Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do I require new engine

Kwikyrag

Hi all
I have a 1.4 fiesta edge 2011 the car overheated then after a couple more miles the oil pressure warning light came on and I started to loose power then it had a death rattle I checked water put a bit in oil was ok.
when I let it cool down it started ok and drove ok until it got warm then it started again I can’t recall the cooling fan kicking in but that might just be me
So would this be the sign of a re conditioned engine TIA

Did the oil pressure light only come on once? or was it coming on multiple times? I wouldn't be driving something with little to no oil pressure. If you drove on it for long enough there would be a good bit of internal wear/ damage

OP
K

Kwikyrag

Thread Starter #3
Did the oil pressure light only come on once? or was it coming on multiple times? I wouldn't be driving something with little to no oil pressure. If you drove on it for long enough there would be a good bit of internal wear/ damage

OP
K

Kwikyrag

Thread Starter #4
The light came on and was red so I stopped checked the water and oil level and they was ok I have spoke to a coup of garages and they both say different things 🙁

If I was in your shoes I would focus on the oil problem first. My first course of action would be to change the oil since it could be broken down. I would probably throw in a bottle of sea foam or some other cleaner to help clean out any potential built up oil globs inside the engine. If possible take it out for a long drive, oil works best at cleaning when it's at operating temp for a long time. Which is why road trips are pretty good for your engine.

For the over heating issue, if you need a temporary solution. I would remove the thermostat. The car should be running under operating temp but that's better than overheating. I would do a full flush of the coolant system and check that the fan and thermostat were working properly. This could be a good time to upgrade the thermostat and radiator. Which would help prevent any future issues as well.

Combatspace

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Keep a keen ear out for your cooling fan and watch your coolant reservoir. I've heard some scary things happening that the reservoir will start to swell if it overheats too much. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but our radiator fans aren't exactly known for being the most reliable.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If the first garage said replace it while the second said drive it, it's probably because the first garage drained the oil, saw a bunch of crap in it while the second one got the fresh stuff.

If it's still drivable with no unusual noises, has normal power and doesn't continue to overheat, then it'll probably be fine for a time. But as is said, plan for the worst, hope for the best. If it does fail, you'll already have everything lined out in terms of tow, temporary transportation and a replacement part on the way.

Even the EEC-IV vehicles had a diagnostic you could run for fan function. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for OBD-II.