Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

EVAP Purge Valve

I have been having an issue sporadically where the car stalls when idling after filling the tank up with gas. From my research, this is common with the Fiesta and Focus. See my questions below:

1. If I take the car to the dealership would it be covered under the 8 year 80 000 mile federal emissions warranty? My car was purchased 3.5 years ago and has 20k miles.

2. Is it an easy fix for the dealership and what parts would they replace and what work would they do?

3. I do also notice a gas fume smell in the cabin periodically. Could this also be related to the purge value and would fixing the valve issue resolve this as well?

Thanks!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This is an issue that a lot of people have reported. One thing that helps is stopping at the first click when filling up the car, not topping it up. Have you been topping up your car?

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
This is an issue that a lot of people have reported. One thing that helps is stopping at the first click when filling up the car, not topping it up. Have you been topping up your car?
I have not been topping. Is it easy for the dealership to resolve and would they give me a hard time about the 8 year emissions warranty. Do other people report the gas smell in the cabin in conjunction with this issue?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have not been topping. Is it easy for the dealership to resolve and would they give me a hard time about the 8 year emissions warranty. Do other people report the gas smell in the cabin in conjunction with this issue?
I have not heard other people report the gas smell. I'm not sure how dealerships resolve this issue.

I had that issue fixed back when still under warranty. They listed these two replacement parts on the work order: C1BZ 9C915 A and F2BZ 9C047 C

I'd like to add that I've experienced this issue again recently, but I'm guessing it due to bad gas or something because the issue is not consistent... I go to this one shell station, and I don't have any issues there.

Also, I've noticed that there's a reduced probability of stalling if I wait until the fuel light turns on before I refuel - I can't figure out what the correlation is exactly.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
I had that issue fixed back when still under warranty. They listed these two replacement parts on the work order: C1BZ 9C915 A and F2BZ 9C047 C

I'd like to add that I've experienced this issue again recently, but I'm guessing it due to bad gas or something because the issue is not consistent... I go to this one shell station, and I don't have any issues there.

Also, I've noticed that there's a reduced probability of stalling if I wait until the fuel light turns on before I refuel - I can't figure out what the correlation is exactly.
Thanks. Do you ever notice gas fumes in the cabin? I notice this and I think other people do who have the purge valve problem.

I have been having an issue sporadically where the car stalls when idling after filling the tank up with gas. From my research, this is common with the Fiesta and Focus. See my questions below:

1. If I take the car to the dealership would it be covered under the 8 year 80 000 mile federal emissions warranty? My car was purchased 3.5 years ago and has 20k miles.

2. Is it an easy fix for the dealership and what parts would they replace and what work would they do?

3. I do also notice a gas fume smell in the cabin periodically. Could this also be related to the purge value and would fixing the valve issue resolve this as well?

Thanks!
I actually just started experiencing this issue where she began having a rough idol before she started stalling. It sounds stupid, but I used a fuel cleaner on my (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1VBQRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) FiST and after about a half tank she's returned to normal. Again, sounds like a stupid side bar, but if you're experiencing the same thing I was it is a cheap solution.

I was thinking that a fuel system cleaner may help, but what if our issue has something to do with moisture build up in the fuel tank?

I know I've seen STP water remover at some point while shopping a couple of years ago... maybe I'll go and try that...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was thinking that a fuel system cleaner may help, but what if our issue has something to do with moisture build up in the fuel tank?

I know I've seen STP water remover at some point while shopping a couple of years ago... maybe I'll go and try that...
Gasoline floats on top of water* It is why you can dump gas into water and light the surface on fire. Save your money

Last edited: