Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta Cat Back w/Inceased Performance while remaining Quiet?

I realize this is almost an oxymoronic request, but I am curious if anyone has had success in this arena. I am looking for a cat back exhaust that will increase performance without drastically increasing volume. I've considered at catless dp with stock exhaust but am curious if anyone has found a 'performance' catback system that keeps the volume to a minimum while increasing flow, spool, and performance. Any recommendations?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Exhaust isn't a performance enhancement....Gains are very very minimal. Its mostly for the Sound. The one thing that might help with spool is doing the DP....that too is also not much but something. Thermal R& D Exhaust...its what I roll and got a steal on it used from another member. Love it...the only complaint is the Clamping system needs to be checked periodically and possibly re-tightened/torqued.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
The stock exhaust and intake tract are actually very well designed. Theyre adequate to about 300+ hp.... Basically even hybrid turbo territory.

Instead of spending $500 on intake and exhaust mods do yourself a favor and buy a tuner.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nope....Not on a stock Snail.....You will become noisier ...Virtual Ronin did a comparison of Catless and catted Dp's and there wasn't much difference between the two it was within a couple of hp and tq of each other...I recommend staying with a the very least a high flow cat due to emissions and not having to deal with Raw fuel smell that can happen with Catless. The stock exhaust isn't as restrictive as you'd think. There are people on here Running Hybrids and BTs with stock exhaust without issues. The best thing with the Thermal is that its not loud until you really get on it and there is hardly any drone like other exhausts have.....look at the thread Clitbeastwood did on exhaust/Helmholtz resonators.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #6
The stock exhaust and intake tract are actually very well designed. Theyre adequate to about 300+ hp.... Basically even hybrid turbo territory.

Instead of spending $500 on intake and exhaust mods do yourself a favor and buy a tuner.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Gotcha, thanks. Already have a APv3 and Mountune tune.

Since this was already posted, can someone respond with a direct answer to the OP's question: "I realize this is almost an oxymoronic request, but I am curious if anyone has had success in this arena. I am looking for a cat back exhaust that will increase performance without drastically increasing volume "?

I had a 3" MBRP installed and while running a GT2860R I was seeing 290WHP which dropped to 265/270WHP after installing a stock exhaust, so yes, at least to me, there is a considerable difference. Not to mention it's spools slower too boot. :( Anyway, what's the quietest 3" exhaust available for these cars? Also, has anyone modded the MBRP by adding an additional muffler to it in order to tame it a little?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
A catless will do nothing except make your car stink and pollute 20x more. The stock exhaust is fine for a stock turbo. If you want more noise, there are plenty of cat-backs out there.
There are lots of threads here that discuss the many options.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Performance is negligible....especially with a stock snail. When you start getting into Hybrids and BT's that's when it plays a larger roll in performance but still it's not a huge amount either....alot of it is about the sound. As I have stated many times before....Thermal R&D makes one of the best exhausts for our cars that doesn't drone hardly as much as some of the others that are cheaper....Buy once cry once as another member had put it. Which is totally true in this situation....every once in a blue Moon a Thermal comes up for sale....I think I got the last one that did. Great purchase!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

So the Thermal R&D is the only real quiet 3" exhaust available for the car? Anyone have luck modding the MBRP to quite it down?

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So the Thermal R&D is the only real quiet 3" exhaust available for the car? Anyone have luck modding the MBRP to quite it down?
By the time your done with the effort and costs you could have just dropped the money on a Thermal and be done. No regrets buying the thermal right off the bat!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't consider these cars to be loud at all. I have a 2.5 fswerks catback exhaust I've installed their systems on multiple Vehicles. The ST is the quietest among all of them. 2.5 Cat-Back exhaust would be a improvement over the stock system. My fswerks is straight through even the rear mufflers is a straight through design. Is it loud no it's fairly quiet to me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

There’s a difference between loud and noisy. I like the sound of my Thermal from idle to redline. As loud as it gets which is not crazy loud, it is not noisy. It is tuned to eliminate drone and booming noise with Helmholtz chambers and what’s left is a gurgly burbly sweet symphony of 4 banger angels singing. 🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼

Btw if you stay stock eliminate the kazoo and get an intake with dual inlets. This way you can hear the engine and spool and when you go bigger turbo(real turbo lol) you have one less part to buy. Look at the build thread and you’ll have a good idea what to buy when you know what you’re trying to achieve. 🏆🏆🏆

I have zero firsthand experiance with it on the FiST, so bear that in mind, but coming from the VW community the Miltek exhausts have always been some of the quietest. I was around many and the quality and performance was top notch. I think their FiST system is 2.75" and available with or without a resonator.

I have to think catted aftermarket or stock DP, and a resonated Miltek will be right in the OP's wheelhouse.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #16
I have zero firsthand experiance with it on the FiST, so bear that in mind, but coming from the VW community the Miltek exhausts have always been some of the quietest. I was around many and the quality and performance was top notch. I think their FiST system is 2.75" and available with or without a resonator.

I have to think catted aftermarket or stock DP, and a resonated Miltek will be right in the OP's wheelhouse.
Thanks! That might be a route to run down.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The cost to tame the mbrp drone puts it about even with a thermal. I have spent well more than 2 thermals worth just toying with exhausts (because its fun, i know its a waste of $$) and am a huge advocate for the thermal. All my acoustic research led me to design what is basically identical to a thermal. No amount of tweaking is going to make an MBRP more cost effective than a thermal if you want to eliminate drone. The only reason I spend the time and money doing the exhaust modding stuff is because I enjoy it - if I wanted a "one and done" I'd just buy the thermal.

** at this point I am practically a shareholder at my exhaust fabricator :p after having a few Ti exhausts fabbed, a couple other cars fabbed, and my FiST go through several iterations I get my fab work pretty cheap but it still doesn't equate to being cheaper to mod an mbrp than just buy a thermal.

Well, on a positive note, I've already got a true 3" DP I wasn't using, so I suppose the Thermal R&D exhaust would put that to use. I just wish it was closer to stock sounding. It's nice being able to flog the car a little without drawing any unwanted attention. You never know who's listening and judging. The Thermal R&D may not have any drone but it still seems to be much louder than stock based on the youtube vids.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, on a positive note, I've already got a true 3" DP I wasn't using, so I suppose the Thermal R&D exhaust would put that to use. I just wish it was closer to stock sounding. It's nice being able to flog the car a little without drawing any unwanted attention. You never know who's listening and judging.
IT'S better than stock sounding....its what they shouldve used from the factory.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: