Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta x37 build

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #22
So a few weeks ago I pressed the clutch down and it just stayed down. I popped it up with my foot and it's been fine since. Should I just continue to drive it and not worry or should I be looking to replace my slave cylinder? What do you guys think? Break fluid level looks fine.

CSM

1000 Post Club
So a few weeks ago I pressed the clutch down and it just stayed down. I popped it up with my foot and it's been fine since. Should I just continue to drive it and not worry or should I be looking to replace my slave cylinder? What do you guys think? Break fluid level looks fine.
most likely slave cylinder. Known for going bad on these cars.

What is your mileage?

You got to pull the trans to replace so you might as well do clutch and flywheel while in there. Maybe consider a LSD upgrade too if it is within budget (what a wonderful upgrade for these X37 cars)

upgrade your brake fluid. do it now before temps increase. i had the same exact issue as you last summer and i never had an issue since but it's a ticking time bomb at this point.

even if you can change out the slave yourself, that would be a real pain since you still need to drop the transmission to get to the cylinder. upgrading your brake fluid is something we should all do on this car and it will, at worst, buy you time until you're ready to upgrade the parts @CSM is talking about, at best, it'll resolve the issue you have.

edit: definitely take a close look under you transmission to spot any leaks. if you see something then everything i wrote is moot and you have broken slave cylinder and it needs to be replaced. the fact it sprang back and you're good now makes me think you may be able to get away with just a better brake fluid

i'm recommending this b/c if you're outside your warranty and can't do this work yourself, that might be as much as an $1800 job for a shop to do it. and if you're upgrading your clutch and flywheel while you're in there (which you should since the transmission's already out), that job is getting into the mid$2000s. you can bleed your brake line at home and the really high end brake fluid will only cost you $50ish.

Last edited:
OP
agangel
Thread Starter #25
most likely slave cylinder. Known for going bad on these cars.

What is your mileage?

You got to pull the trans to replace so you might as well do clutch and flywheel while in there. Maybe consider a LSD upgrade too if it is within budget (what a wonderful upgrade for these X37 cars)
Just about to hit 50k

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #26
upgrade your brake fluid. do it now before temps increase. i had the same exact issue as you last summer and i never had an issue since but it's a ticking time bomb at this point.

even if you can change out the slave yourself, that would be a real pain since you still need to drop the transmission to get to the cylinder. upgrading your brake fluid is something we should all do on this car and it will, at worst, buy you time until you're ready to upgrade the parts @CSM is talking about, at best, it'll resolve the issue you have.

edit: definitely take a close look under you transmission to spot any leaks. if you see something then everything i wrote is moot and you have broken slave cylinder and it needs to be replaced. the fact it sprang back and you're good now makes me think you may be able to get away with just a better brake fluid

i'm recommending this b/c if you're outside your warranty and can't do this work yourself, that might be as much as an $1800 job for a shop to do it. and if you're upgrading your clutch and flywheel while you're in there (which you should since the transmission's already out), that job is getting into the mid$2000s. you can bleed your brake line at home and the really high end brake fluid will only cost you $50ish.
Thanks for the recommendation I ended up ordering motul rbf 600 and the motive 0108 break system power bleeder. Hopefully they will arrive by next week and I'll have the system flushed.

Thanks for the recommendation I ended up ordering motul rbf 600 and the motive 0108 break system power bleeder. Hopefully they will arrive by next week and I'll have the system flushed.
if you could keep the forum updated on your clutch as the months get hot i'd really appreciate it. i'll do the same.

i'm still under the powertrain warranty but it's such a weird situation b/c some Ford shops are really understanding and others will fight you tooth and nail for anything that's not recall work. if my clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor; i'm leaking brake fluid; and i need a tow to the dealership. i know i'll be covered. but anything short of that i'm just worried they won't find anything wrong and then i'll be stuck with the bill of dropping the tranny out to inspect.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #28
if you could keep the forum updated on your clutch as the months get hot i'd really appreciate it. i'll do the same.

i'm still under the powertrain warranty but it's such a weird situation b/c some Ford shops are really understanding and others will fight you tooth and nail for anything that's not recall work. if my clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor; i'm leaking brake fluid; and i need a tow to the dealership. i know i'll be covered. but anything short of that i'm just worried they won't find anything wrong and then i'll be stuck with the bill of dropping the tranny out to inspect.
Sure I'll update.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #29
I ended up doing the flush and for whatever reason there was a ton of air in the system. At one point while flushing the slave cylinder the fluid stopped draining. I looked in the car and the clutch pedal had dropped to the floor I popped it up with my foot and fluid started draining again. I then flushed till the fluid came out clear and repeated for the breaks. The old fluid was black. I looked at the transmission and no fluid seemed to be leaking and at the start of the process using the power bleeder I pressurized the system to 15psi and pressure held. I don't know why the system had air in it but the breaks and clutch feel way better now. Hopefully this is the end of that.

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I ended up doing the flush and for whatever reason there was a ton of air in the system. I don't know why the system had air in it but the breaks and clutch feel way better now. Hopefully this is the end of that.
IF the fluid was ever boiled at the slave cylinder (heavily/excessively slipped clutch, hours stuck in stop and go traffic jams in the summer heat, trying for your best 60' drag race launch, etc.), that could have introduced air into the system.

Same with boiling the brake fluid at the calipers/pistons.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #32
I think prior to the flush my clutch must have been slipping. I just did a playful run with a focus RS and my fiesta felt strong. I know the Cobb hp estimate can't be trusted but it spit out some nice numbers. Flush your clutch and breaks!!!!!! Best mod so far!!! Lol

Attachments

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #33
IF the fluid was ever boiled at the slave cylinder (heavily/excessively slipped clutch, hours stuck in stop and go traffic jams in the summer heat, trying for your best 60' drag race launch, etc.), that could have introduced air into the system.

Same with boiling the brake fluid at the calipers/pistons.
Yep all that sounds like a daily occurrence for me.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #34
I took the car out last weekend because my wife wanted to see the superbloom out in Anza-Berrego. The car felt so behaved. I was driving in my usual manner and my wife usually gets scared on the twisties but even she commented on how planted the car felt. The new tires and the track bar tamed the car. It felt really unruly and just wild prior to those changes. Anyway the car is running great and the clutch problem seems to still be solved for now.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #35
So, I have a Uniden R7 radar detector. 6AM I'm cruising and see highway patrol. My Uniden throws the laser alarm. I immediately pull on the offramp which was my intended exit. Highway patrol lit the lights and is on me. I park, turn off the car and roll down the passenger window. Cop rolls up and said(yelling) "Do you know how fast you were driving!?" I said 64MPH. He said I was going 94MPH and he had a lidar gun to prove it. He gave me a ticket. But one take home that he said was "I wouldn't have pulled you over for going 64MPH. Everyone around here goes at least 80MPH." Then on my way home, I see a mustang crew with exotic wraps. Guess what speed they were going? 80MPH consistently for several miles until they took their exit. Does anyone have any other good rules of thumb for not getting pulled over? This is my second ticket in 10 months.

CSM

1000 Post Club
So, I have a Uniden R7 radar detector. 6AM I'm cruising and see highway patrol. My Uniden throws the laser alarm. I immediately pull on the offramp which was my intended exit. Highway patrol lit the lights and is on me. I park, turn off the car and roll down the passenger window. Cop rolls up and said(yelling) "Do you know how fast you were driving!?" I said 64MPH. He said I was going 94MPH and he had a lidar gun to prove it. He gave me a ticket. But one take home that he said was "I wouldn't have pulled you over for going 64MPH. Everyone around here goes at least 80MPH." Then on my way home, I see a mustang crew with exotic wraps. Guess what speed they were going? 80MPH consistently for several miles until they took their exit. Does anyone have any other good rules of thumb for not getting pulled over? This is my second ticket in 10 months.
A highway patrolman who I used to work with once told me "9 your fine, 10 you're mine". I never do more than 9 over the speed limit. I usually do 5 over.

It's not worth the tickets. Just slow down. It ain't rocket science

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #37
A highway patrolman who I used to work with once told me "9 your fine, 10 you're mine". I never do more than 9 over the speed limit. I usually do 5 over.

It's not worth the tickets. Just slow down. It ain't rocket science
9 you're fine 10 you're mine, rhymen all the time! Yass I like it. Gonna remember that one. Thanks

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I go 10% over the speed limit, only more if there are multiple cars going that fast in which case I’ll stick with the faster group. FWIW, I have several state trooper friends here in NC, none of which will pull someone for less than 14 over which is where NC gives you two points on your license.

don't go 94mph?

you're lucky you just got away with a ticket. many state cops would have started the process of suspending your license at that speed or at least charged you with a misdemeanor. the fact you straight up lied to the cop instead of just saying you didn't notice your speed would have just made the situation worse for you. (edit: i'm not suggesting you would have had additional charges. just that cops don't take too kindly to people being that glib and i've personally seen the difference between someone being contrite and matter-of-fact and being...something else) and if you had been driving in the triple digits and he had caught you? yeah just be lucky you weren't caught going 6mph more. i wouldn't be surprised if he did catch you going faster and cited you at 94mph cause going 30+mph is where most of those misdemeanor/suspension kickers start.

also radar detectors are just a pacifier for people who like to drive fast. i'm 38 and it's been a well known thing for the past couple decades that good cops are well aware of all that tech and just keep their guns off until the last second, see you speeding, and then turn their system on to catch you. the radar detector you paid for is just gonna let you know you're getting a ticket before the lights come on.

and look up your state's points system rules. usually cops won't bother pulling people over unless it gets points on your record. most states that's 10MPH or more over the posted limit. but if you're the type who pushes lethal speeds while "cruising" i'm not sure how long you'll be happy staying under the radar (sorry couldn't help myself)

Last edited:
OP
agangel
Thread Starter #40
don't go 94mph?

you're lucky you just got away with a ticket. many state cops would have started the process of suspending your license at that speed or at least charged you with a misdemeanor. the fact you straight up lied to the cop instead of just saying you didn't notice your speed would have just made the situation worse for you. (edit: i'm not suggesting you would have had additional charges. just that cops don't take too kindly to people being that glib and i've personally seen the difference between someone being contrite and matter-of-fact and being...something else) and if you had been driving in the triple digits and he had caught you? yeah just be lucky you weren't caught going 6mph more. i wouldn't be surprised if he did catch you going faster and cited you at 94mph cause going 30+mph is where most of those misdemeanor/suspension kickers start.

also radar detectors are just a pacifier for people who like to drive fast. i'm 38 and it's been a well known thing for the past couple decades that good cops are well aware of all that tech and just keep their guns off until the last second, see you speeding, and then turn their system on to catch you. the radar detector you paid for is just gonna let you know you're getting a ticket before the lights come on.

and look up your state's points system rules. usually cops won't bother pulling people over unless it gets points on your record. most states that's 10MPH or more over the posted limit. but if you're the type who pushes lethal speeds while "cruising" i'm not sure how long you'll be happy staying under the radar (sorry couldn't help myself)
I get that, I'm lucky he ended up citing me for 80MPH 15MPH over the speed limit.