Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feeling a bit bummed about the ST, Thinking of trading it in...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I bought my FiST for a few reasons but the main one was it was just too much fun to drive. I had the RWD car that handled amazing. The FiST was more fun. I love RWD , I had to buy the FiST , The FiST was slow but damn it was so much fun. I had to buy the FiST. The FiST was tuned up cheap economy car. I had to buy the FiST. I needed a daily , I had to buy the FiST. Get the re occurring point here. I drove the FiST and knew just from driving it down the street that I had to have one.. No regrets it was cheap enough that I can get another car besides it.
I put suspension in it coilovers. It actually rides better than stock! I am putting a Turbo on for a bit more power not going nuts. Its still fun it rides better. Its sticking around.
I do not let other peoples opinions affect my choice of it and you should not either.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
As someone who has owned (well my dad but whatever) a GTI, and a Focus RS. I can tell you that I enjoy my Fiesta much more than those other two options. I even test drove a Veloster turbo (previous gen though) and the fist was miles ahead of it in terms of enjoyment. If you wanna trade it then go ahead but the simplicity of modding, the genuinely great community, and the fun factor of the car mean I plan on keeping this car forever! There may be better options available but for the price and character of this car you would be hard pressed to find something different. The practicality of the car is great too. Helped me move out of college and at one point fit seven people in it. Also I am 19 so not only old folks drive these haha.

I get a kick out of these posts, because some people just don't "get" the concept of a basic automobile. You want basic then try driving a 1970 VW Beetle as your only car. Mine was steaming fast for a Beetle, I managed a 14.3 second 0-60 time with it. As Air Conditioning, that happened when you turned the vent windows backwards. Heat, you had heat that only got the car warm until the moment you got to your destination. Basically if it was moving you were cold.

On the plus side they were cheap to operate and the ride was actually very good. In addition the seats were some of the best seats put into an automobile. BTW, I believe that one reason why VW's carry such a good reputation for quality is due to VW
spending time getting the seats "just right". I'll also note that the dual CV joint Beetles actually had very good cornering qualities once you adapted to the trailing throttle oversteer. Note, the rule for a Beetle or Porsche 911 back then was to trail brake to the apex and roll into the throttle at the apex. In addition you NEVER lift off the throttle mid corner.

What we have here is an evolved version of the Basic Automobile. While I am not too fond of some of the gadgets I have gotten used to them. In the case of my FiST it's every bit as fun as that old Beetle was but the FIST has a much better power to weight ratio and it won't lift the front tires off the road when it hit's 105. Hey, if you want better seats then get a VW. If you want rear drive get a Miata or BMW. As for the Jap or Korean hot hatches, I'll just remind you that the FiST rules the roost in Autocross.

HOT TAKE:

I’m going to tell you to trade it. You sound young and the Fiesta doesn’t have the same cache a BMW/VW/Subie/Honda have in social circles. You’re going to be unhappy if you keep it.

Most of the FiST owners here are older guys that have owned various types of cars before. Past experiences have let us appreciate the FiST for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. The Fiesta is my 10th car and it makes me feel like a young guy, with no hair

CSM

1000 Post Club
Sounds like OP is allowing others to get into his head a little bit. Not trying to be a jerk, but just making an observation. Who cares what they think of your car?

Yes its a fiesta. Yes it is a low budget car and not as nice as others. But the driving joy you get out of it, along with low cost of ownership, along with somewhat decent practicality....I'm not sure there is another car on the market right now that can compete $ for $ with the Fiesta. There is a reason this car has been a favorite amongst auto journalists, and why its one of the most frequently recommended cars for low budget performance.

Just have to figure out what you value and then make sure your automotive purchase aligns to those values.

HOT TAKE:

I’m going to tell you to trade it. You sound young and the Fiesta doesn’t have the same cache a BMW/VW/Subie/Honda have in social circles. You’re going to be unhappy if you keep it.

Most of the FiST owners here are older guys that have owned various types of cars before. Past experiences have let us appreciate the FiST for what it is.

This is a pretty sweet perspective. Thanks.

I'm in my mid-40s, and the FiST is the second car I've bought new. I've had other quick cars before, but what sets the Fiesta apart for me is that is is a great balance of fun, practicality, and especially value. It is not a status car. It's not the most comfortable car. But is is like that rare significant other that is great fun to be around even years later. Sure, it not the prettiest car around, but I always crack a smile when I see it waiting in the parking lot after work. Cops don't follow me around waiting for illegal hijinks like they did when I had a WRX.

I compete in autocross, it is a big part of who I am. Straight up nothing beats raw dogging a Porsche or Corvette's time around a high school parking lot. Sure, others are faster, but so what? Are they going to brag to their girlfriend they just beat a middle aged dude in a Fiesta?

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #29
HOT TAKE:

Would you be surprised to know I'm 35 😋 I am insecure as hell though because of anxiety problems I've been dealing with for ages.

Cars I've had in the past are 91 Talon, 98 Talon tsi awd, 04 Wrx and now i currently own a 03 Forester STI i imported from Japan plus the FiST. The Forester is the daily (awd for our long winters and i can dismantle and rebuild a Subaru blindfolded so easier to maintain) and the FiST is the project car atm.

Loving the feedback guys. It sounds cheesy but it's making me feel better about the FiST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Loving the feedback guys. It sounds cheesy but it's making me feel better about the FiST
When I was researching the car, I was really impressed with how many serious automotive journalists were just raving over it, that really won me over. I know we're all saying make your own decision, but it's nice to get positive reinforcement from knowledgeable people. Here's a statement from one that I enjoyed, and hopefully you can enjoy it and it will continue to make you feel better about the car-

No more fun can be had for twice as much money. So here’s the ridiculous statement that I wanted to make earlier:
The Fiesta is the best car I’ve ever driven.
Maybe not the best car for sitting in or for taking to a dragstrip or for showing off how much money you make, but for driving? No question. It manages to do the impossible—it inspires nearly endless confidence while keeping the nannies and electronics out of the way.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/02/barks-bites-welcome-24-month-long-fiesta/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
HOT TAKE:

AGREED, as this is most definitely NOT a ride for social media status seekers, and approval/'likes cravers'. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
4. In regards to cars..... Doing your own thing in the face of criticism and not taking the lemming route... F'n priceless
^^^THIS!!
I love it when people ask me what this car is, as they cannot figure it out, and are used to seeing ONLY the sheeple SUVs/CUVs that they all are compelled to drive, exclusively, and these cars are actually rarities. LOL
(I am fully de-badged on the hatch door, so they cannot even read the model of the car there. [wink])

When I go to work at ARA rallies, there are maybe 5 FiSTs there at most, among all of the workers and spectators (including the ones actually competing, but more if you include the EcoBoost SE based R2s, and the R5 spec Fiestas competing, thankfully).

But it is an actual Scoobie PARADE/MEET, as there are thousands of them there, of all models/types, and as much as I admire their performance and AWD capabilities (and aesthetics for the most part), I am not one to conform to the 'usual thing', and follow the crowd because they say so. [nono]

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Would you be surprised to know I'm 35 [emoji39] I am insecure as hell though because of anxiety problems I've been dealing with for ages.

Cars I've had in the past are 91 Talon, 98 Talon tsi awd, 04 Wrx and now i currently own a 03 Forester STI i imported from Japan plus the FiST. The Forester is the daily (awd for our long winters and i can dismantle and rebuild a Subaru blindfolded so easier to maintain) and the FiST is the project car atm.

Dude, I’m 36 and work in the petrochemical industry (aka oil refineries) where everyone is a badass that drives a truck.

They always look at me side eyed when they see my orange-wheeled Fiesta. LOL.

That Forester STI sounds fun. You have experience with more powerful platforms. If you like the car, keep it. If it’s time to move on in your heart - hunt down a r32/r33 GTR!

PhoenixM3

I just do NOT get this at all. [???:)]

Is this the latest import fanboi 'hate meme' against this car (maybe because it was offered by a domestic manufacturer??), due to us paying less for something MORE fun than their shit?!? [dunno]
Their shit is just as 'prone' to rolling over (or NOT) as ours' is, so they can go pound the proverbial effing sand.
Yeah, I have no idea where this BS is coming from.

I haven't run into any negative comments about my FiST....at least not yet. Most people think its just a fiesta and ignore it or they actually know something about cars they will be like "hey man thats really cool, how do you like the ST"? I know we all agree that this car is not really "fast" but I will tell you this, there has not been a single person who has ridden in my car that has not commented on how snappy it is, or how it really pulls under boost, and when you can be in 5th gear going up a pretty steep hill (like we have in the southern tier of NY) and it keeps pulling faster and faster you have to remind yourself that this thing is "just a cheap econobox" otherwise heaven forbid I just might mistake it for a really great car!!

Would you be surprised to know I'm 35 😋 I am insecure as hell though because of anxiety problems I've been dealing with for ages.

You were probably eating everything alive in the 91 talon

DAW

I bought my FiST for a few reasons but the main one was it was just too much fun to drive. I had the RWD car that handled amazing. The FiST was more fun. I love RWD , I had to buy the FiST , The FiST was slow but damn it was so much fun. I had to buy the FiST. The FiST was tuned up cheap economy car. I had to buy the FiST. I needed a daily , I had to buy the FiST. Get the re occurring point here. I drove the FiST and knew just from driving it down the street that I had to have one.. No regrets it was cheap enough that I can get another car besides it.
I put suspension in it coilovers. It actually rides better than stock! I am putting a Turbo on for a bit more power not going nuts. Its still fun it rides better. Its sticking around.
I do not let other peoples opinions affect my choice of it and you should not either.
What did I just read? Hahah

Dpro

6000 Post Club
What did I just read? Hahah
A point that was being made that your mind was too feeble to comprehend? lol

all jokes aside its pretty obvious. It states I bought my FiST because well its pretty damn fun, reliable,economical, utilitarian little car., that behaves like a sports car.
Oh and I do not let other peoples opinions about it get in the way of my enjoyment of it.
hope that helps. lol

Does your car make you happy? That's what it boils down to. I LOVE driving booger, especially since he has the recaros. The only thing I have done is whoosh RMM, new outer tie rod ends, and a shift knob to match the paint. My plans are bilstein B6 or B8 struts and shocks with stock springs, new LCAs and a 2 point brace from whoosh. I'm doing all the suspension before I add a hybrid turbo and intercooler. I'm truly in love with my car and the color. Driving it relieves my stress even though I work from home, so not as often as I would like. The only thing that has gone wrong is the blend door click.

Attachments

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #40
A bit of an update as you can see my other thread. Decided to keep the FiST found a ton of rust, Ford won't cover it. Now i don't know if it's worth fixing the rust or selling it. Would need a new door and a carbon fiber Hood (cheaper than oem hood + paint) minimum and I'm worried there's a lot more rust i can't see. Most of it is bubbling under perfectly good paint and i have no idea how the moisture got there.