you can absolutely get to a similar overall build.

Exhaust wise the Cobb is probably the most similar to the Mountune from what I've seen and heard, FSwerks as a cheaper option and Thermal as a similarly well engineered alternative to the Mountune from my second-hand perspective.

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #13
Damn, talk about unfortunate. Could go for a Whoosh V1 intercooler if you're trying to hit the Mountune size / responsiveness balance. I feel like the ST200 airbox is probably going to be a touch better than the Mountune intake kit, and overall plumbing seems to be an option as a blend of Whoosh, Ramair, etc. so you can absolutely get to a similar overall build.

Exhaust wise the Cobb is probably the most similar to the Mountune from what I've seen and heard, FSwerks as a cheaper option and Thermal as a similarly well engineered alternative to the Mountune from my second-hand perspective.
Yeah, Mountune actually has their induction kits for 15% off rn so I was taking a look at that, or was gonna go with the ST200 kit down the line. Cobb seems like the best exhaust option that doesn’t drone, and I feel like the whoosh v3 would be worth the extra bit of cash. Especially, let’s say, if you were to get it right now while it’s 15% off. Looks like we think pretty similarly in terms of mods.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Just know that the Mountune short shifter requires removing/replacing the part from stock assembly. It’s a much better design than the screw-on adapters but if you go to a coolerworx in the future, it’s going to be a nightmare. I elected to just replace the entire gear selector assembly when I installed the Coolerworx because it was easier.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
One note of caution here, reiterating what dhminer stated above, is that you will HAVE TO remove the Mountune (or any other under hood short shifter 'plate') in order for the Coolerworx to function properly (or even at all!). [:(]

The problem with this is that as much of a pain as it is to install the Mountune plate, it is 10x the pain to remove it.

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #16
One note of caution here, reiterating what dhminer stated above, is that you will HAVE TO remove the Mountune (or any other under hood short shifter 'plate') in order for the Coolerworx to function properly (or even at all!). [:(]

The problem with this is that as much of a pain as it is to install the Mountune plate, it is 10x the pain to remove it.
I’m aware, as the Coolerworx threads have stated. I don’t fully mind having to uninstall the mountune if I eventually do go to the Coolerworx.

OP
benkats
Thread Starter #17
Just know that the Mountune short shifter requires removing/replacing the part from stock assembly. It’s a much better design than the screw-on adapters but if you go to a coolerworx in the future, it’s going to be a nightmare. I elected to just replace the entire gear selector assembly when I installed the Coolerworx because it was easier.
Would you mind elaborating on what makes the Mountune so much worse to uninstall? I’m assuming because it also replace the shifter arm (I think).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
After reading through the thread of all the Coolerworx failure issues, thinking about cancelling my order and getting a quick shift kit instead, to be honest. But the notchiness that I hear the shifter gives is something I'm looking for. Hard decision to make...
Boomba Short throw shifter assesembly* Out of all the adapters and shift assemblies. Theirs is the best. But if you get an adapter get the Mountune. Not notchy at all.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Boomba Short throw shifter assesembly* Out of all the adapters and shift assemblies. Theirs is the best. But if you get an adapter get the Mountune. Not notchy at all.
I thoroughly enjoy my Boomba Short Shifter (not adapter, which goes under the hood). It was easy to install. Slightly tedious, but easy. I like that the knob is closer to my leg.

Last edited: