Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Driveline Slack

A few months ago I installed some powerflex race motor mount inserts in my 2016 Fiesta ST, (my car is approaching 50,000 miles and has a mountune rear motor mount), I had them in there for a few weeks but I decided the drone and vibration increase was a little extreme for my daily driver so I took them out. Ever since, the car had not felt as good as it did before the powerflex install. The driveline just felt like it had a lot of play in it and was really hard to get a smooth shift. If I was off the throttle and then lightly applied throttle during normal driving, I could feel the driveline take up slack before the car accelerated.
A friend of mine has a 2018 Fiesta ST with 10,000 miles on it that is 100% stock and shifted way better. I notice my engine sat significantly higher in my car than it did in his so I lowered the engine a bit. This helped a lot but I'm still feeling that slack when I'm off throttle and get back on maintenance throttle very gently.
My question is: Is this just because my car has five times the miles of my friends car and is just worn in or is there something wrong with the car I should have addressed?
All the motor mounts are tightened down to the OEM torque specs.

Last edited:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I've actually noticed this as well and haven't figured out why. Before I ripped the car apart everything was tight and felt solid but I've put a new motor in, an lsd swap and 4.3 final gear and I notice the trans sounds like it's catching momentarily after throttle it's a weird feeling and doesn't always happen but could also be compared to "slack" in the drivetrain. Let me know if you figure anything out. I also have the powerflexs and don't plan on taking them off.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PhoenixM3

And did you come and report back to us? Lol good to know basis :)
Well, technically, I stated I’d install today......but guilty of not reporting back.... My thoughts on the shims are that it does improve shifter feel a little bit, but it’s not as dramatic as I’d hoped. I dont ‘speed shift’ especially under full throttle, but I certainly don’t baby the car. I really making improvements to the car, and I’m sure that the shims are a notable improvement, but don’t think the shifter feel and accuracy has reached “Miata” level.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, technically, I stated I’d install today......but guilty of not reporting back.... My thoughts on the shims are that it does improve shifter feel a little bit, but it’s not as dramatic as I’d hoped. I dont ‘speed shift’ especially under full throttle, but I certainly don’t baby the car. I really making improvements to the car, and I’m sure that the shims are a notable improvement, but don’t think the shifter feel and accuracy has reached “Miata” level.
Get a Coolerworx shifter, you'll change your mind ;)