Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Daily driving hybrid/s280 turbo fists

Stkid93

Premium Account
So, from what I’ve read, it seems that a hybrid turbo offers more or less similar drivability and reliability to the stock turbo. That is well documented, what I’m interested in, is how long the fist can keep up this level of reliability? How many people out there have bigger turbos with high miles? Can a hybrid/s280 fist go 200,000 miles?

if you have a hybrid turbo or s280, please answer the following questions

1) how many miles does your car have total?
2) how many miles have you had your upgraded turbo
3) how’s the daily drivability and reliability been for you?
4) what type of fuel do you use?

I’ve got a Pumaspeed X47 hybrid so can comment on that.

1) ~76,000
2) ~10,000
3) Drivability is no different to stock really. If you did a blind test doing city driving I’m not sure you would be able to tell. The only real difference in daily driving is the whistle that some of the hybrids have at around 3k RPM. Reliability has been excellent, just like stock.
4) I’m in the UK so use 97 or 99 depending on what’s available.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
@lemonjs

hey man appreciate the response. So far you have ur x47 on for 10,000 Kms/miles. That’s a decent sample size. I hope the car continues to be reliable for you and you can make it to 150-200k without issues.

I have modified every car I’ve ever owned, but I’ve always stayed in the bolt on and tune area. I’ve never thrown a bigger turbo on a car. The fist is the first car that I really want to experience on with a bigger turbo. The car is great with a e30 tune, but I do think the car would be loads more fun with another 50-75 horsepower.

i think the sweet spot for this car is around 275-300 wheel. Which Is my goal, but it’s also my only car and my daily. And I don’t want to put a bigger turbo in it unless it can remain reliable for long periods of time. Having a car handle a bigger turbo for 20-30k miles is one thing. But having the car go 150-200k miles is really what I’m looking for.

best of luck mate!

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
@dhminer

are you talking about the reliability of the turbo itself, or the reliable of the car with the turbo on it? Because hybrid turbos will never match up to Garrett in overall build quality we are talking about a turbo that’s 1/3-1/2 the price of a name brand.

If you are talking about the reliability of the motor itself I would love to hear about what you think

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I believe a big turbo is better on both fronts. Hybrids put more stress at low RPMs. This is just my opinion though and I’m sure many disagree

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have daily driven my S280 powered car now for two years put about 15k on it. It runs great probably gonna daily the car for another year or so while waiting on a model refresh on my next daily.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
^^Your GR Corolla deal fell through, or you cancelled it??
When I went to Tokyo, I talked to a Toyota NA marketing person and he was like don’t buy yet i wait till 2026 model year announcement its going to be an even better car. I literally passed on a Heavy Metal premium at $41,900 on friday.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I went to Tokyo, I talked to a Toyota NA marketing person and he was like don’t buy yet i wait till 2026 model year announcement its going to be an even better car.
You should have emphatically emphasized to him just how much we want the YARIS version here in the states! [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
FYI Hybrids will generate MORE HEAT due to their smaller size...S280 or GTX/Xona series is the way forward. plus it leaves you room to grow. Buy once...cry once. [driving]