Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Electric power steering malfunction again please help

Stkid93

Premium Account
Hey fellas,

It’s starting to get cold again here in Connecticut and so my power steering problem has come back. It happens on a cold start, once the car warms up it’s fine, and it’s not every time either. But sometimes when starting in cold weather the power steering doesn’t work and the esc light comes on.
(It’s the light next to the low gas light, not the traction control light at the bottom near the no seatbelt light) Last year I tried changing the battery, didn’t work. I took it in twice. And both times they were able to pull a code, but not recreate the problem.

They said it’s a common issue with fords and electronics don’t like the cold, and to turn off the car and restart and it will go away, but that doesn’t work for me. after looking it up it does appear to be a problem in several fords including the pick ups and suvs, along with the fiestas. It ranges through several years. They basically said since nothing was actually broken, there was nothing to fix. But I think they were just trying to get out of doing a warranty job. And since they already looked at it, if I kept bringing it in, I had to pay out of pocket for a replacement car, etc.

So again to summarize, it only happens sometimes, brand new battery, no parts are actually broken according to ford, restarting the car doesn’t work, and it fixes itself right after the car warms up a bit.

Intuit

3000 Post Club