Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta st og focus st

André

Hi! I am looking to buy a fiesta st or focus st. I am leering towards the focus,but I'm hesitant due to the engine.is the engine in focus that bad or are many of the incidents,due to bad tuning?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, most people had problems with tuned engines and aftermarket BOVs on the FoST. But, there are horror stories on any car forum. The more you beat on a car, the more likely you are to break something.

The FoST is the nicer car. It's bigger and faster with a nicer interior. I just like the FiST for the go kart handling and better mileage.

Take your time and test drive both. Lots of people leave them stock. That's probably your best bet. Look for an unmodified one with low miles. Just know that they're performance cars, and people drive them like they are.

Driven all the STs. Own an RS and a FiST. This is the best I can describe your choices:
Focus ST (FoST): A front wheel drive mustang. Heavy through corners, fast acceleration, slightly more usable space than the FiST, smoother ride than the FiST. Better for drag races at a street light.
Fiesta ST (FiST): A front wheel drive lotus elise hatchback. Light, nimble, great handling, super responsive steering. Slow acceleration (feels fastish - but isn't), bumpy ride quality. Horrible for racing at street lights. Must be willing to peg the throttle.

OP
A

André

Thread Starter #4
Hi,thanks for the reply. I'm 41 years old and my days driving idiot on public roads are over. In Norway the laws are really strikt,if you deliberately slide or spinn the wheels you can kiss your lisens goodbye and get a 800dollar fine,and if you get caught with a heavely tuned car,that also have consequences. I want a car fore every day youse that I can take to the track,to do autoslalom and race. Upgrades will typical be safe tune with stock engine parts,new shocks and springs,and brakes. We have redicules tax on cars in Norway,a new focus st is priced from 50000-60000 dollars.A nice second hand with low mileage is 25000-40000 us. New Fiesta st is 42000us dollars, nice second hand 20-30 us. The garage prices are also high,so a car with as few faults a possible are a big factor. Here you can se a nice second hand, price is 43000us dollar. https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=159850352

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
With those prices (and cost for petrol) I would do a fiesta. Just make sure your spine can handle the rougher ride.

Driven all the STs. Own an RS and a FiST. This is the best I can describe your choices:
Focus ST (FoST): A front wheel drive mustang. Heavy through corners, fast acceleration, slightly more usable space than the FiST, smoother ride than the FiST. Better for drag races at a street light.
Fiesta ST (FiST): A front wheel drive lotus elise hatchback. Light, nimble, great handling, super responsive steering. Slow acceleration (feels fastish - but isn't), bumpy ride quality. Horrible for racing at street lights. Must be willing to peg the throttle.
So I had a Fost for 3 plus yrs and traded that in for a fist and I was gonna take my car in for the bouncy suspension.But I guess that's normal ?.Will getting lowering springs help ? or meaty tires ? cuz I really hate how stiff of a ride this car is on 40 sidewall.Thx

So I had a Fost for 3 plus yrs and traded that in for a fist and I was gonna take my car in for the bouncy suspension.But I guess that's normal ?.Will getting lowering springs help ? or meaty tires ? cuz I really hate how stiff of a ride this car is on 40 sidewall.Thx
Start with tires for bouncy suspension. Get a soft sidewall tire. If you can go down to 16's and put higher, but softer, sidewalls on then you'll be very happy.

I have both a FiST and a FoST. Most of what EKFiesta said is spot on. I will add this as well; some people have said that the FiST feels "roomier" than a FoST. This is true but needs some clarification. The shifter/center column sits a fair amount lower in the FiST. This does make the interior feel more spacious to some people. However, the FoST is a few inces wider which translates into more shoulder room. I'll also say that as a slightly smaller person (5'8" / 165 lbs) I "fit" a alot better in the FoST. The distances between shifter/pedals/floor are much more comfortable to me. Having said that; I can see how a taller/bigger person would feel cramped in a FoST.

As far as ride goes, I switched to 15s and 205/55s in the FiST and it rides much better.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have both a FiST and a FoST. Most of what EKFiesta said is spot on. I will add this as well; some people have said that the FiST feels "roomier" than a FoST. This is true but needs some clarification. The shifter/center column sits a fair amount lower in the FiST. This does make the interior feel more spacious to some people. However, the FoST is a few inces wider which translates into more shoulder room. I'll also say that as a slightly smaller person (5'8" / 165 lbs) I "fit" a alot better in the FoST. The distances between shifter/pedals/floor are much more comfortable to me. Having said that; I can see how a taller/bigger person would feel cramped in a FoST.

As far as ride goes, I switched to 15s and 205/55s in the FiST and it rides much better.
Interesting as I am 5’7” and I drove both cars and felt the seating position in the FiST was much more right from the get go. In the FoST I really had to mess around with the seat a lot and then the shifter was too far forward. It was not bad but it just did not do it. If I had no other choice it might have been different . Ya the FoST feels roomier but not in a good way. Its the its a bigger car thing feel. I owned a Focus for several years. For a ok decent daily it was not bad it was actually good . I just feel when it comes down which car makes me smile more and feel like a sports car its the FiST all the way.

Interesting as I am 5’7” and I drove both cars and felt the seating position in the FiST was much more right from the get go. In the FoST I really had to mess around with the seat a lot and then the shifter was too far forward. It was not bad but it just did not do it. If I had no other choice it might have been different . Ya the FoST feels roomier but not in a good way. Its the its a bigger car thing feel. I owned a Focus for several years. For a ok decent daily it was not bad it was actually good . I just feel when it comes down which car makes me smile more and feel like a sports car its the FiST all the way.
Not saying your wrong but I don't even see how this is possible. For me the most important part of my seating position is how close/far I am from the pedals (specifically the clutch). When I am at the same seating position (in relation to the pedals) the shifter in the FiST is farther away because it is lower. In relation to where the shifter is in comparison to other interior components I think the differences between the two cars are negligible with the exception of height. The shifter and the entire center console in the FiST is lower. This isn't a knock on either car. It's just about preference.

It's ironic because my situation was the exact opposite; I had to adjust my seating in the FiST multiple times before I found the "right" position for me. As far as fun factor; the FiST is very fun and it feels faster than it is. The FoST is also very fun and it is very fast (comparatively ofc).

It's odd that people say the FoST is a better drag racer because I think that is misleading. It's just as hard to launch the FoST as the FiST (maybe harder). Most "professional" comparisons have kinda proven this too. Some publications have the FoST at 14.5 and the FiST at 15. That's only half a second!! In a roll though, the FoST pulls much harder.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not saying your wrong but I don't even see how this is possible. For me the most important part of my seating position is how close/far I am from the pedals (specifically the clutch). When I am at the same seating position (in relation to the pedals) the shifter in the FiST is farther away because it is lower. In relation to where the shifter is in comparison to other interior components I think the differences between the two cars are negligible with the exception of height. The shifter and the entire center console in the FiST is lower. This isn't a knock on either car. It's just about preference.

It's ironic because my situation was the exact opposite; I had to adjust my seating in the FiST multiple times before I found the "right" position for me. As far as fun factor; the FiST is very fun and it feels faster than it is. The FoST is also very fun and it is very fast (comparatively ofc).

It's odd that people say the FoST is a better drag racer because I think that is misleading. It's just as hard to launch the FoST as the FiST (maybe harder). Most "professional" comparisons have kinda proven this too. Some publications have the FoST at 14.5 and the FiST at 15. That's only half a second!! In a roll though, the FoST pulls much harder.
oh did not think you where. It also could have something to do to ones proportions physically as someone that has a longer torso and shorter legs or vice versa longer legs shorter torso would have different feelings seating wise. I know my body is pretty well balanced for my height. my torso and legs are pretty equal.
I agree with you about the FoST its not a drag car. It does have decent punch reminded me of my M3 power wise but the Torque steer was vicious in comparison to the FiST.
Then of course both cars should have had a real LSD option stock from the factory.
Of course stock for stock a FoST will pull harder. Though a hybrid or big turbo FiST changes that.
Whidh could also be said for the FoST . I think it comes down what a person wants to do with the car and what they are after.
I just could not get past the FiST making me smile instantaneously which was not the reaction I got from the FoST .
Both good cars but different vibes.

OP
A

André

Thread Starter #12
Thanks fore a loot of good input. Some years back I owned a mr2 mk1 and a mk2. on twisty roads I preferd the mk1,because of go-cart isch handling. Cruising and longer drives the mk2. It seems that the Fiesta has fewer problems regarding the engine,that's a big factor. I can by a insurance with engine and drive train insurance,but it's a bit more expensive. And yes petrol is expensive 2us dollars pr ltr of 98ron. Another thing is that Norway by 2025 due to the Paris agreement,only are going to sell emission free cars. 50prs of all new cars sold this year are electric,manly Tesla and Nissan leaf. There are no tax on El cars and they do not have to pay to drive in to citys etc...we are a sosialelist country,many good things come due to this like all health care is free,universety is free and so on. The price is large tax on wages and a lot of other things. In many ways I think you live more free in the US,as long as you have a good income.

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Most people I know are dependent on their employment for decent healthcare. Most people lose these privileges when they lose employment.

I'd quit my union membership if the health insurance wasn't so good.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
A

André

Thread Starter #15
Most people I know are dependent on their employment for decent healthcare. Most people lose these privileges when they lose employment.

I'd quit my union membership if the health insurance wasn't so good.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
If you get sick here all is taken cear of by the state,the same hospital if you are the prime Minister or a drug adict living in on the street,if you loose you're job the state gives you the same of money you earned at your job fore one year. If you get sick or injured fore life you get 75% of your the money you earned,fore life. If you are born disable or never have earned anything you also get taken care of. There are almost no homles here,the state gives God housing fore every one. The backside is,the taxes are insane. So if you have a education and good job,I would prefer to live in the US.Want to by a 2017 Ford pickup, 170000us dollars 😌. https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=110388927

Last edited: