Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do not use Shell?

Wait wait wait, someone sum this up for me please. I’ve been using Shell 93 for 20k miles running a stage 1 tune and haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wait wait wait, someone sum this up for me please. I’ve been using Shell 93 for 20k miles running a stage 1 tune and haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No summing needed....Just some No talent ass hat bagging on Shell because they are Incompetent* and needed someone to blame for their lack of critical thinking skills when it comes to making performance cars go Faster.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are some (basically ONE) tuner(s), and a few members on here, who think/claim that there is some ingredient in Shell VPower 93 fuel which does not allow them to tune to the max they want to, and therefore refuse to tune a car with that fuel in the tank.

When I question other (quite competent themselves) tuners about this topic, they have no clue about what I am even asking, so [dunno].

No summing needed....Just some No talent ass hat bagging on Shell because they are Incompetent* and needed someone to blame for their lack of critical thinking skills when it comes to making performance cars go Faster.

He's like the only one actively pushing development of new engine components and turbo kits, I wouldn't say he's a no talent ass hat, lol.
None of the other tuners are pushing the platform like he is in terms of future products.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
He's like the only one actively pushing development of new engine components and turbo kits, I wouldn't say he's a no talent ass hat, lol.
None of the other tuners are pushing the platform like he is in terms of future products.
NEVER mentioned any names* But now that you have made your assumption and connected the Dots for others to see this makes it more interesting.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
93 octane in Texas and Louisiana is really good actually, and if you fill up at a high traffic station the fuel quality is high. If the fuel price is cheap its going to be high traffic ;)
LA and TX has the freshest gas as they have the most refineries in those two states. Unless you get some garbage gas from a Sam's Chevron Truck stop in Van Horn, West TX. The 93 was so bad my mileage dropped like a rock and car stumbled and fumbled until it was 3/4 gone and some real gas put in the car. On top of that it was the most expensive gas I bought @ $4.15 gallon in July on a 4k mile road trip.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
[IMG]https://www.focusst.org/d2/avatars/m/10/10397.jpg?1564737900[/IMG]
Randy@mountune
Registered
Joined Mar 29, 2014
1,289 Posts

#3 · Sep 3, 2014

The min/max values are not something you should really use to make any judgments on, generally speaking. A data log would be more telling in most cases. The Cobb files are good. Lots of people say they aren't good or even worse, but they are pretty good. The fuel you are using might not be the greatest. It will vary from region to region and even station to station. The only issues I've ever had with fuel, personally, were from Shell stations, but that's just my experience. I'd try the Cobb Stage 1 for 91 octane and see how it looks before doing anything else.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have said all along the MP-215 tune I have has never liked Shell, Coyote has no problems with it.

A few years ago I spent a out 6 months logging different fuels on one of my cars and found that Mobil fuels are the best followed by shell. Bp was one of the worst of my local fuels. Mobil also has the highest average e85 by a lot.

This was among bp, shell, Mobil, quick trip, and p66.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is apropos of nothing, but on a recent road trip, I went through Wisconsin, which has 91. I switched to the Cobb 91 stage 3 tune, and it was weak sauce.
I'll be driving out west at the end of the month, to meet my daughter for the first time. I bought the mountune 91 OTS tune to use once the 93 is gone. Gotta be better than the Cobb.

I thought about going to the Cobb 0 tune to save some money, with gas as expensive as it is, but I've never put regular in it. Kinda goes against the grain, to me.
Stock tune with regular gas? Adequate, I imagine, but not much fun. I really like the responsiveness of the custom 93 tune at highway speeds. It gets up and goes.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is apropos of nothing, but on a recent road trip, I went through Wisconsin, which has 91. I switched to the Cobb 91 stage 3 tune, and it was weak sauce.
I'll be driving out west at the end of the month, to meet my daughter for the first time. I bought the mountune 91 OTS tune to use once the 93 is gone. Gotta be better than the Cobb.

I thought about going to the Cobb 0 tune to save some money, with gas as expensive as it is, but I've never put regular in it. Kinda goes against the grain, to me.
Stock tune with regular gas? Adequate, I imagine, but not much fun. I really like the responsiveness of the custom 93 tune at highway speeds. It gets up and goes.
Yeah, stock tune on 87 isn't very fast. I used to do that when I used my fist for door dash. Could you add a gallon of e85 to at least make it a little better? I assume e85 is pretty common in the Midwest.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also, I need to read through this thread to figure out if I've ruined my fist by using Shell.
😱

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #117
Also, I need to read through this thread to figure out if I've ruined my fist by using Shell.
😱
No. It's a disclaimer from a tuner. I still use it myself. I did swap to Sunoco for a bit and didn't see any differences

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
No. It's a disclaimer from a tuner. I still use it myself. I did swap to Sunoco for a bit and didn't see any differences
That's what I assumed. Good to hear it works fine for you.
I may have been a little over-dramatic with my wording 😂

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
This thread will never die.......some tunes like Gorilla 93 XLT super clean Brillo pad infused kryptonite treated gas and some don't.....some use terms like "butt dyno" (a placebo) which I toss in the trash pile. A simple indicator of the performance of a fuel under normal conditions is doing a mileage test over the same route several times with several different fuels. Nothing has changed on my MP-215 2016. Shell 93 here with ethanol provides a 2 to 2.5 mpg loss over the best performing fuel of Midnight Oil (local stations) selling Marathon 93 non ethanol. That is almost a 7% loss in power produced at highway speeds of indicated 75 MPH (73 true speed) on cruise. BP here is second best down by about .5 mpg under the non ethanol.

As also stated Randy at Mountune had issues with Shell on that tune. Works great in our Coyote it seems, just not Fifi. You cannot compare gas from regional areas, the mix for ME is not the same for LA. With all the different mods and tunes what cannot be determined for YOU is "what is the best" other than opinions. The gas that burns the most efficiently will produce the most power, gas mileage is a free and simple test to see what fuel/mix works best with your car. If you race or acceleration is your priority then the 1/4 mile times would tell you much more than your anatomy by using your calibrated "butt dyno", LOL.

I am thankful that here we have choices. My "butt dyno" feels my daughters stock FiST is faster due to the strong acceleration when the torque pulls hard at about 4500 RPM. On the other hand the MP-215 pulls strong lower and builds without the jerking your head back transition. My FiST walks away from hers in third gear. I've been driving way to long to put faith in butt dyno's. I prefer numbers and visual data. My rotary Mazda's did not feel fast due to a fairly linear power delivery. But they were compared to the competition.
The most fun posts we have are the "what is best" oil, gas, tires, batteries, transmission fluid, radiator, I/C, air filters, oil filters....blah blah blah. And the answer is always the same. What ever pleases you is the best! I can provide a list of what makes me feel safe and secure in the longevity/performance of our Ford cars, I'm sure it would not match any other list.

As to Shell gas I'll pass by a Shell for Fifi and pull in for the Mustang. Gave Shell another test not 6 months ago and same results, still sux in my car with MP-215 tune compare to other fuels. I don't know why and niether did Randy at Mountune, The only quote I have seen from him simply stated the only fuel he had issues with was Shell and no further explanation . We know the numbers don't lie and are not subjective. I paid for my HP and will use the fuel that gives me the performance I paid for. I'm sure most others will use what works for them, human nature at work. As our Forum is predominantly modded cars now the focus is on special mixes to match special tunes and very important to them obviously. At home I use 93 non.....on the road any top tier 93 alky but Shell. Prefer BP for availability and consistency. I do not buy convenience store, supermarket or mystery truck stop gas unless I am in W. Texas or UP MI and have zero choice.

BTW this is not some rouge "tuners" opinion. It was expressed with data to back it up according to Mountune who had to keep their tune legal long before another "tuner" made their claims. I could care less about any illegal tune, that is not me. I lived in Cali for a brief time in '69 looking at and breathing the brown air. No desire to add to that pollution anywhere. To each their own.
FiST on!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A few years ago I spent a out 6 months logging different fuels on one of my cars and found that Mobil fuels are the best followed by shell. Bp was one of the worst of my local fuels. Mobil also has the highest average e85 by a lot.

This was among bp, shell, Mobil, quick trip, and p66.
I wonder if there is any actual functional difference between Exxon and Mobil fuels. [dunno]