Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Weights Thread

Dialcaliper

I get what you're saying but a fixed roof is Def more rigid than a sunroof or a t top or vert. When there I'd a hole in your roof the rigidity has to be compromised. But anyways there are several other reasons to not opt for a moonroof other than structural rigidity.
The roof skin is not a significantly stressed panel - majority of the loads go through the side A/B/C pillars (which are basically one piece that gets joined to the floor pan and across windshield and above rear window. The roof is attached with some spot welds down the length. The sunroof does not appreciably change stiffness, but it does add weight up high.

Also, totally unrelated, but I just weighed a stock airbox at 2.4 lbs (top and bottom with stock snorkel, no filter or sensor)

Last edited:
OP
Fiestig

Fiestig

Thread Starter #104
Did you do this mod? If so any feedback?
I just installed it along with whoosh subframe alignment pins, vibra-technics trans mount, and some other misc odds/ends. I was going to toss in the Tecnocraft CF seats, but if I do that I won't be able to tell if there is any difference with the pulley. I can get it out before doing the seats I suppose. I am stock turbo still so I am all about weight and efficiency to get my results(y)

OP
Fiestig

Fiestig

Thread Starter #105
Did you do this mod? If so any feedback?
Took a drive down to LA for my sons college graduation and I can say that there is surely extra power there but not like you would think. Its more of a stronger longer power band feel rather then straight punchy power. It feels great and for the 30min to install, its a winner in my book. Now keep in mind that I am stock turbo and just a tad over 2300lbs so I will feel the power a bit different than most.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I like the idea of shedding pounds off of the car over just throwing power at it. [thumb]

But, I was roundly (and justifiably) blasted by most on here for that, given just how exorbitantly co$tly many of the weight reduction items can be, especially if made out of; carbon fiber/kevlar, titanium, etc. vs. just doing a 'full boat' S280 (or now maybe an S290?).

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Took a drive down to LA for my sons college graduation and I can say that there is surely extra power there but not like you would think. Its more of a stronger longer power band feel rather then straight punchy power. It feels great and for the 30min to install, its a winner in my book. Now keep in mind that I am stock turbo and just a tad over 2300lbs so I will feel the power a bit different than most.
How did you drop 400lbs from the car? Do you have a build thread with all the different stuff you've done?

OP
Fiestig

Fiestig

Thread Starter #108
How did you drop 400lbs from the car? Do you have a build thread with all the different stuff you've done?
My car was 2590-ish lbs to start (no extra options st), so I didn't have to drop 400lbs at all. I don't have a build list but I suppose I should probably do so at some point. The biggest drops are the wheels, tires, wilwood, seats (no rear anything), spare, a bunch of random Ti bolts swapped in. My Tecnocraft CF seats are only 6.3lbs and mounts are 4-5lbs each so say 22lbs compare to 84lbs is a nice chunk just from the front seats. Oddly enough the most expensive crap yields the least losses (minus the CF Seats, those F$%^#ers were pricey) like the CF Hatch (technically free though...lol). Ti exhaust that has yet to go on. My goal is 1000kg so 2100lbs. Yes that means I need to get a little creative still...lol.

The new tire stickers added a couple ounces though...lol. Best part of primary weight loss is that my 100k warranty is all peachy :cool:

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I don't know how that's possible, our cars were ~2,700lbs. Recaros aren't much different than the base model seats and the sunroof hardly adds much weight. How are you weighing the car?

I like the idea of shedding pounds off of the car over just throwing power at it. [thumb]

But, I was roundly (and justifiably) blasted by most on here for that, given just how exorbitantly co$tly many of the weight reduction items can be, especially if made out of; carbon fiber/kevlar, titanium, etc. vs. just doing a 'full boat' S280 (or now maybe an S290?).
The problem with the people that are blasting you is that they are likely just daily driving their car. So from a cost to performance ratio, yes it isn't really worth it. And most being daily drivers they don't want to deal with losing creature comforts. But for a weekend warrior/ track car I can't see why you wouldn't want to weight reduction especially on a stock engine. You keep all the stock reliability and gain acceleration, handling, braking. Less weight means less wear which leads to less cost. You could easily drop around 200 pounds from a completely stock ST for free if you had no concern for comfort.

OP
Fiestig

Fiestig

Thread Starter #112
I don't know how that's possible, our cars were ~2,700lbs. Recaros aren't much different than the base model seats and the sunroof hardly adds much weight. How are you weighing the car?
Sorry, not sure what to tell ya...lol. When I spec'd the car previous to ownership curb weight varied between mid 2500 - 2700+. I used a trailer shipping scale at the time of purchase and it was 2590 and change when weighed. Whether its literally exact or not really makes no difference to me, what I do know is that shipping scales can't be hundreds of pounds off....lol. I know what it weighed at and I know where the weight differences are since thus the og reason for the weights thread. You have to understand that there are many many MANY things I did not mention in the weight loss progression. Some day I will, but for now I will simply be happy with the work I have done to get it to where it is at.(y)

OP
Fiestig

Fiestig

Thread Starter #113
Just to cover the seats and sunroof comment quick. You are talking about a 40-ish lb difference to non-recaro and no sunroof. That's a good chunk in my book

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The problem with the people that are blasting you is that they are likely just daily driving their car. So from a cost to performance ratio, yes it isn't really worth it. And most being daily drivers they don't want to deal with losing creature comforts. But for a weekend warrior/ track car I can't see why you wouldn't want to weight reduction especially on a stock engine. You keep all the stock reliability and gain acceleration, handling, braking. Less weight means less wear which leads to less cost. You could easily drop around 200 pounds from a completely stock ST for free if you had no concern for comfort.
This is true, as look at how most on here complain about a non-cushy ride, and then also add in sometimes over 100 lbs. of in car entertainment electronics, so then their only choice for improved acceleration is moar powah.

I purposely and intentionally ordered this car from the factory with the base seats (with possible plans for future racing shell type seats in the future), and no sunroof (less chance for leaks/rattles as well).
Then I mostly gutted the whole hatch area, save for the rear door cards, and the little bit of liner 'carpet', and plastic on the quarter panel sides, and the spare/jack (since it IS a daily driver, and I do not want to wait for half a day for AAA to tow me home if I get a flat).

The bracing that everyone is so enamored of on here also adds heft (even if it does actually make a difference), and yes, I am slightly guilty of that as well since I have the (less than??) 3 lb. Swave alloy trunk brace going in today.

But, as far as the whole drivetrain system taking less stress (as well as lesser 'consumables' co$t$) with greatly reduced weight, that cannot be argued against, at all.

Back when 4th gen f bodies (Camaro/Firebird) were still a thing, there were those who put fully built, 550 HP+ NA engines, or even more powerful built twin turbo system setups into those almost 3700 lb. (when fully loaded) rides, and then added in 250 lbs. of audio/video on top of that.

They then wondered why they were grenading the already too weak to even handle the factory power LS1s at even a base car's weight, 10 bolt rear axles, and twisting and shearing the factory driveshafts, on not even the stickiest of rear tires.

Last edited:
I had my car corner balanced after getting coilovers and asked them to send me the weight of the car since I was curious. Total was 2762 lbs with a 175 lb driver as well as the roof rack, spare, and jack still in the car (oops). Assuming ~40-45 lbs for the spare and jack and ~35-40 lbs for the roof basket and rack, it would put the car right at 2500 lbs, gutted with ~1/4-1/3 tank of gas.
20230411_164651.jpg
20230411_164643.jpg
20230411_164648.jpg
20220811_085307.jpg