Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Downpipe Bolts

MOFiST

I should have read up on this before my install but anyways.
On downpipe install I rounded off the head off one of my downpipe bolts and had it in my head to replace the downpipe bolts with stainless ones.
I used marine grade ones.
So now I've done some reading after the event and found out they aren't really advisable due to galling.
Can anyone weigh in on the topic?
I've done less than 1000 miles or so but I think I'm going to swap them out asap as I don't want a future headache.
I did use lots of copper anti seize so fingers crossed I don't want this to blow up large in my face [:o]
BTW anyone care to recommend a suitable replacement bolt grade for the OEM parts or should I only use the OEM parts.
Knowing the price will be excessive down under.
Oh I couldn't find any listing for the parts on the TASCA site either.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The problem with stainless steel or a harder bolt is if the thread is in aluminum or softer than the bolt you can, in some cases, easily pull the thread out. Use a torque wrench if doing this. In any applications similar to this I would simply replace the bolt with something comparable, unless you are sheering bolts. Having the antiseize will make it easier to replace now and in the future so you are good.

OP
MOFiST

MOFiST

Thread Starter #3
OK so I used 316 marine grade. Could I use 8.8 high tensile yellow zinc bolts? I was careful not to over torque them so hopefully no harm has been done.

OP
MOFiST

MOFiST

Thread Starter #5
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I'll make sure I do it right this time. :]

Replacement bolts were $7 each at the dealer for me. Did the exact same thing.

OP
MOFiST

MOFiST

Thread Starter #8
I should price them. With Australia tax it'll probably work out to $30 ea. Lol I mean a litre of genuine Ford trans oil is over $80AUD oO/

OP
MOFiST

MOFiST

Thread Starter #9
Does anyone have the part number please? I tried TASCA and rockauto and came up blank. I actually only need one. The other two are in pretty good shape.

OP
MOFiST

MOFiST

Thread Starter #13
No worries mate, I would be interested to know the cost here too, bet its ridiculous.
$25.68AU per bolt from Stillwell Ford. I've ordered 3 from www.genuineautoparts.com.au with a set of 4 genuine Motorcraft spark plugs for $88AU total. Is going to take few days but that's cool with me.