Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta flat towing

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Bumping this thread - interested in towing my Fiesta with a tow dolly. Front wheels on the dolly, rear wheels on the ground. Anyone done this before? Tips/tricks? Probably going to figure out how to make the front bumper quick disconnect.

The front bumper is quite large and includes the entire grill…and is sort of flimsy when it is not attached to the car. Why would you want to make a quick disconnect nose for the car? Has it been lowered?

if you are worried about clearance to the ramps you can either get some little ramp extenders or small blocks of wood to decrease the angle. That would be a lot easier than making the nose of the car into a quick disconnect .
Stetson

View attachment 53889
I have been flat towing my Fiesta ST for about two years with no issues. I think it is a great vehicle to flat tow. it is light behind the RV and fun to drive at my destinations. The nice thing about flat towing is you dont need a dolly or trailer or anything. Just unhook the towbar when you get to your destination and you are good to go.

Stetson

I am interested in flat towing a 2017 Ford Fiesta ST (manual transmission) with all 4 wheels on the ground. The Ford manual states all manual transmission Ford Fiesta St's can be flat towed. But Get Jerry.com and other online forums state it can not be flat towed. What Ford Fiesta models can be flat towed going up to 70 MPH? What automatic transmission Ford Fiesta models can be flat towed going up to 70 MPH? Are there any Ford Fiesta models that can not be flat towed?
I had a similar quandary with my manual transmission 2003 Sentra SE_R Spec V where various publications said I could not flat tow the SE-R, but that all other Sentra's could be flat-towed. When I spoke to a company that makes and sells Base Plates, Tow Bars and RV towing accessories, they told me that the Sentra's SE-R's front bumper cover and bumper was different (lower) than the lower level Sentra's and that their base plates (the part that attaches to the car being towed) would interfere with that nose, so my only solution was to either poke nasty holes in my SE-R nose or get a standard front bumper and bumper cover. So, it wasn't something mechanical in my case, but something more cosmetic. I suspect that with a manual trans ST, maybe its the intercooler that is different on the ST's than the Non- ST Fiesta's and that is why the Non ST's are approved to tow and the STs are not. I would call Roadmaster who makes these things and puts out a guide on which vehicles can be flat-towed every year and hope you get someone who was as knowledgeable as the woman I spoke with who knew the exact detail as to why my car had interference issues.

I wouldn't use the Ford Manual or even the towing document that someone else posted as it is likely full of so many CYA (cover your ass) language that it might be possible, but they are trying to cover all bases as to not open themselves up for a lawsuit.

BTW I flat tow, my auto transmission Ford Edge Sport for years and have never had any issues, so whoever posted "you should never tow with any automatic transmission (whether you worked as a triple A tow driver or not) clearly has no understanding of the advancements of the newest automatic transmissions.

View attachment 53889
I have been flat towing my Fiesta ST for about two years with no issues. I think it is a great vehicle to flat tow. it is light behind the RV and fun to drive at my destinations. The nice thing about flat towing is you dont need a dolly or trailer or anything. Just unhook the towbar when you get to your destination and you are good to go.

Stetson
Hey Stetson, Thanks for the great news, may I ask, what brand and model of base plate do you use? Did you have to modify your front bumper cover at all? thank you thank you

Hey Stetson, Thanks for the great news, may I ask, what brand and model of base plate do you use? Did you have to modify your front bumper cover at all? thank you thank you
I am pretty sure it is the blue ox. I used the ready brute tow bar which has the surge braking system.

you do have to modify the bumper cover, you will need to cut holes in the grill for the safety chains, the Clevis for the tow bar attachment and a spot for the lights. I will post a picture of the front of mine so you can see.

The install is not difficult - but it is time consuming and tedious at points.

Stetson

Attachments