Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First hpde.

haste

1000 Post Club
I haven't used the Z3s but my Z2s did way better on track than the OEM rubber. They never got greasy feeling.

My lap time improved by about 5 seconds with the dunlops compared to the OEM rubber. It was also my 2nd HPDE weekend when I used the dunlops, combination of experience and better rubber.

I did my first HPDE at Laguna Seca last January. In terms of tires and brakes, I had:
-Falken RT660
-Hawk DTC-60 front pads, stock rear pads
-fresh RBF600 fluid

Laguna is a notoriously hard track on brakes, but at my level that setup held up without a sweat in 65 degree track temps. Any 200TW tire will serve you well, and if you don't want to invest in pads, at least get yourself fresh hi temp fluid.

ronmcdon

what run group was this with laguna seca?

have been with speedventures mostly in the past, but getting quite fed up with how many cars they cram in a run group and only 4 groups per day

ronmcdon

have run oem blanks and they did fine it seems other than my front pads melting.

recently got stoptech cryo slotted rotors for the heck of it but have not gone to the track. will do so in late July at Laguna Seca (maybe safest track temp wise in socal summer)

what run group was this with laguna seca?

have been with speedventures mostly in the past, but getting quite fed up with how many cars they cram in a run group and only 4 groups per day
Run group 1 with ongrid, I was lapping about 2:00 flat by the end of the day. There was quite a bit of slower traffic so I'm going to try a higher group next time.

ronmcdon

Yeah I think it's better to be in a slightly higher run group typically as long as you're comfortable with the passing rules. Better to give lots of point bys than to get stuck in traffic.

When choosing which event organizers to join, have looked more into how many cars join up for the day and how much seat time one gets.
Have not really joined with Hooked on Driving, but really like how it's 4 run groups only, 27 cars max per group, 5 runs per day. Will run with them Jul '22 and check out their event.
When I look at Speedventures having over 150 cars on their list, 5-6 run groups, 4 runs per day, one can easily do the math and see what's a better value. A shame bc otherwise their events are good and sometimes its worth it for enrolling in a second run group at discount.

Might be interested in checking out Ongrid this weekend as they have a Streets of Willow. Just emailed them to check out how crowded the groups are and how much seat time I can get. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
I'm spoiled by being a member at AMP. Anyone in Georgia, or nearby, that wants to hit up a member day let me know. It's $250.00. No run groups, unless there are Formula cars or motorcycles. You get open track from 10a - 1p and 2p - 5p.

Yeah I think it's better to be in a slightly higher run group typically as long as you're comfortable with the passing rules. Better to give lots of point bys than to get stuck in traffic.

When choosing which event organizers to join, have looked more into how many cars join up for the day and how much seat time one gets.
Have not really joined with Hooked on Driving, but really like how it's 4 run groups only, 27 cars max per group, 5 runs per day. Will run with them Jul '22 and check out their event.
When I look at Speedventures having over 150 cars on their list, 5-6 run groups, 4 runs per day, one can easily do the math and see what's a better value. A shame bc otherwise their events are good and sometimes its worth it for enrolling in a second run group at discount.

Might be interested in checking out Ongrid this weekend as they have a Streets of Willow. Just emailed them to check out how crowded the groups are and how much seat time I can get. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ongrid has done good events so far for all the track days I've attended with them so far. 4 run groups, 5 runs per day, but I'm unsure about the cars per group. They also do a good job of sticking to the schedule and starting on time.

Ongrid has done good events so far for all the track days I've attended with them so far. 4 run groups, 5 runs per day, but I'm unsure about the cars per group. They also do a good job of sticking to the schedule and starting on time.
I did an OnGrid event in April at The Ridge in Shelton, WA. Overall, a well-organized event and I wouldn't hesitate to register for another event at their early bird pricing. The bad is that they can really pack in the cars and that increases the likelihood of getting a red flag, completely shutting things down, and missing entire sessions. Ask me how I know...

ronmcdon

joined Ongrid today and did 2 run groups at Streets of Willow CW.

Seems reasonably priced and well run. $150 for 1 run group and transponder rental. maybe bc of weather but turnout pleasantly low. maybe 15-17 cars intermediate grp and 5 only for advanced.

4 runs @ 20 min each. they are doing 2
time attack groups so maybe avoiding track days w events like that would get you 5 run groups.

as usual pit workers not on top of use of the blue and yellow flag enough but thats generally the norm I guess. good group overall and would recommend.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Don’t forget about the brake fluid. And, if you are worried about “conserving” the tires - you’re pursuing a wrong pastime…. These are consumables, and investing in track tires is the best thing you can do once you learn the basics.

there's nothing wrong with the oem wheel and tire size.

It might help getting something lighter to reduce unsprung weight. You're probably not going to be able to run significantly wider rubber or wheels without spending a lot.

In my first event ran stock suspension, 16x8 wheels, 205/50 200tw dunlop z3 tires (not significantly wider that what you have), EBC orange pads up front, not that different from what you have, ss lines endless rf-650 fluid, boomba deflectors. This was in 90f weather.
oh also had upgraded radiator, fmic, fmic hoses and oil cooler. my guess is oil cooler and fmic hoses were probably not necessary.

If you don't want to spend much maybe try just upgrading the tires and call it a day. Some people think upgraded radiator and fmic not necessary but I think it's worth it.
If you do eventually replace the pads, highly recommend hawk dtc-30 pads up front for street and track, if you don't mind a tad bit of squealing on the street.

Also highly recommend setting front camber to more than -2. maybe -2.5. Def play with tire pressures.

I'd imagine that upgraded radiator would be a must for tracking in 90F weather. That said, if you don't touch the IC you're inherently limiting the power your motor will develop and that should put less of a burden on the cooling system. So it may very well be a if you do one you may as well get the other.