Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Went on a 5400 mile cross country road trip. Got anywhere from 28 to 37mpg. You can tell how much difference in gas quality. From state to state. Some much better than others. Gas mileage falls sharply over 80mph. On my 10 mile city commute to work. I can get 34mpg. And drive with a light foot 95% of the time. Can tell lots of you guys are lead foots. I've slowed down in my old age.

Jerickson88

Went on a 5400 mile cross country road trip. Got anywhere from 28 to 37mpg. You can tell how much difference in gas quality. From state to state. Some much better than others. Gas mileage falls sharply over 80mph. On my 10 mile city commute to work. I can get 34mpg. And drive with a light foot 95% of the time. Can tell lots of you guys are lead foots. I've slowed down in my old age.
65-70 is my sweet spot. 75 and she falls quickly. I usually shop at known brands for my fuel.

Took a trip to Brooklyn Park, MN from Wichita, KS and got 33.7mpg. Cruising speed around 80mph the whole way. Left Wichita with a full tank and only had to fill up once on the way up with a little over quarter tank left once we got to Brooklyn Park. Normal driving around Wichita the FiST is seeing 29.8mpg. Spirited driving on occasion depending on the mood.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Averaging 24mpg with 80-90% city. My best tank was 27.3mpg going from LA to SD and back. That was mostly highway but still several slowdowns and some city gridlock on the way back. My lowest has been 22.3 mpg. My highway miles @ 80-85mph so pushing 3200-3400 rpm. To get the advertised mileage I’d need to slow down and have access to better gas.

Honestly this thread is a relief because I thought I was the only one not getting the advertised numbers. Now I see that my mpg is typical for other LA FiST drivers. Our city driving is worse than any epa circuit. It’s not light to light, it’s steady part throttle creeping at 5-15mph. And even when you’re on a freeway you’ll hit stretches of 15-30 slow and go.

Spaceman_Spiff

65-70 is my sweet spot. 75 and she falls quickly. I usually shop at known brands for my fuel.
X2. Drove from St Louis to Chicago and averaged 47mpg at around 67mph. I must have had a tail wind, tho, because on the way back it dragged (drug?) my trip average down to 33mpg.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk

dmb

Booster, its hard to get good mileage when your sucking everybody's exhaust. I think the word is EGR. or SMOG although I got 33 mpg on a round trip to wrightwood.

Yeah that crossed my mind. My engines sucking in carbon monoxide as much as oxygen. It’s a special kind of hell when you get stuck in a back up going up a big climb like the 5 coming out of the Central Valley.

dmb

Ya thats one steep azz grade. Years ago when trucks didn't have horsepower you always got stuck behind the guy who would not move to the right. twin sticks 9 mph to the top. I know it well.

I get about 31 going back and forth to school (work from home), all stop and go country road driving when on 93 octane. Getting 28 mpg on the E30 tune in the same scenario.

Took a road trip last month to Salt Lake City, averaged 34.3 mpg overall but had it as high as 37 in some parts. Mostly on the 91 octane tune since once I got outside of the Portland/Metro area, I didn't find 92+ until I got back.

All of these tunes are from Jason at Dizzy Tuning

I've seen my mileage improve and now at 10k miles I'm confident it's mostly stabilized at 28-30 in the city, mostly commuting/stop n go.
On the highway, I'm not sure, I've only had a couple trips this year but I returned 37mpg using the accessport stage 1 fuel economy mode back in the spring, I suspect it'd do better now.

I normally only do short commutes to and from work. Literally 11 minutes door to door. All city driving, averaging 23.5 to 25.5 mpg depending on how often I get stopped at red lights. Occasionally I will take "Clarkson" out on a long enough trip (40-70 miles each way) and get a good feel for my mileage. Cruise control is anywhere between 69 and 74 depending on the rest of the traffic flow. Heading into LA from Rancho Cucamonga, I push 39 and change. On the way back it's in the high 33's to low 34's. I do have two minor mods. Injen Cold Air intake and Depo Racing intercooler, if that makes any difference.

On a 4 hour highway trip with stops and on ramps I was able to get 37mpg. Day to day I drive 8 miles to work of local roads and drive the car pretty hard. Normally I get ~26 mpg.

In my experience trying to actually save fuel I found that I average around 21 MPG. I find that the car has very short gearing (for my taste) and the smaller the engine the worse it does on the highway. On the street is where it’s size really benefits the most (if fuel savings is what you’re looking for.) once you start driving past 2k RPM you can expect the ECU to allow more fuel into the cylinder so keep that in mind.

In my experience trying to actually save fuel I found that I average around 21 MPG. I find that the car has very short gearing (for my taste) and the smaller the engine the worse it does on the highway. On the street is where it’s size really benefits the most (if fuel savings is what you’re looking for.) once you start driving past 2k RPM you can expect the ECU to allow more fuel into the cylinder so keep that in mind.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I drive around in California, that’s where I’ve done my testing for myself.

karp

I filled up at a Love's in South Carolina and my car hit 42 mpg on a highway drive to Raleigh. I set the cruise at the varying speed limits the whole time, mostly 65 to 70 mph on I-85. Not sure if the amazing mileage was because I was generally going downhill in that direction or if perhaps I got ahold of a no-Ethanol tank of 93 gas. The place was very close to a large lake.

On the way home to Atlanta, I only managed 37 after filling up at a Sheetz, driving like the exact same grandma once again. I thought 42 was astounding. I've never seen mileage that good in the Fiesta.

I generally average about 29 babying it on my daily commute. If I beat on it, I get 24.

cxwrench

You regularly shift at or under 2k rpm, yet you get averages of 21mpg? I've never averaged that low even hammering on the back roads.

LILIKE16ST

How you drive and how you HAVE TO drive are the biggest influencing factors to your fuel economy. The only time I've averaged low 20s is with several very short stop-and-go commutes right in a row. He's in Lynwood, which is basically LA, so it's probably the LA traffic that's doing it to him. My normal commute results in 29mpg at the worst, and I typically see 33mpg these days. Highway driving gets me close to 37mpg average.
Also if you're lugging the engine in higher gears at low rpm it's going to use more fuel than being at higher rpm with light throttle. I would keep rpm above 2k and below maybe 3 k in normal driving just keep light on the throttle how heavy you are on the throttle has way way more to do with fuel consumption than what rpm you're at or what gear you're in

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also if you're lugging the engine in higher gears at low rpm it's going to use more fuel than being at higher rpm with light throttle. I would keep rpm above 2k and below maybe 3 k in normal driving just keep light on the throttle how heavy you are on the throttle has way way more to do with fuel consumption than what rpm you're at or what gear you're in
Depends on Turbo Size also!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: