Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST doesn't roll back on hills?

When I bought my last Fiesta, I was living in Detroit and there were no hills to speak of. It wasn't until I took a road trip to Nashville that I discovered the Hill Assist feature. Now that I'm living in SoCal with hills and mountains all over the place, it's a godsend. I can only imagine what it would have been like to drive here in my old '86 F150 with the 4 speed manual and foot operated e-brake.

I've never used the handbrake on any of my cars for getting started on a hill. Just too much effort compared to getting the clutch engagement right, haha.
Ya the handbrake method always seemed harder than this to me as well. Once you know at what point the clutch starts to engage you can shoot right out to that point and not roll back at all really, maybe an inch if you get sloppy. Although it's still annoying when you've got some fool eating your bumper.

the hill assist feature, doesnt it end up messing up your brakes? its like riding with the e-brake engaged right? thats if my assumption that the hill assist uses the e-brake to hold u is correct.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I don't mind it. I learned how to avoid engaging it... It'll engage when you're on a hill (obviously) and have both the brake and clutch clutch in. If you let off the brake before you clutch in it'll roll back. At least my car works this way.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
the hill assist feature, doesnt it end up messing up your brakes? its like riding with the e-brake engaged right? thats if my assumption that the hill assist uses the e-brake to hold u is correct.
It does NOT use the E-Brake, that is purely mechanical.
It does however use the ABS but only for about 2 seconds after you release the brake pedal.
Just enough time for you to get your foot back on the throttle.

Dave

JasonHaven

I think thats the problem, it takes significantly less time than 2 seconds to get your foot on the throttle then it decides if it wants to let you go or not, or something... I just don't get it. :|

dyn085

2000 Post Club
That's not much of a problem at all because it doesn't leave your brakes locked if you're trying to move.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Yes, the car is smarter than you think.
It does release the brakes as soon after you apply the throttle.

Dave

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I've never had a car with hill assist (or it wasn't active) but I love it. Frequently on steep hills, idiots in their big trucks like to ride up on my @ss and the hill assist means I don't have to worry about the 2 inches of room they gave me when the light turns green. lol

Have this on my BMW as well. I was actually pretty surprised the FiST has it. I don't mind it, people tend to ride your ass in Chicago.

MPA

It should be releasing when you let out the clutch - that's how it was on my WRX. I didn't mind the feature.