Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dunlop Direzza ZIII discontinued?

ronmcdon

yes it is being replaced. I was looking for other sizes and they were also on closeout at Tirerack. Hopefully Dunlop will make a replacement as the tire has been around for a bit already.

I don't know if the hancook rs4 or kumho v730 is made in our sizes, but those are the longer lasting and less likely to overheat tires I'm looking at instead. v730 are so cheap too.

Dialcaliper

It looks to be all sizes. That’s hopefully good news as it means we might see a Z IV version before spring. The ZIII was a top contender autocross tire neck and neck with Bridgestone and BFG when it was new…10 years ago. It’s since been a bit left in the dust by it’s competitors.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Id get the Rt600 in 215/40/17 over the ZIII any day of the week
My friend had the Falkens RT615K+ and I had the Dunlops. His Falkens durability didn't last near as long as the Dunlops. I'm on my second set so far and love them. Do you mean the RT660s?

Also, the RT615 run a little skinnier then the Dunlops. They fit on my 17x8 perfectly

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My friend had the Falkens RT615K+ and I had the Dunlops. His Falkens durability didn't last near as long as the Dunlops. I'm on my second set so far and love them. Do you mean the RT660s?

Also, the RT615 run a little skinnier then the Dunlops. They fit on my 17x8 perfectly
I believe he did. RT660’s are nice and much better than RT615+’s .

ronmcdon

I think the z3's are more similar to the 615s and rs4s in that they last longer and are less likely to get greasy in extended lapping. With my Z3's I could do back to back 20 min lapping in 90 degree weather. Without lapping it also last a long time on the street.

supposedly the kumho v730 is a good hybrid between the 660s and the Z3/Rs3/615's. Sadly it may be hard if not impossible to use them or at least 225/50/16s are too tall a tire at 25' diameter. thats what im going to use on my evo x next. it is also relatively cheap.

660s are great as a daily driver tire or if you don't do extdended hot lapping. had them on my beater civic hybrid before someone destroyed that car. The additional response you get from them (compared to say even the Z3's) make it worth it. would be my first choice definitely for autoX and a car with no need to hot lap.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #9
Ive been extremely happy with them. Not that I push them all that hard. When I saw how easy the oem wheels/tires would spin when I inititially started tuning especially when playing with E30 on the stock turbo I knew the weakest point of the car other than the door and hatch paint...was the traction. Couldnt see the use in giving the car much more power until i got the ZIII's. Wheel spin is completely controlled, I mean i guess I could break them lose if I wanted to but I rarely do anything like that anymore. I am curious to see what the finished hybrid turbo tune is like and how well these will manage the donkey kick.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It looks to be all sizes. That’s hopefully good news as it means we might see a Z IV version before spring. The ZIII was a top contender autocross tire neck and neck with Bridgestone and BFG when it was new…10 years ago. It’s since been a bit left in the dust by it’s competitors.
Hopefully, the Z IV version will be at least the 8.0" tread width of the old Z2s in our 215/40-17 size, if not even a bit wider. [wink]

CSM

1000 Post Club
Ive been extremely happy with them. Not that I push them all that hard. When I saw how easy the oem wheels/tires would spin when I inititially started tuning especially when playing with E30 on the stock turbo I knew the weakest point of the car other than the door and hatch paint...was the traction. Couldnt see the use in giving the car much more power until i got the ZIII's. Wheel spin is completely controlled, I mean i guess I could break them lose if I wanted to but I rarely do anything like that anymore. I am curious to see what the finished hybrid turbo tune is like and how well these will manage the donkey kick.
I can tell you that I spin in 2nd every time on my X37 turbo on the ZIII. I like how the ZIII wears (they last a while), but they struggle with traction compared to other 200TW options

Are you looking for a tire to "hook" for acceleration purposes? I dont think any tire puts down power better than the A052 Yoks, but they are expensive and do not last long at all.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I can tell you that I spin in 2nd every time on my X37 turbo on the ZIII. I like how the ZIII wears (they last a while), but they struggle with traction compared to other 200TW options

Are you looking for a tire to "hook" for acceleration purposes? I dont think any tire puts down power better than the A052 Yoks, but they are expensive and do not last long at all.
Sht still hooks and books though. Mine spins in 2nd with my 2860 but not much, depends if the tires are cold or not. I like that the Z3s last a good while. Even though I have another car and a second set of wheels for the winter, they'll last awhile anyway

ronmcdon

seems like, as expensive as they are the newer re71RS (not the older re71r's) might be a better wearing tire, although lacking in response. but unfortunately they are pricey

CSM

1000 Post Club
seems like, as expensive as they are the newer re71RS (not the older re71r's) might be a better wearing tire, although lacking in response. but unfortunately they are pricey
I have a set of the new re71rs and also the a052 for my Miata.

Stones provide much better feedback. It's easier to feel what the car is doing and they communicate through the wheel wonderfully. They do need a heat cycle or two before they come to life. They're stiffer and louder than Yoks for highway driving. Pure grip is about on par with Yoks but they're easier to drive IMO

If you are on a camber challenged car they will wear very fast on the outside shoulder.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #16

So I have run my finalized revision for about a day now...yeah I break 2nd loose big time. When they are warm they hold a little better but wow..

I guess I just want to maximize grip as much as possible without sacrificing too much of some other aspect i.e (turn in) for when some GTI is in the other lane thinking hes gonna take me...lol.