Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do older tuners make a difference in the tune itself?

So im asking about the Cobb AP V3 vs V2, or the SCT X4 vs X3. I know newer models offer new features like wifi or better screens ect, but are the tunes themselves enhanced in any way? Is an OTS tune loaded by a V3 any better than one on a V2? If i don't care about the features as i will rarely use the tuner, is there any reason to spend more on the newest version?

Also if anybody knows, do the SCT tuners work for all Fords? I found a few listings of the X4 and X3, they are listed for GM, Chevy and Ford. Are they a do all for all 3 brands, no matter the model?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
The SCT X3 will not work with the FiST. You need an X4. I know because I had an X3 and the few SCT tuners I contacted told me X3s did not work.

I think only AP3s work on the FiST. I believe AP2s were for Subies.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #3
The SCT X3 will not work with the FiST. You need an X4. I know because I had an X3 and the few SCT tuners I contacted told me X3s did not work.

I think only AP3s work on the FiST. I believe AP2s were for Subies.

Ok thx Ruben, that simplifies it a lot then. Any idea how the X4 tunes are for the FIST? Im thinking about my mod path over the next year or two. I was gonna get a FMIC first then keep an eye open for a tuner (probably AP) but i think i want to swap those, get the tuner first since summer is about over.

I've seen quite a few people say AP is best and i don't doubt that, but im not likely to get into custom tuning and such, even with an AP i'd probly only get a OTS for some power gains. But it's hard to find a level comparison for OTS tunes between SCT and Cobb.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I wanted to run the SCT since just about all performance Ford's are tuned using X3's.

But when I realized I needed to buy an X4 and seeing how few of them were actually purchased, finding one used was not going to be easy. I ended up getting the AP3 because its very common and easy to get second hand.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #5
I wanted to run the SCT since just about all performance Ford's are tuned using X3's.

But when I realized I needed to buy an X4 and seeing how few of them were actually purchased, finding one used was not going to be easy. I ended up getting the AP3 because its very common and easy to get second hand.

Hmm was that a while back? On Ebay there are at least 4 listed right now, in the $2xx.00 range. I could literally order one right now but if it's gonna be a real PITA just to get a basic tune for it, im not interested. I don't want or need any crazy features and tuning, i just want a 93 tune that will give me the basic improvements.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thing is for our cars everyone tunes for the AP3 here in the U.S. Even though they do tune for the x4 in other places they are not running the same ECU or at least the ECU is not programmed from Ford for U.S,. Spec. FiSTs. That is why everyone is using an AP3 as Ford U.S. gave COBB the maps to tune for it.
So even if you just run the Cobb Tunes which are pretty conservative . They are mapped for our spec.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Hmm was that a while back? On Ebay there are at least 4 listed right now, in the $2xx.00 range. I could literally order one right now but if it's gonna be a real PITA just to get a basic tune for it, im not interested. I don't want or need any crazy features and tuning, i just want a 93 tune that will give me the basic improvements.
I got finally sold on the AP3 because of the extra features like LCD display that can be used like a boost gauge, e-dyno and so on. It's a great multi tool for those of us who arent hardcore tuners and won't install auxiliary gauges and constantly make tuning changes.