Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Factory fill oil is green?

Opie

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to confirm the factory fill is green. I've seen it passively mentioned in a thread or two but I'm crazy and need direct confirmation. I called two Ford dealers and ford customer service and all three said green is not normal!

I am trying my best to follow the engine 101 break in so while changing my oil (300 miles alittle late) I took the oil cap off to speed draining saw green and I about lost my mind. Please quell my fears!

Thanks everyone

Ryan

TUX15ST

Interesting i will have to look at mine, im pretty sure ford doesnt use break in oil so it shouldnt be any weird color however it could be tinted from the assembly lube and such so it may be normal

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
mine had a greenish tint. Same way Royal purple has a purple tint. Dealers my think green like coolant has they say no. Nothing to worry about.

OP
O

Opie

Thread Starter #4
Great to here. Immediately I thought coolant but I'd expect a milky oil. This stuff is like alge green. I'll post a picture for future reference once I'm at the computer.

I got a great deal on the car so I was beginning to suspect dealer sabatoged so they would make some warranty money. Cynical brain....

Thanks for easing my worries

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Great to here. Immediately I thought coolant but I'd expect a milky oil. This stuff is like alge green. I'll post a picture for future reference once I'm at the computer.

I got a great deal on the car so I was beginning to suspect dealer sabatoged so they would make some warranty money. Cynical brain....

Thanks for easing my worries
Could always take a sample and send it to blackstone labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) if not this time the next oil change. $30 for a peace of mind if cheap.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I thought I read somewhere that the original oil fill might be tinted green to make it easier to detect oil leaks, but don't know if this is true. I'm on original oil at 300 miles and mine didn't appear green on the dipstick. I'll do a break-in change about 800 miles.

My 2016 factory oil was green. That's normal.

I work for a marine engine manufacturer, and we also dye our factory oil and fuel green. The dye makes the fuel/oil glow under UV light. Makes it easier to inspect for leaks at the factory.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It is normal......one reply on the forum said it was a dye in the initial fill used in assembly for leak checks. Freaked me out when I changed mine the first time. Remember these engines are not built in Mexico, so they have the Ford factory oil used in the UK Ford Bridgend Engine Plant.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The original formula GC (German {made} Castrol) 0W-30 was green in color, but this was all gone about 10 years ago now, and I doubt that it would/could be a factory fill, even over in Jolly 'Ol England, even if it did still exist.

The dye thing is my guess. [wink]

OP
O

Opie

Thread Starter #13
Glad to hear it's normal. I initially thought uv dye but it did not light up for me with my light. Maybe the glow factor wears off over time. Surprised none of the Ford people I spoke with had a clue about the green tint.

Glad to hear it's normal. I initially thought uv dye but it did not light up for me with my light. Maybe the glow factor wears off over time. Surprised none of the Ford people I spoke with had a clue about the green tint.
The real Ford people are here, so have no fear.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

haste

1000 Post Club
Finally got around to getting the factory service manual and found some information about the green dye in the factory fill.

Item: Dye-Lite? Gasoline Engine Oil Leak Detection Dye 164-R3700 (Rotunda)

Fill Capacity: 29.6 ml (1 oz.)

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Finally got around to getting the factory service manual and found some information about the green dye in the factory fill.

Item: Dye-Lite? Gasoline Engine Oil Leak Detection Dye 164-R3700 (Rotunda)

Fill Capacity: 29.6 ml (1 oz.)
That's good to know, thanks for posting.