Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Factory employ gorillas to put on oil filters?

Just got done with my first oil change and almost did not get the oil filter off...

I have a band type oil filter wrench and the end of the filter was pretty dented up before it finally started to come loose and I thought the threads were stripped because of how many times it took to get it off. In the past I have had to drive a screw driver through an oil filter to get them off but don't think there would have been room for that.

Anyone else have any original filter problems like this?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
No datalogs; didn't happen.

Kidding. Most everyone has had that problem.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Every oil change...even when I do it.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

I use a cap style wrench with a ratchet and the filter comes off easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that on the first oil change. I had to almost completely cut the outer case off the filter so I could get a screwdriver into the inner section. The gasket sheared in the middle and I had to scrape it off the block.

No problems on the rest of my oil changes after that. I rotated the spring clamps on the oil cooler around so they don't slice my hand up anymore.

It is so hit or miss... it seems like half of the shops are using tools to tighten them up these days. I actually have a free oil change with Ford, but I always do it all myself, that way they always come off nicely.

For my DD (Audi Q5), I had Audi-care which is supposed to be free service for the first few years... but when I swapped my winters on I discoverd they cross threaded half of my wheels studs last time I was there, which they of course deny. Upon reviewing my dash cam trying to prove it was them, I found they had taken my car out for a two separate joy rides; one where they drove around with the music cranked so loud it was frapping the speakers, and another where some guy drove it to a secluded lot and routed through the entire car top to bottom looking for valuables... f--king punks. So Anyway, getting back on topic, I changed the oil myself next time and the filter was on so tight I damn near had to tear it in two to get it off.

Moral of this story... find people you can trust or just change your own oil, the automotive world is full of idiots
I would have had a conversation with the GM of that dealership. What assholes. Makes me want to actually use the valet mode on my AP. Never have, but with stories like this......

As for the filter, my first change was no problem. By far the easiest way to get stuck filters off is with a high quality cap wrench. Not the cheap stamped ones at AutoZone, but the cast aluminum ones. Assenmacher is one example of the cast brands. They don't slip or slide like the cheap ones.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just got done with my first oil change and almost did not get the oil filter off...

I have a band type oil filter wrench and the end of the filter was pretty dented up before it finally started to come loose and I thought the threads were stripped because of how many times it took to get it off. In the past I have had to drive a screw driver through an oil filter to get them off but don't think there would have been room for that.

Anyone else have any original filter problems like this?

First of all....you're doing it all wrong. Ditch that band wrench knuckle busting bullshit you call a oil change tool. I grab those and throw them in the trash at my house if someone brings one over. This is the end all be all of oil change external filter removal tools....here's the link.....it's a lisle speciation tool....none of that claw shit either....this is where it at for removal....http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8

Boom! Mind blown....[clap]

First of all....you're doing it all wrong. Ditch that band wrench knuckle busting bullshit you call a oil change tool. I grab those and throw them in the trash at my house if someone brings one over. This is the end all be all of oil change external filter removal tools....here's the link.....it's a lisle speciation tool....none of that claw shit either....this is where it at for removal....http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8

I have this exact tool. It still slips on applications where the access is tight. In my experience nothing is better than a cast cup style wrench.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The claw variation I've had slip....but I've never had an issue with this one....of course I modified with with a non slip floor paint on the edges of the tool where it makes contact with the filter. Even when it didn't have the non slip paint on it it never had the issue of slippage. I guess it depends on how handy you are with your tool I guess.

Oh, I'm handy with tools....for me this is just one that doesn't get used. Whatever works for you.

Maybe tomorrow night I'll post a pic of all the oil filter tools I've accumulated over the years. Kind of like gun holsters for those that shoot. Lots of different ones with only a few used.

OP
Thread Starter #15

Looks interesting...only time I have ever had to use a wrench on an oil filter is on a vehicle that did not belong to me. I always put my filter on by hand so they can be taken off by hand. Of course there is one vehicle on the place that does not have an oil filter - someone would have had to cough up $8 back in 1960 to get the canister oil filter for this motor - but who wants that extra hassle when doing an oil change...

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yup my first oil change used a ratcheting claw style with a 3/8 breaker bar. I heard they were on tight but damn. Now I man handle it on tight (3/4 turn once rubber seats) with a weebit of oil on the ring and it usually come off without a tool. To get grip I ware rubber/latex gloves.

The claw I use is not the cheapy kind. Looks similar to this but beefier I think as each claw is 3/8 round. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000R...&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=claw+oil+filter
[MENTION=3563]TyphoonFiST[/MENTION] I had one of those cup end filter extractors like you have break on me once. Not saying yours will but not all tools are created equal.

Looks interesting...only time I have ever had to use a wrench on an oil filter is on a vehicle that did not belong to me. I always put my filter on by hand so they can be taken off by hand. Of course there is one vehicle on the place that does not have an oil filter - someone would have had to cough up $8 back in 1960 to get the canister oil filter for this motor - but who wants that extra hassle when doing an oil change...

Packard? Now you guys know the rock dosent just make money on ford commercials he works part time for them making sure every thing that comes of the line on a car when hes around is on tight

OP
Thread Starter #18
Not quite - Packard bought this company in 1956 to form Studebaker-Packard (they were also the importer for Mercedes-Benz at the time as well) but it became only Studebaker again starting in 1963...engine in above photo is in a 1960 Lark with 53K original miles...