Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Crossover Pipe Install - Material

Hey Guys,

I have two questions about a crossover pipe kit. Question 1: I know of brands like ITG, Whoosh, Ramair but they are aluminum does any company make the large diamater like the brands I have mentioned but in plastic ? During the summer month I can imagine that the aluminum has to get hot and plastic would keep the air cooler? I could be off base but just thinking I have had CAI on my mustangs and some brands were a metal tube and it would get really hot from the engine heat so most companies like JLT, Airraid,etc. switched over to the plastic tubes. Anyone just wondering if there was a brand that did plastic and anyone had experience with them.

2) I have a lift so I can get the car in the air, would that make it possible to replace the tube without removing the headlights, cowling, etc.? I have watched a ton of video's and although it doesn't look that hard my 2019 has so few miles on it (under 3K) kinda of hate taking all that off unless that is the only way to get it done? Just wondering if anyone has done it without the tear down.

Thanks in advance.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
1. Its all pre intercooler. As long as you have heat shields on the manifold/downpipe or some gold heat tape on the pipe youre fine. Get an intercooler with a decent core and. Temps get down to ambient.

2. Its miles easier getting the cowl out of the way. Best to not break stuff and take it all apart the right way.

Erick_V

+1 to taking the cowl off. You can install the crossover pipe with the cowl still on but you’ll scratch the hell out of your pipe squeezing it in there. So don’t try that route either lol. The first time you take the cowl off take your time, hardest part for me is always the wiper blades. They always seem to be seized on there. Other than that takes me 5 minutes.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
+1 to taking the cowl off. You can install the crossover pipe with the cowl still on but you’ll scratch the hell out of your pipe squeezing it in there. So don’t try that route either lol. The first time you take the cowl off take your time, hardest part for me is always the wiper blades. They always seem to be seized on there. Other than that takes me 5 minutes.
Best solution is a small spritz of lubricant. And then wiggle the arms when they are lifted. Dont pry because risk of broken windshield.

I didn't take anything off to install my whoosh crossover pipe. Just put the coupler on the turbo inlet, line up the clamps to an easy position to fit your hand and ratchet. Then take the end of the pipe and at a 45° perpendicular to the inlet and with a "das boot" spin you'll insert it into the coupler then just set it down. Finally swing it into the two mounting screws and tighten it all up.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Like others said getting the cowl and headlights off is not too difficult. I made a video that shows how to get the headlights off in about a minute without frustration, check it out on YouTube if that would help. Besides, you are probably going to be in there again replacing the turbo inlet or turbo itself or manifold or who knows what, might as well get used to taking things apart.

It can be done though without removing everything, just the sort of thing that’s not worth the frustration in my opinion. I’m at a point that I can get the headlights and cowl off in about seven minutes, and you have so much more room to work it really makes the job more pleasant.

OP
vmaxbaby
Thread Starter #8
Thank you guys for your reply I appreciate it. So sounds like for me I should remove the cowl. So for the mid pipe no brands that are made out of plastic that intakes are made of, of all fiesta mid pipes are aluminum? I see some guys have wrapped their mid-pipe with header tape but I want it to look as steath as possible so not a fan of that for me.

Erick_V

Thank you guys for your reply I appreciate it. So sounds like for me I should remove the cowl. So for the mid pipe no brands that are made out of plastic that intakes are made of, of all fiesta mid pipes are aluminum? I see some guys have wrapped their mid-pipe with header tape but I want it to look as steath as possible so not a fan of that for me.
I'll snag a picture for you but even with gold tape and the hood open its not too noticeable. I don't have the heatshield on the exhaust manifold because like many others I didn't feel like going through the hassle to reinstall it after doing my downpipe. The crossover pipe was too hot to touch after a hard or long drive but after wrapping it with DEI Gold Tape I can pop the hood after a hard drive and touch it. Warm yes, but not burning hot. If you or anyone goes the route I did I would recommend you use spray adhesive in addition to the tape. There is a couple spots where it's either bubbling or lifting. Nothing major but I wish I had done it. Like PunkST said, black crossover. Whoosh has them and I have one on my car. Fit and finish was perfect!

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...017-crossover-pipe-kit?variant=15261062070335

P.S. Actually just noticed he now offers a Cerakoted crossover pipe so it will look good and stealth and offer great heat resistance!

OP
vmaxbaby
Thread Starter #12
Like others said getting the cowl and headlights off is not too difficult. I made a video that shows how to get the headlights off in about a minute without frustration, check it out on YouTube if that would help. Besides, you are probably going to be in there again replacing the turbo inlet or turbo itself or manifold or who knows what, might as well get used to taking things apart.

It can be done though without removing everything, just the sort of thing that’s not worth the frustration in my opinion. I’m at a point that I can get the headlights and cowl off in about seven minutes, and you have so much more room to work it really makes the job more pleasant.
I watched your video's a few times on that you make it look easy for sure :) I need to move closer to you Jeff :) Or visit LOL
I'll snag a picture for you but even with gold tape and the hood open its not too noticeable. I don't have the heatshield on the exhaust manifold because like many others I didn't feel like going through the hassle to reinstall it after doing my downpipe. The crossover pipe was too hot to touch after a hard or long drive but after wrapping it with DEI Gold Tape I can pop the hood after a hard drive and touch it. Warm yes, but not burning hot. If you or anyone goes the route I did I would recommend you use spray adhesive in addition to the tape. There is a couple spots where it's either bubbling or lifting. Nothing major but I wish I had done it. Like PunkST said, black crossover. Whoosh has them and I have one on my car. Fit and finish was perfect!

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...017-crossover-pipe-kit?variant=15261062070335

P.S. Actually just noticed he now offers a Cerakoted crossover pipe so it will look good and stealth and offer great heat resistance!
I just noticed that now that you said it and that will be ticket right there. I have ceramic coating on my long tube headers for my mustang and that was $ 700.00 added on to the price of the headers so this cost is nothing :) Thank you for pointing that out to me.