Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine cover on or off?

I wanted to find out what everyone prefers - do you like the engine cover in place? Or do you prefer to have the engine exposed? And why?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I lived where the temps got stupid low (like the northern tier upper Midwest) I would probably put the cover back on every mid October, and then remove it in late April (to retain a little more top end engine heat).

But since I do not live there, and it has not been getting very frigid here lately, I just leave it off, and 'live' with the resultant slightly louder injector tick, and valvetrain noises. [wink]

Last edited:
OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #3
If I lived where the temps got stupid low (like the northern tier upper mid-west) I would probably put the cover back on every mid October, and then remove it in late April (to retain a little more top end engine heat).

But since I do not live there, and it has not been getting very frigid here lately, I just leave it off, and 'live' with the resultant slightly louder injector tick, and valvetrain noises. [wink]
Sadly I live in winter territory. Although this winter has been the mildest I’ve seen in Pittsburgh since I moved here 15 years ago. I’d love to keep it off. Engines are beautiful creations especially when you mod them yourselves and love to look at the result! 😁

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Since I am still running the factory radiator, I feel like I MUST leave it off during the summer months, as every little bit of heat dissipation helps (even though some might claim that helps 'cook' the paint on the hood that much quicker, especially since I also removed the under-hood 'blanket' insulation as well [dunno]).

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I leave mine on, and live in Texas only because it would be one more stock car part I would have stored in the garage.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #6
Since I am still running the factory radiator, I feel like I MUST leave it off during the summer months, as every little bit of heat dissipation helps (even though some might claim that helps 'cook' the paint on the hood that much quicker, especially since I also removed the under-hood 'blanket' insulation as well [dunno]).
I never thought of it for that reason. Good idea!

I leave mine on, and live in Texas only because it would be one more stock car part I would have stored in the garage.
Haha, yeah, I totally understand that!