Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do anyone else have issues with SYNC ALWAYs playing the AM radio when starting the engine?

I generally use a mini 64gb USB thumb drive to play music from inside the center arm rest. It holds thousands of songs that are organized from my iTunes. my car has never continued to play the song it was playing before turning the car off. It has no 'memory' of what it was playing last and I find this to be weird.. . Ive tried it with CDs and same thing. Dont all cars usually just pick up where the left off? It always defaults to the damn AM radio and its just annoying to always have to tap the screen to get back to the folder I was listening to before...

can anyone help?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Picking up where it left off on a USB drive is a challenging thing for a car to do. There are too many variables. Bluetooth uses a standard protocol as do CDs. USB drives (especially flash drives) vary greatly in quality. Different internal chipsets, different file systems, file formats, bit rates, etc. There is no easy way for the car to create and store an index file to understand where it left off. I'd actually be fairly impressed if there was a car that could do this.

Dialcaliper

This car just defaults to radio on startup for some reason, especially after the battery has been disconnected. I hear upgrading to Sync 3.4 can fix the issue

My stopgap solution was to set the first AM preset to a non-channel, so now I just get mild static from the radio on startup. At some point I will try the Sync upgrade (still on 3.0)

OP
Joshyfresh6953
Thread Starter #4
Picking up where it left off on a USB drive is a challenging thing for a car to do. There are too many variables. Bluetooth uses a standard protocol as do CDs. USB drives (especially flash drives) vary greatly in quality. Different internal chipsets, different file systems, file formats, bit rates, etc. There is no easy way for the car to create and store an index file to understand where it left off. I'd actually be fairly impressed if there was a car that could do this.

I figured since all of the older style pioneer head units that have a usb slot, have a memory function, I assumed a system that is 10 years newer would be able to resume the last track... The CD player doesn't even start on the last track... It always Starts playing the AM radio when I turn the car on, to whatever the default AM radio station is lol

Here is a YouTube video link regarding the weird time on the clock changing when I turn the car Off/On... I have a feeling there's some bug in my SYNC that's making it brain fart - can't delete any phones either! I delete them and they all reappear once the car restarts lol

https://youtube.com/shorts/UwCmoqg5vFg?feature=share

Its like its stuck in a permanent "start over brand new" mode every time I turn on the car.... so weird!

OP
Joshyfresh6953
Thread Starter #5
This car just defaults to radio on startup for some reason, especially after the battery has been disconnected. I hear upgrading to Sync 3.4 can fix the issue

My stopgap solution was to set the first AM preset to a non-channel, so now I just get mild static from the radio on startup. At some point I will try the Sync upgrade (still on 3.0)
Ill have to look into updating my Sync 3. Like I said, Ive connected my fist to my wifi but I've never "updated it"... Ill see what version I currently have but it was built in Feb 2018

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I think this has been dealt with on the forum in the past. Have you tried the Search function on the forum?

I have Sync 3 in the FiST and an F150, and both go back to the last thing played.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I generally use a mini 64gb USB thumb drive to play music from inside the center arm rest. It holds thousands of songs that are organized from my iTunes. my car has never continued to play the song it was playing before turning the car off. It has no 'memory' of what it was playing last and I find this to be weird.. . Ive tried it with CDs and same thing. Dont all cars usually just pick up where the left off? It always defaults to the damn AM radio and its just annoying to always have to tap the screen to get back to the folder I was listening to before...
can anyone help?
Try this.....before you open the door to get out, ensure the system is on and using the USB drive. Turn the radio system OFF using the power button, open door so power is cut off. Start the car w/door open or closed. Once the screen is done booting, turn it on and let us know if it defaults to the usb...THAT is how I use my phone's BT connection, otherwise, it defaults to last used when I turn it on, which is FM, because, well, I don't ever want to hear AM again. Lived there, lived that.

OP
Joshyfresh6953
Thread Starter #8
Try this.....before you open the door to get out, ensure the system is on and using the USB drive. Turn the radio system OFF using the power button, open door so power is cut off. Start the car w/door open or closed. Once the screen is done booting, turn it on and let us know if it defaults to the usb...THAT is how I use my phone's BT connection, otherwise, it defaults to last used when I turn it on, which is FM, because, well, I don't ever want to hear AM again. Lived there, lived that.
Thanks! I’ll give it a shot. Currently installing a 180* thermostat but will try once I’m done!

I just updated SYNC (3.0.20204) recently and have been experiencing the same since. At least the part where it reverts to playing radio when I start the car. Then I navigate to USB and it plays from where it left off. Kind of annoying.

OP
Joshyfresh6953
Thread Starter #10
Same here. I noticed that when the car is in the “ACC” function the time is 2.X hrs faster than when it’s turned off OR on. It’s like it has different settings in the ACC vs when the engine is running or when I hit the power button and it shuts off but remains in ACC until I open doors, then all power cuts. I feel like it’s a bug because just this week it started playing music from my USB but it doesn’t pick up, it just plays the first song in the first folder. Shit got a mind of its own

I have a 2019 which came with Sync 3. It resumes quite reliably when listening to the music I have stored on my Iphone. Bad news for a while was at the IOS 16.1 upgrade someone at Apple decided they would reduce the time allotted for establishing a Bluetooth connection. As a result 4 out of 5 times I would not get any Audio. Note, I really do NOT have a very high opinion of computer programmers because shit like this is so common. The problem is that they will do something like this and never consider the effect stream of that change. Finally at IOS 16.5 that issue was corrected.

Now for the latest Sync 3 upgrade. I would suggest that you NOT do this upgrade. Because this is another case where some computer programmer didn't think things thru. I made this mistake during the bluetooth issues with Apple in attempt to solve that problem and it did not provide any solution. Now every time I start the car I have to cancel a message inquiring if I want to locate a wifi connection to allow the car to auto upgrade. Now this might make some sense if it did this when the car was parked but it doesn't do that. It asks if I want to connect to wifi as I am preparing to DRIVE the car. Think about it, has ANYONE ever seen a wifi connection that extends for more than a mile? Usually it's 50 feet or less. Note, this message blocks the center screen until you finally clear it, so it is distinctly annoying and there is no means in Settings to shut this shit off. Sadly this is a glimpse into just how bad Ford Engineering has become. I really should sell my stock in Ford because I am 100% certain that the electric Ford vehicles will prove to be complete Cluster-you know what.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The problem with Sync 3 on back is that Ford worked with Microsoft on it. They designed Sync to integrate really well with Windows Phones, and it did. But Microsoft really botched Windows Phone as far as how they marketed it and even though it really was a good platform, almost nobody bought it. Ford left Microsoft after Sync 3, and the problem is neither Android nor Apple care about it, and nobody is really making sure it continues to work.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My Sync 3 in my 2016 with a factory replaced to a 2018 Sync 3 unit just auto-updated......support is still there.