Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Directionally wound springs

Does anyone have a good explanation of the "directionally-wound" springs that come on the MK8? I'm wondering if they could somehow be applied to U.S. FiST for better handling? I haven't found any site that explains them well or shows pictures.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Hmmm ... to me, it implies that they're wound clockwise and counter-clockwise for left/right or right/left. Pure speculation on my part. If it made a difference, I would think lots of manufacturers would be offering it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does anyone have a good explanation of the "directionally-wound" springs that come on the MK8? I'm wondering if they could somehow be applied to U.S. FiST for better handling? I haven't found any site that explains them well or shows pictures.
Buy them up and give it a whirl...chances are Nil....But i have faith in you and nominate you as the guinea pig!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
LOL! I don't even have a FiST yet. I'm planning on buying one next year. I have Tesla Model S right now and am planning on starting a real estate business and will be jumping from apartment to apartment, state to state so plugging in at home will be challenging. So I was looking for a fun gas car that gets good mpg and came across the FiST.

Yes, I plan a lot. :) I was even contemplating importing one from the EU or maybe importing the Puma ST when it's released in a few weeks depending on the reviews.

I read from the automotive press that the MK8 has better handling and a slightly less bouncy ride. Hence my interest in the springs. Though I don't know if they would fit the U.S. FiST.

It would be interesting to get a picture of them. Maybe I'll find a UK forum and ask, or maybe 'spark plug steve' on youtube.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
Hmmm ... to me, it implies that they're wound clockwise and counter-clockwise for left/right or right/left. Pure speculation on my part. If it made a difference, I would think lots of manufacturers would be offering it.
From what I read they are curved/banana shaped.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Here's an explanation of the springs, which are part of what they call force vectoring. This is from drivetribe.com

Spring Is Here - Well Vectoring Springs Anyway
Another new feature - there's quite a lot of them isn't there? - for the third generation Fiesta ST are vectoring springs. Say what now? Let me explain - without going in to full-blown James May mode. These Ford-patented force vectoring springs are used on the ST's twist-beam rear suspension, and are able to apply vectoring forces to the rear suspension as well as enabling cornering forces to travel directly into the spring, for increased lateral stiffness.

View gallery image

The all-new Fiesta ST is the first compact hot-hatchback to benefit from the technology that uses non-uniform, non-interchangeable, directionally-wound springs, and these are cold-formed for better strength and durability. The benefits of using such as system is that the Fiesta ST will offer a sharper turn-in as well sharper steering responses, plus it offers 10 saving other a traditional set up. Ford also states that this setup will not compromise comfort or ride quality, so it sounds like a win-win in my book.

View gallery image

“We went through three times the normal number of suspension iterations to find a set-up that delivered the exciting driving experience demanded of an ST model, but also comfort and refinement for everyday driving,” Roeks said. “The car’s sophisticated dampers self-adjust to tune out high-frequency road imperfections when there is limited demand for damping – like on the motorway, but adjust again to deliver optimised road-holding performance when driven hard.”

Here's another pic one of the blue, in case you don't like the red

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You will be waiting a long time to import one of those from Europe...like 20+years. They don't meet NHTSA Crash test rating here and have different crash bars. ETC.

OP
G
Thread Starter #8
You will be waiting a long time to import one of those from Europe...like 20+years. They don't meet NHTSA Crash test rating here and have different crash bars. ETC.

I am aware of that. Not to mention pollution standards. But Ford makes the Fiesta as a global car so I'd be surprised if they didn't make it to pass U.S. standards. Is our U.S. Fiesta different than international Fiestas for crash safety? I doubt it. A smart company would want to engineer once to sell in as many markets as possible. I think the hardest part is getting the data from Ford.

The other issue is I'd have to export it back once I am done with it or crush it. You can't sell it in the U.S. But it might be worth it. :)

I am aware of that. Not to mention pollution standards. But Ford makes the Fiesta as a global car so I'd be surprised if they didn't make it to pass U.S. standards. Is our U.S. Fiesta different than international Fiestas for crash safety? I doubt it. A smart company would want to engineer once to sell in as many markets as possible. I think the hardest part is getting the data from Ford.

The other issue is I'd have to export it back once I am done with it or crush it. You can't sell it in the U.S. But it might be worth it. :)
Well sorry to disappoint you but crash safety varies greatly from Europe to US so there's ALWAYS changes to bumpers and other parts to meet the regulation of the market.

OP
G
Thread Starter #11
Yeah, you're probably right. People have done it but they import much more expensive cars and are willing to spend the dough to make them pass. A Fiesta isn't worth spending much more money on to import. I might still research just for fun. :)

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Honestly it just sounds like something that's going to fail quickly.

Would it be possible to use the above springs or rear beam plus shocks in my FiST 2015?
The presantation shows it in this - elder - model.

Last edited:
OP
G
Thread Starter #16
Since you are in Czech Republic and luckily get the MK8, maybe find someone who is upgrading their springs for their MK8 and try them out? Or find them in a wreck? It's a pretty straightforward to replace the rear springs.