Federal 595 RS-R vs Z2 star spec

pob

Member ID
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in how the federal 595 rs-r in 215/40/17 compares to the dunlop direzza z2 star spec? The federal is much cheaper and I was wondering if the price savings is worth it . My main concern is GRIP, I want grip to prevent wheelspin in first and second. I don't care too much about the noise, unless they are way more noisy. I do plan on taking it to the track on occasion, but I won't compete. These will be mounted to motegi mr125 wheels, 17 x7.5. No auto cross. My car is cobb stage 2. Thanks for your help.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Member ID
I only have experience with the federals. I run 205/45/16. For a street car and the few times I ran the 1/4 mile they grip pretty good for the money. Actually they are a great value. Noise? I don't notice any noise at all, I also have a full exhaust so maybe that has something to do with it? I think the RSR is a great tire for the price

Member ID
Is the Federal 595 a relatively new tire. I see some info about them from the UK, are they available in the states?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Member ID
Drifters swear by these tires, if that is worth anything. With that being said I use to run these on my Mazdaspeed 6 and thought they were great bang for the buck and wouldn't mind picking up another set when I get new wheels for the ST

Member ID
77$ a tire right now on sale lol

Member ID
personally, i autox on the federal 595 rs-r with my svt focus. i run 205/50 r16
i absolutely love them. i have tried to find the limits to these tires and still havent found them.
7 events on the tires and they are still doing amazing.

i want some for my fiesta now to daily on.

Member ID
oh and the tires aren't a new tire. They just aren't sold by TireRack or Discount and so they are not common knowledge in the states.
i purchased mine from onlinetires.com
i hope to change to a 205/45 r16 when i get replacements for my sumitomo htrz ii on my rotas i daily on now.
autox tires will be swapped for slicks when the time is right

Member ID
I'd like to hope someone brings the updated rsrr's here in the states. They seem to be an all around improvement over the rsr's.

Member ID
Honestly neither of these tires will prevent wheel spin. I ran the federal rsr 235/40/17 and would still spin them. Now I'm on 225/45/17 hankook rs3, I spin these as well more so than the federal even tho the rs3 is a way better tire than the rsr. I am stage 3 tho. The rsr is a great tire to track on for the price, I think I did 5/6 track days on them and had 10k driving miles in them and they were still good. Only a second or two slower than the more expensive tires out there. But for straight line driving you need a tire designed for drag, even if it is a street tire.(drag radial)
My only advice is go wider if you can, it will help more.

OP
P

pob

Member ID
Thread Starter #12
I'm cobb stage 2 with no further plans to modify. I've always driven all wheel drive cars and I find the wheel spin to be annoying at times. I just bought the star specs in 215/40/17, but I'm waiting for it to warm up before I put them on. Its good to know rsr is a good tire, but I decided not to go cheaper route and regret it. I don't expect the star specs to eliminate the wheelspin, but i hope it improves. I do like the way the rear end of this car slides around compared to my 2011 wrx and other awd drive sports cars I've driven. I have a preorder in for a focus rs, but I'm not sure I will receive it or not. I'm pretty satisfied with the Fist, so its a win win either way.