Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Missing Engine Cover

Hey guys,

So when I bought my 16 FiST back in October I noticed it was missing it's engine cover. How crucial is it to have one? Like does it offer noise/heating/cooling benefits? Also is there aftermarket routes to take instead of looking for a used/oem one.

Cheers,

Adam

PFA

s-l300.jpg

I think it help reduce some of the noise form the injectors and other bits in the head. I usually pull mine off heading into summer because I'm allowed to in my autocross class, and it gives me a better view of the wacky plastic that is all over our engines. Haven't noticed any issues leaving it off.

OP
Adammm
Thread Starter #4
I think it help reduce some of the noise form the injectors and other bits in the head. I usually pull mine off heading into summer because I'm allowed to in my autocross class, and it gives me a better view of the wacky plastic that is all over our engines. Haven't noticed any issues leaving it off.
Thanks that's good to hear. I think I'm leaning towards it more for looks tbh.

I've got one I'd sell but shipping to Canada mighty be tough.
Fair, that's no worries. I can look around scrap yards or keep my eye on ebay for one to pop up.

It helps to suppress engine heat from the hood. I'd say it's a must have, if you care about your paint. The clear coat on your hood will start to fade and eventually will need to be repainted, if you run your car long enough without one. This is especially for turbocharged engines. If the car is not turbo, then I'd say you could run without an engine cover and it's all for aesthetic purposes.

OP
Adammm
Thread Starter #6
It helps to suppress engine heat from the hood. I'd say it's a must have, if you care about your paint. The clear coat on your hood will start to fade and eventually will need to be repainted, if you run your car long enough without one. This is especially for turbocharged engines. If the car is not turbo, then I'd say you could run without an engine cover and it's all for aesthetic purposes.
Thanks for the information, with that, I'll definitely be looking for one.

Thanks for the information, with that, I'll definitely be looking for one.
Np, yes you should definitely have one. The excess heat from running without one, will also warp your hood over time, and you'll notice that you'll get the "oil can" effect. As in you could just press down on your hood with a little pressure and it'll go down and then pop right back up.

Mikey456

I took mine off and that blanket off. No problem with the hood. I think it disperses the heat better IMO and loses the weight in the front.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

I'm talking about over a time of 10+ years. Maybe sooner if you're running a big turbo. Regardless, I wouldn't want to buy this guy's car ^^^^ if it ever goes for sale.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here's a pic of what the underside should look like, for you or anyone else looking for one.
IMG_0231.jpg
They cut a lot of the noise suppressing material out. I suppose that's to clear stuff on top of the engine.

I've seen people come here and ask about the ticking sounds the injectors make. :D It's a noisy little motor.

Mikey456

The plastic hoods are really for show. Back in the day the cars did not have them. My Mk2 Gti 16 v had a beautiful intake manifold to look at. There was no plastic lid.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The plastic hoods are really for show. Back in the day the cars did not have them. My Mk2 Gti 16 v had a beautiful intake manifold to look at. There was no plastic lid.
There was a time when an engine could be gorgeous.
1619060940073.png
Our engine is a fine little engine, but pretty it ain't.
1619061038217.png
I think the engine cover serves 3 purposes: It's a heat shield, a noise suppressor, and keeps all those hoses and wires clean and dry.
Also, it covers up all that crap, because it's not pretty.
OK, 4 purposes...

Mikey456

I thought about where the heat should escape and its right above where the turbo is. U can see where rubber trim was trimmed. You can also feel the hot air coming out with ur hand. I like it better than the hood vents because I like the OEM look.

Business6

Between turbos and all the electronics it's really no surprise that engine bays are not shown off or more featured outside of exotics. More compact bays like ours also lose out on potential routing for the sheer sake of cramming everything into such a small space.

Looking at a modern NA engine from the ND2 Miata, though, the difference is pretty amazing. I'd really love to see how our engine bay would look with a wire tuck, too
323A2008.jpg